Home General Discussion

Im going to Berlin and i need....

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Suggestions on cool stuff to do. I am a huge World War two buff so hit me with all you got as well as nightlife stuff as well and vacationing there on the cheap. Beer suggestions too. Hell just anything that is generally cool to do. I have a week or so.

Replies

• katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    make sure you visit east berlin, I geuss most stuff is cheap there and there is a lot to do. I wish I could remember names but I geuss I forgot (alcohol and memoryloss, anyways). There are a lot of art museums in Berlin, they are awesome......

heh I searched on google maps, oranienburger strase. Lot of stuff going on there, but Berlin has a lot more to offer!!!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    March 11th,its still up in the air really. I was informed i had 16 days of paid vacation i had to use before april and thats when i requested but i still need approval.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    hmmm, i might be in berlin aswell :D we could meet to have a few pints ;)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, i might be in berlin aswell :D we could meet to have a few pints ;)

Hell yeah man,would be like London all over except for no MightyPea :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I was there last week. Spent most of the time in the east and preferred it to the west. The shops and bars were cooler. The transport is great, so stay with walking distance of an U-bahn.

We stayed a few streets west of Prenzlauer Berg and got our flat from here: www.berlin-styleapartments.com

I drank anywhere that was open and only really worried about the shopping.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh excellent linkl,ill see if i can afford an apartment but i was just planning on finding a nice hostel. I will be by myself and i just need a place to put my stuff and sleep. Will be hitting musuems during the day and bars and nightlife at night.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Natural History museum was great, the contemporary art musem out near Hauptbanhof was great. The stasi museum didn't live up to my expectations I'm afraid.

Burg and Schild for your jeans!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Any of you guys been here?

http://www.klo.de/set_main.htm

Suggested to me by a friend,seems like an interesting place to get a drink.

What do you mean by Burg and Schild Rick,is it a place to buy clothing?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, they sell jeans and boots. There's a nice wee bar just next door for a few daytime beers.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, they sell jeans and boots. There's a nice wee bar just next door for a few daytime beers.

Ooo nice,would be nice to buy some clothing while im there. Clothing here is so damn expensive.

I am trying to figure out if 400 euros spending money will be enough for a week. Im thinking for food i can do like i did in London and eat small cheap food during the day and save the money id use eating at a restuarant on beer and such. The unknown factor is the cost of musueums. I know thuraday alot of the museums are free so i am going to milk that as much as possible.

Any tips for doing the trip on the cheap? Does 400 euros sound alright?

What about World war 2 museums,any definative must go to museums?
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    We were there a few years ago and wanted to see Hitlers bunker but it was "closed indefinitely", it looked like an empty lot. Apparently the Germans don't want to remember 1930-45. *shrug*
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    We were there a few years ago and wanted to see Hitlers bunker but it was "closed indefinitely", it looked like an empty lot. Apparently the Germans don't want to remember 1930-45. *shrug*

Hmm if thats the case why do they still keep open the huge Russian soldier memorial. Think its rather odd that memorial is still around in Berlin
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    do either a full day walking tour or bike tour. it will hit the broad strokes of the history of the city and help you decide what you want to see more of on your own time. know going in that germans are weird. first time there i went to see ms kitten play a dj set, and went to go to the club at 2330. the dude in the taxi laughed at me. i ended up going and getting some food, going back to the hostel and taking a nap, and then hitting the club at 0200, and i was still one of the first ones there!

on a side note: im going to be in berlin in march as well. mid to late march, but if your interested in meeting up javier, PM me and we can set something up
  • kio
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ive had a slight change of plans,some of my friends here wanted to go to Berlin as well so it seems like i will be going to Berlin in April instead of August. Ryan it would have been cool to hang out with you while there but my friends really wanted to go as well :(. You have any other tips you can give? Any and all would be appreciated. Also why are you in Berlin? Business or pleasure?
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    berlin is pleasure. my girl has never been to the EU and i wanted to visit friends still living there. im in AMS for 6 days, berlin for 5, london for 4, and dublin for 2 (st patty's day). planning on hanging out with the (still remaining) sls crew in ams, then visiting fufu in berlin, seeing some shows there, still planning things to do during the day. anna and andre live outside london and peter and his girl are going to meet me in london one day as well. meeting some of anna's friends in dublin for st.pattys, then back stateside. im really looking forward to it man, it would have been cool to meet up with you in berlin as well, its been to long javier!

as far as more berlin tips, rick has it nailed that east berlin is much better than west. they still have all the trams like in AMS, as in the west they tore them out to try to encourage people to buy cars (just like in america! the western ideal!). the shops are more personable and more art oriented.

i cant remember what the name of it is, but there is a massive bombed out department store or something that has become a huge artist community. you can walk in any time, and if the doors are unlocked you can wonder through, its really awesome. i spent like 6 hours wondering from floor to floor, room to room, talking to artists from all over the world.

**edit**
    found the name of it and some video. its called Tachles and its pretty damn sweet.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGWPeuwB1vY[/ame]

when i was there i stayed in a hostel called east seven. awesome atmosphere, good prices, the dude at the desk was awesome in getting me set up with a rented bike and directions to anything i could want to see. there was a constant flux of australians as well, which always seems to liven up a joint.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    oh dude... how long are you planning to stay?
    theres so many museums... and sooo many beers to try :D

"What about World war 2 museums,any definative must go to museums? "

you won´t find too many ww2 museums, but rather memorials.
    eg the russian army memorial with the t34 (?) tanks or the "luftbrücke" exhibit near my place.

since youre into art i can only suggest you the potsdamer platz, theres alot of interestin architecture (sony center, DB Building, Hyatt Hotel) and museums (new nationa gallery).
    also the museum isle is a place to go, which also has the egyptian museam etc.

too much to list mate :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's quite some good local beer in berlin, can tell you that! Oh and check out Potsdam if you get the chance.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah be sure to check out the Tachles. I think it's becoming a bit hip now (trendy lounge bar in the upper floors now?) but still, a great art community.

When I went a few years ago I was mostly hanging out in the east, lots of great architecture to check out.

Enjoy your stay!!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ryan: Yeah dude it would have been fun,ill have to be honost i have a small ulterior motive to moving my trip to April,my girlfriend has vacation during April and she wants to go to London but it seems her friend is faltering in her plans to go so if she cancels her trip i am hoping she comes with me to Berlin :)

Tachles is something i am definately going to go to while i am there.

Rumkugel: I plan on going for a whole week,its kind of a shame they dont have alot of World War 2 museums but i looked and in April there is an exhibit about Stalingrad at the Deutsch-Russisches Museum.

e-freak,drinking the local beer is something i am definately looking foward to in Berlin as well as Prague.