Home Technical Talk

ShaderMap = Crazybump competition

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
Just thought I'd link everyone to this.
http://shadermap.renderingsystems.com/

MUCH cheaper. $19.95 for a commercial license vs $299 for Crazybump commercial.

Replies

• Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Well, that looks like a buy to me. I miss crazybump though. We had some good times together. :(
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's pretty incredible for only 20 bucks!
    I was thinking about buying a non-commercial copy of crazybump, but might have to check out shadermap instead.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I have had this for a while. The support is amazing. If you report a bug on their forums, they will fix it and release an update within a week. Atleast, it's like that from my experience. I really recommend it!
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    im very happy with it!!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    IIRC the licensing has been changed around with crazybump, the $100 version being a *personal* copy, not a non-comercial copy. Also there is a student version for $60 for you cheap-o's as well. The $300 version as i understand it is for companies purchasing.

Anyway, we've already got a thread for this.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=817621

So if $100 is for a "personal commercial" license now...does $299 let you install on more than one seat?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    not as far as it says on the site, junkie.

but it also still says non-commercial personal licenses on the site even though it may possibly be commercial too now? so it could just not have been updated, I guess
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wait, does this really work? I didn't manage to even convert a tangent space to AO (not to mention the viewport dropping every other triangle...)

shadermap.jpg

Considered getting this,but eventually buying CrazyBump instead I think...
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh...well...that sucks pior. Thanks for pointing that out. hmm...weird stuff.

EDIT: btw what is a DUDV map?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    for AO from normals i found it to work best if i start with a height bias of 0 and a shadow of around 80.

really like the program so far :)
    cheers
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior,

dunno if it helps, but I was told you need to triangulate your model before it's
    viewable as a 'custom model'
    (they are evidently fixing this in future versions)

Junkie_XL,

think that's for stereoscopic stuff
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    this isnt perfect, but im very happy to see alternatives to crazy bump. especially in a reasonable price range.

i loved crazybump, but jesus fucking christ man its 300 bucks? fuck that. photoshop is 600. are you telling me that crazybump has half the functionality of photoshop? lat time i checked it was very good at what it did, but that still only a small fraction of what photoshop can do. not worth 300 bucks.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, but the deal is that Adobe is going to sell a couple million copies of Photoshop. Ryan Clark might sell a couple hundred copies of Crazybump, if he's lucky. So, its not like he's robbing people to get rich. Its simple supply and demand. Low supply, low demand, high price.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    All the texture artists in my studio use crazy bump. It's a really great tool.

ShaderMap looks cool, I'll definitely give it a try.

I'm not positive about this but I recall DU/DV maps being used for the refraction maps for water and stuff. Not entirely sure of this though. I've never actually used one.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, but the deal is that Adobe is going to sell a couple million copies of Photoshop. Ryan Clark might sell a couple hundred copies of Crazybump, if he's lucky. So, its not like he's robbing people to get rich. Its simple supply and demand. Low supply, low demand, high price.

except that were talking about software, so infinite supply, low demand, and correct me if im wrong, but that particular combination normally equals out to low price.

dont get me wrong, i think its an awesome tool, extremely useful, and very well put together. i just dont think its fully half as useful as photoshop. and anything it can do can be done in PS, albeit a bit slower and not as easily, but it can be done.

**edit**

its a balancing act. price it high and you will get less sales, but make more money from each sale. price it low and you will get more sales, but less money from each sale. i personally think that its priced too high and hes locked a bunch of people out of the market.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Nice interface but it's not much more than a batch converter that does *simple* conversions of the different image types. CrazyBump on the other hand is much more of a creative tool; if you're just stuffing photos through either of them you'd never know anyway.. bleh. So in that context SM is $20 for a reason ;o)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    photoshop is 600

where?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    and anything it can do can be done in PS, albeit a bit slower and not as easily, but it can be done.

Huh! Not really!
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    photoshop is 600

where?

Not in Germany. We pay around 1200€ for nothing except a localised UI.

I like Crazyump but its interface is horrible and looks like being made from an amateur.
    maybe im to picky about this.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12

i loved crazybump, but jesus fucking christ man its 300 bucks? fuck that. photoshop is 600. are you telling me that crazybump has half the functionality of photoshop? lat time i checked it was very good at what it did, but that still only a small fraction of what photoshop can do. not worth 300 bucks.

Crazybump is a boutique product though, aimed a tiny group of people, so the price has to reflect that it will NEVER, EVER get mainstream sales numbers like Photoshop. I bought Crazybump because I though it was worth the price, and has already saved me more than $300 worth of my time. And the fact that I got to use it for free through it's long beta phase.

I do despise the interface though, a generic windows classic style interface with generic sliders would be better. For some reason my mouse never wants to grab those sliders on the first try.