Home Technical Talk

Regular and Professional Graphic card

Hello People,

I did research online but I couldn't find too much info about my question. My question is what is the difference between regular game graphic card (ex. 9800GT) and professional one (Quadro) for "RENDERING models/scenes?" Is it faster or something else?

Thank you very much.

Replies

• Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    by rendering if you mean like mentalray or something its your cpu that does the work. real time view would be gpu
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    My understanding, is that the workstation card (Quadro) is supposed to be far more stable and optimized towards stability. The gaming card is better at pushing huge amounts of data real time, sometimes at the cost of stability.

Judging by a few "modding articles" i read some time ago you could make easily turn your gaming card into a workstation card by very easy modification. This leads me to believe that these cards are essentially the same hardware, but with different configurations. Oh yeah, and they want a hell of a lot more money for the workstation cards.

This is just my thoughts regarding this, based on several vague facts. :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always thought that workstation cards could push more polys on screen in the user views in a 3d package so you could work on a higher poly model with less slowdown.

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe thats too much of a generalisation lol.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    carlo_c wrote: »
    I always thought that workstation cards could push more polys on screen in the user views in a 3d package so you could work on a higher poly model with less slowdown.

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe thats too much of a generalisation lol.

I'd like to know this as well.

I mean I know for a fact that Game cards have better realtime performance than a Workstation card when playing games. So with this in mind, what differs a 3D packages Viewport (realtime) to make your belief true? Maybe driver optimization towards specific applications?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've always used consumer level cards, but a friend is giving me a Quadro CX sometime in the next week or so. I'll let you know what I find out!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    my last work machine had a quadro something or other... I didn't find it any better than this one that has a 8600gt, but then again, I'm not exactly doing high end anything at my job.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Workstation cards were originally designed for architects and industrial design types to push lots of polygons in viewport, with less regards to textures. Most are optimized for Open GL, which is good for this stuff. The problem is that games are almost exclusively based around Direct X technology, which is better for supporting shaders that display diffuse, spec, normal maps etc. "Professional" Open GL cards often can't do this well, even though they'll let you fly around a Max scene with 10 million polys (but only simple or no textures) using Open GL.

Workstation/Professional Cards aret optimized for certain professional packages such as Photoshop, Video Editing Apps, CAD programs, and Open GL support for 3d packages. Most technically support Direct X. But they are not optimized for gaming, and consequently are usually not optimized for creating game art.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Ah cool, some insight. Makes sense. Thanks.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    No prob. To OP, rendering images utilizes the processor. Viewport display uses the graphics card.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I have quadros in my work and home machines. I'd recommend against them for a game artist. Sometimes the planets will align correctly, and your software/driver/hardware combo will luck out, and you'll get blazing fast high poly scenes in various software. But generally I find them not near as stable as their consumer versions. I also find the driver support for them is just bad. Stick to a high end gamer card.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always used gaming video cards. Currently I'm using an nVidia GTX 260.

I can tell you one thing... there is a price difference. :)
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    For the most part, it's a load of bs.
    YES, there's some bits of hardware that you're missing out on with just a gaming card... but for the most part, it's all about the software.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i work under 2 workstations with quadro cards (quadro fx 3500 and fx 5500), and you can the see difference only with programs like 3dsmax. With a quadro fx i can handle 20+ millions of polygons without problems (the limit is practically in the ram, the more you have the better). A model exported from Zbrush with its highest level, in 3ds max, with maxtreme is piece of cake, super smooth, perfect.

I recently bought a gtx 260 216 and i'm disappointed with its perfomance in 3dsmax. The difference working with quadro or Gforce is huge, and depends of the program. With modo, as example, you can work as fast as with a top quadro card with a 8400GS. Tested!

In europe, prices for quadro cards are very affordable, you can find a quadro 1700 for less than 400 euro, and a better quadro like the 3700 (=nvidia series 8xxx) for less than 700 euro. If you are going to work with programs such as Max, and not to play, for the same price as a gtx280 you can have an entry level quadro, enough good to work well.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Great thread! I'm interested in hearing more on the subject. I've always wondered what kind of difference you'd actually see performance wise between a low end quadro and a high end quadro. Has anyone seen any benchmarks on the subject?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I agree that profesionnal openGL cards would have alot of pain with heavy realtime engines like Pico for Maya, Crysis, UT3 and such. I remember testing Brice's shader with a superexpensive FireGL and it was quite unstable. Mudbox1 was way faster than usual tho, but I'd rather take a slightly slower sculpting package but solid shaders, over a uberfast sculpting response coupled with an unstable shader pipeline.

Also I believe than Max+Quadro must be faster than Maya+FireGL. (since Max is faster than Maya, and Nvidia generally more reliable than ATI for realtime). But this is just a guess.

Ryno is right. The "Pro" part of the name might not be relevant at all to professional game artists.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    pior wrote: »
    Ryno is right. The "Pro" part of the name might not be relevant at all to professional game artists.

yeah it seems to me a game artist might be better with a pro gaming graphics card, I guess it makes sense when you look at it that way.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a Quadro card in my old work system. It was pretty decent for modeling in 3ds but playing games or previewing animations in the viewport forget it! We have an ancient engine that runs on 2 rocks and a paperclip and it had trouble at times...

We do a lot of rendering here and for the most part we get it done on our own systems. I think that's the reason they went with quadro cards, but I'm not sure. As we've been upgrading we've been putting gaming cards in the systems the quadro cards just couldn't play games or keep up with viewport speeds which was pretty important to our animation team and the quadro's just couldn't keep up. We've saved a bunch of time when we switched over, by being able to play the animations in the viewport instead of running out previews. We went from 2-5fps to 15-24fps (keep in mind we have morphs & skin morphs running, and pretty heavy scenes)

Not to mention that the quadro cards are almost 2-4x more expensive...

Autodesk released some custom quadro drivers and sped things up in the viewport 5-7fps but it didn't help with running games obviously so it was a no brainer for us. Cheaper and more functionality, sold.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    My limited experience of a quadro card was that yes, it can chuck more raw polys around, but as soon as you introduce textures it becomes far worse than a gaming card. When you consider the price difference as well, you could have a high-end gaming card for the same price as a mid to low end quadro.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I had a lower end quadro card-- it was a complete piece of garbage. If it does anything well, I'm not sure what it is.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    CheeseOnToast pretty much summed it up. I think if you are pretty much a pure modeler who just does a little bit of texture work, but do a lot of high poly modeling, the "pro" cards might work great.

But if your duties are to dial in shaders, test stuff in engine, or do any type of large scale environmental/level work where you need to see lots of textures in viewport, a higher end gaming card is the only thing that will work for you.

Incidentally, in one of my first 3d jobs in the late 90's, my boss bot a hot as shit professional Wildcat 3d card for around $4000. He was pissed as hell when he found out that it couldn't even play Half-Life.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Very soon with the advancements of CUDA I think we're going to start seeing the GPU cores being borrowed for rendering. I thought I read somewhere that nvidia dropped gelato in favor of working with mental ray or something...interesting stuff I think is going to happen soon...

I have a 9800GTX myself. It does everything I need and I can import meshes with millions of polys from zbrush into max with no problem...(although that might have more to do with x64 & 8GB ram I've got)

But since upgrading from a 7800 I get no red wire errors anymore on high res meshes in viewport.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    nvidia bought mental images, to be precise ;)
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    But since upgrading from a 7800 I get no red wire errors anymore on high res meshes in viewport.

I've seen that! what does the red wire error mean?/what causes it?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I have alwayas wondered about this. Great thread!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Archanex wrote: »
    I've seen that! what does the red wire error mean?/what causes it?

Even when viewing in smooth + highlight mode, a mesh will turn to a red wireframe and crash soon after if the video card and ram amount is not capable.

I will often times put a camera zoomed in on a piece of mesh so the scene isn't loading the entire thing at one shot upon file bootup. Then switch to perspective from that camera and crawl (pan) things slowly into view.

Having a nice video card, x64 version installed, and lots of ram won't make this such a problem but if you can't afford this kind of upgrade, the above camera trick will get things into view slowly. You really don't need everything in full view to render your normal maps and AO anyway. Just thought I'd mention the workaround I used to deal with.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    So. I'm currently running my new Quadro CX and I've yet to see anything it can't handle @ 1920x1200 w/ everything turned up to max. All my 3D Apps work flawlessly at this point. I'm installing the Crysis and Fear 2 demos now to see how it fares with new hardcore stuff. (Fallout 3 was consistanly over 100fps)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    got a quadro at work at the mo and i would have to agree with the others, it really depends on the size of the scene your making, if they are huge and you need to see mills of polys on screen then yeah they are great, but, want a small scene with fancy shaders and its not so good, not rubbish in my experience but not worth the dough.

basically if its for home use then the 3d you should be doing will never really justify or be advanced by one of these cards
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    I was talking with an artist at work about this as he was trying to decide what card to get and after I did some reading I found out this.

1: Workstation cards have open ended code that will allow you to change the way the card will handle information. Along with a programmer you can get the card to do just about anything that you want it to. So if you don't know how to / don't want to program for the card you are not going to be able to squeeze out as much performance as you could.

2: As someone in here already said the workstation cards work really really good in open GL but not so great in Direct X. AFAIK this is because these cards are target towards Architecture or Engineering firms that need to make models that are as close to real as possible. I have heard that sometimes the models they make have to be accurate with in MM of the real thing. So to get this accuracy they are going to need to be able to pump a lot of triangles to the screen.

3: Generally the workstation cards are exactly the same hardware wise as their gaming counter parts however its a lot harder to make your gaming card do what you want it to do code wise as it does not come with open ended architecture like the workstation cards.

4: The updates for workstation cards are almost no existent unlike their gaming card counterparts which have new drivers every other month or so. This makes it a head ache when something does not work as you either have to wait for new drives to come out or get under the hood and mod your workstation card and the software to work with one another.

These cards are great cards and will get the job done but again you have to look at what you want to card to do for you. If you want millions of triangles on the screen at once or need extreme precision then this is the card for you.

If you want to be able to see shaders and do really complex shader work you will be better off getting a gaming card as it will allow you to push Direct X to its limits. Also with the money that you will save by getting a gaming card you could probably get a second card and SLI / Cross Fire them and have over a gig of video memory or more.