Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Traped (Game env)

This is my recent project with Quest3d. Its still in progress. I should fix lots of thing. As always i use RNM with HDR.

traped-wip-01.jpg

traped-wip-02.jpg

traped-wip-03.jpg

traped-wip-04.jpg

traped-wip-05.jpg

traped-wip-06.jpg

traped-wip-07.jpg

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is incredibly badass as a whole.

However, a lot of the textures are kindof muddy and blurry, and there's a serious look of inconsistent detail levels -- from a very sharp pillar to a muddy, blurry ground texture -- and sharp transitions. The whole is exquisite, especially in regards to the main room, but a lot of nagging details are messy or rushed throughought the rest of it. Hide the lowpoly corners (that grass does an excellent job where it is, maybe some dead vines along the base of the inner areas?) and sort out the texel density if you really want to push this.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I'm with SupRore
    very cool overall. but it falls apart up close in certain places. The tile/brick floor texture feels low res and mushy.
    The Grass feels spiky and unnatural (and painful) As well as not looking like it's growing naturally (should be along cracks/edges, rather than covering the whole area. Or you should put a patch of dirt/moss/whatever below that area)

I like the tentacles coming out of the end room, and I love the asymmetry there, but the tentacles themselves just feel like big cylinders and need some sort of detail along them to make them feel more grounded and real.

The skull room looks awesome, but the floor texture in here seems low res again.

The lighting outdoors seems like a good start, but could use some more contrast and saturation (blue shadows, orange/yellow light) But the indoor lighting seems very flat and boring. With something as badass as that big skull thing, I would light it in a more dramatic fashion (torches around the room, allowing very dark, scary corners, or colored uplights exaggerating the nooks and crannies in the skull.)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your bustin out some nice work there, and like the lighting too
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got some nice stuff going!

Crits:
    - Grass is way too green, and very sporadic. Grass wouldn't take hold on solid rock. You should also show several generations of grass, and remember that not all grass stays green forever. In general you could add a lot more green and help give the pieces a mossy, been exposed to the elements for a while, look. It might be cool to add more dead plant life also if you're going for a creepy feel.
    - You're missing a lot of broken crumbling dirt and builds up in places.
    paint over:
    Trapped01.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vig I want to have unprotected non-homosexual sex with you (get a sex change) and spawn some fucking awesome children.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make it quick, I wanna have a bay with your guys' baby!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty cool here man. The guys above have pointed out some good things.

Turnerboy pointed out your tentacles and I wanted to touch on that too. Are they supposed to be tentacles of some kind? I had a hard time deciding if they were supposed to be tentacles or roots. They are very smooth, like a tentacle, but the texture looks very much like tree roots to me... well, a slimy tree. I think it would be great to get some variation in there to help tell what is what.

All of the texture color is in the same value area. I reckon you go back in and alter all of your values to break up your scene a bit more, so we can see all of the different parts without them mudding together.

The design is cool and it's well laid out. The detailing on the pillars is looking super cool, and the overall design is fun to look at.

Good work sir!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, its a brush called Moss02 in a set of brushes I've collected, tweaked and made.

Going back to the tentacles. If they're roots, then they grow slowly over time filling in nooks and spaces as they find the path of least resistance. Right now they stretch over gaps as if they knew where they where going, roots don't do that, they have no clue where their end goal will be.
  • Ali Rahimi Shahmirzadi
    very very thansk guys for comments. Its like you are in my mind. Those are exactly what i want to do spesialy vegitation part. well but it take some time.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no problem, just keep going with it, you'll get lots of crits here :P
  • Ali Rahimi Shahmirzadi
    Another update inside maya

tmp.jpg
  • Menechu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, tentacles. I thought of them as bones. As if maybe this creature died on its back moving it's head foward looking down his rib cage. Great environment!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Vig wrote: »
    Heh, its a brush called Moss02 in a set of brushes I've collected, tweaked and made.

Do a tutorial making another scene like what you just did. :thumbup:
  • psychoticprankster
    This is very creative. Fresh and Inspiring. lovely work! :) Keep up the good work and keep it coming!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Do a tutorial making another scene like what you just did. :thumbup:
    Yea... cus its rocket science =P

- Select Moss02 as your brush
    - Set Foreground color to some kind of light green
    - Create a new layer, set it to multiply
    - Grip Wacom pen with ass cheeks
    - Scribble on tablet until something neat appears

Optional 1: Give it some highlights
    - Copy the layer
    - Blur it a tiny bit, set the layer to overlay, screen or soft light.
    - Create a mask for the layer and paint out some areas.

Optional 2: give it SOME shadows (this works better on flat textures then it does on paint overs)
    - Add a VERY SUBTLE drop shadow to one of the layers.
    - Create a mask for the layer and paint out what doesn't make sense.

As for the scene, its looking ace! I love the bumpy, webby, wet looking stuff its pretty awesome =)
  • Ali Rahimi Shahmirzadi