Home Technical Talk

Multiple object unwrap

I have 13 separate pieces (ED209) of a low poly model. I applied an Unwrap UVW modifier whilst they were all selected and then unwrapped them all via normal mapping. I have been unwrapping it piece by piece but on the same uvw template if that makes sense however I noticed on the 5th piece that there were some double sided polygons which might cause some visual artifacts.

Is there a way to go back into edit poly mode for this piece, remove the offending polygons, and then continue unwrapping it as part of the initial 13 object unwrap?

This is mainly so that when I re-unwrap it the pieces are proportionate in size to the other bits of the inital unwrap, or will I have to just apply a generic UVW unwrap and scale the pieces down and match them as best I can?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    a number of ways you could do this:

1. collapse everything down (all objects, so they're just EPoly), then delete the offending polys from whatever object, then re-select all your objects and re-add Unwrap UVW modifier.

2. add an Edit Poly modifier on top of whichever object has the offending polys, use this modifier to delete the polys, continue unwrapping as before - then collapse in the end once everything is unwrapped.

what you DON'T want to do is delete the polys without collapsing the unwraps down, otherwise there's a chance you'll mess up the unwrap on that particular object (since the face counts/ids won't match anymore.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried idea 2 I applied an edit poly on top of the object, removed the polys, applied a uvw unwrap on top of this and then collapsed to the edit poly beneath it. I went into edit UVW and the unwrap is mostly there except theres now some funky connections between the new vertices i've created but at least its still part of the initial unwrap and about 90% of it has my initial unwrap.

Seems to be working it hasn't crashed or anything. Cheers :)