Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

i'm selling basil

3DGURU
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
hello everybody , after my site launch , just decided to throw some products for sale

http://3dkernel.com/?cat=9

model_ao_lion.jpg

availabe in .blend , .3ds , and .obj & also c4d format ..

high animatability with additional faces to prevent distortion , low cost , free test texture .

contact me for the payment methods .

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    is that your face on the "test texture"?
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think that price is very realistic....
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    perhaps not the best target group here- I doubt that anyone here would buy that for various reasons
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ~~~~~ I don't think that price is very realistic....
    do you mean that it's high ?
    ~~~~~ I doubt that anyone here would buy that for various reasons
    can you explain please , ...

thanks guys ...
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sometimes people here, they manage to pull off their very own character sculptures.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ~~~~~~sometimes people here, they manage to pull off their very own character sculptures.
    yes , this geometry is me and the face tex is me :) , , it was made a year a go , lol ...

it would not be a problem if anyone states his mind and says that it is not good enough , i will make a new one ...

PS :- i have seen a lot of characters with quality less than this in turbosquid with 40 $ and more .

so i think i will manage to create a better one if the circumstances required ...

please guide me & tell me what to do to have a character that would sell

animatability , edge flow , loops , texture ...
    good pimping , good price , ...

thanks .
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I doubt that anyone here would buy that for various reasons
    1.) this is not a market place
    2.) people here are creatives themselves one would never come up with the idea of buying a model from someone else. Instead often meshes and techniques are shared because everyone can improve
    3.) people that buy 3d content often buy it because they cant do it themselves. Most artists I know dont trust commercial 3d models thats for what you hire a 3d artist to make it for you the way you need it.
    4.) the is model somewhat below average - it looks rather like a learnig mesh - there are some bad flows in the mesh and the texture work just bad.

either way you will not have success here- maybe though get some critiques thats more worth as the 15$
    PS :- i have seen a lot of characters with quality less than this in turbosquid with 40 $ and more .
    to bad they dont display how many people bought it- I dont know for sure myself but I imagine that turbosquid sells only ok on the quality content not the average or trash part.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [[[
    people that buy 3d content often buy it because they cant do it themselves
    ]]]

i don't agree here , most the time it's because they don't have time to create one .

another thing , i was not trying to sell it to the community members , just put it on my site as a product , i just wanted to have building criticism and know the best price and attributes ...

thanks , but still need some guidance .
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    my suggestion would be to find a stock site that sells 3d models,- perhaps something other than turbosquid. Maybe also create some series so that buying models becomes more attractive.
    I often saw that smal series sold best,- maybe leave out some customization like a skinning friendly UV and photoshop template - or switchable elements (clothes, helmets,...)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU wrote: »
    yes , this geometry is me and the face tex is me

you dont literally have to sell yourself to get money. People just say that as an expression of feeling.

Ive seen you post a few times about selling this type of mesh before. Have you looked into the Second Life editor? push and pull that single mesh-sphere to victory and riches beyond your wildest dreams..... 16, maybe even 19.99! Just remember the more slut you can put into it, the better. Perhaps you can start your own Richard D James inspired army of you! Come to Daddy!
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i dont imagine there would be much of a market for low poly characters....?
    turbosquid is more suited for TVC/print/arcvis/random media type projects with tight deadlines and small budgets. a studio or individual has to come up with some shit and they have no money or time to make all of it themselves.
    if you want to sell your stuff on turbosquid and the like, your best bet is to make common and generic objects of photo-real quality to reach the largest market. the more stylised you go the smaller the market.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    TBH, I would never buy models from those sites, they almost always have to be changed/tweaked before they suit what you need them for, and inthe time you have done that, you could of made your own...

In regards to the model... Well $14.99 is far too high. $4.99 is far to high. In fact, 50p is far too high. The standard on this model is nowhere near the level of quality people expect when they buy things. As somebody said previously, I've also seen far better models sell for far less... But even those wont sell because they... Well they just arn't very good.

If you want to progress in this area to have fun, post more and look for some feedback. You have the fist step done. But if you just want to make a quck buck may I suggest stripping, or possible selling your own shoes. Because at this level, you wont make much, if any money.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not sure if you are already, but you should consider advertising this on indie game engine forums. That is probably your easiest audience for this type of model, since most of those people are programmers and can't really make their own art. Plus a low polygon model such as this would make sense for a use in a indie game engine.

Posting this here is probably not going to get you much positive feedback, if any at all. If you want to get honest feedback on your model here, try posting it without the intent of selling it to the members here. Since most of the members here could probably make their own higher quality characters.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    don't take these comments in a bad way, but take them to heart. before you plan to sell your work, take the time and put in the hard work to get really good. put in a few years of real effort and really really listening to crits, and you should be good to go.. and when you get to that level make the cash.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i will try to enter another field , at least for now ...

i will make free video tutorials and some bucks by ads ..

video tutorials on blender game engine & Python , Graphics isn't my job , i'm studying Mechatronics engineering and CG is only a hobby , ...

but look as example at my manga head , i think something like this can sell btw ...

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142055

thanks , still need guidance .
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think that Manga head will sell at all, its not very good to be frank...

Stop selling us shit. You've been told once.

EDIT: Also, who is going to VIEW those tutorials when you obviously could do with looking at a few yourself...? Maybe "selling" or "teaching" isn't the field you should be looking into at this time. Take it slowly, no need to jump right in at the deep end.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    work on your art first dude you got the basics down, trying to get into art to make money is the wrong way to look at things :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Since you don't seem to be getting the point:
    The issue is that frankly you aren't producing very good work, man.

Show us that you can produce vaguely professional level work and people might consider paying for it. People tend to pay for things that have value.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Eh, if I had the brains to be studying anything close to maths related I wouldn't be spending days and nights in front of a computer doing horrible 3d stuff. I'm not saying your stuff is horrible though, I'm just refering to mine.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a specific crit: UVWs on the "basil" character have a lot of wasted space. Too many polies for skin gen. The body texture just looks like nonsense and noise. Not sure what i'm looking at.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    3DGuru. Stick with it. You have a ways to go, but bless your heart for having an entrepreneurial spirit. I am already impressed by your attitude. You are taking the harsh Crits pretty well.
    Keep at it and keep making models. :)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i am curious about this whole selling 3d assets thing so i checked the website to see what library you use for your webstore but i couldn't find a "BUY NOW" button or "add to cart" anywhere ... like how WOULD i buy this if i wanted to ?!
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium : why would you get nervous that fast ? , i need some guidance , i have the right to gather info , allright , the link i presented contained a member that said it would be ok with him to buy it with ten bucks can't he be an example of many ? , now here you are all PROs i know that , ....
    i believe that i can make distinguished "Blender Game Engine" Tutorials , ... but may be not modeling and texturing tutorials .

ae. :
    allright :) .

supRore :
    what is the creteria for a good peace that can be "Sold!!" ?

t4pan :
    engineering , programming , graphics , .... they are all cool and attracting !!!

dolemite :
    now that's what i would call a crit that make sense , thanks , you are right .

josh_singh :
    oh , thanks ...

warby :
    there were a product page there but removed it , it would be better to have a high quality work instead of this ...

thanks guys .
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm sure you've heard the saying learn to walk before you run, but hell man, no offense, but you are a fetus trying to complete a triathalon here.

you have any idea how much traffic you would need to start making cash by ads? think of this, the more people that visit, the more your site will cost with bandwidth, so first you have to get out of the loop to where you are getting more hits than it costs to run the site.

and to be blunt, at this point you trying to make cash off of tutorials would be socialy iresponsible. the last thing a beginer needs is another beginer as an instructor.

here is the best plan for you at the momment.

get a job at a fast food place or something for cash, and work your ass off to get better at art, when you get better at art.. get a job making art.

and i love how the poll you posted had 3 options
    2 are "yes i would buy"
    and 1 is "i don't like manga"

you didnt even put a option for them to say they like manga but don't like the head.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi :) , here goes 3 abstracts created long time ago [two Years]
    =
    vr2nd00813msf1.jpg
    =
    vr2nd0072mtz5.jpg
    =
    vr2nd0051mns1.jpg

i hope you like them .
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should start a thread that goes like this:

"I made this art and I need crits so I can make it better. Here's the image. "

You started a thread just to hawk some art at the community. Which is baffling since that's not what this community is for.

Polycount isn't a place to sell art. It's a place to get your ass torn apart for making bad art, so that you can improve. Or argue about what makes art good.

Nobody sells art here.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright i think i have gathered the needed info , ...

thanks everybody for your advices , i think i'm done with the thread point now .

i'm not trying to present some goods for sale , i was looking for the answer of this
    "when do a product sell and why"
    it's over

thanks for your help .
    regards .
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    to be honest, in this field nowadays, your product will sell in one of three instances:

it's something nobody has every concieved, and is therefor coveted.
    you're working for a company that needs your skills to create something specific.
    you can offer completely 100% accurate medical artwork, for cheap, to a medical facility.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supRore :
    what is the creteria for a good peace that can be "Sold!!" ?

Look up some professional work (so a commercial movie or game with the same specifications) and see if your work measures up. If it doesn't, keep learning, you're improving at a steady rate. If it does, sell it, it's obviously on par with professional art.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strictly i dont believe in buying selling 3d Art,sorry if i am hurting some one here, As a professional 3d artist or a freelance artist,you are already selling your talents and that why the employer hire you. I also agree that,some studios due to lack of time in the projects tend to buy the assets.This way the whole pleasure and the purpose of game art is gone internally,its rather a buying and dumping of assets in the game.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    look dude people on here are trying to be nice to you about this, but your kinda embarrassing yourself , suprore (even though overly brutal but still to the point) Made the point that you need alot of work.

first off polycount really isnt a site to "sell 3d models" that's more like turbosquid and such (and even to sell your content on there you have to pass a committee I believe?)

the model has potential but right now your trying to get a quick buck out of something thats at a amateur level right now. If you REALLY believe you can sell these then tell me, how many hits have you gotten to sell this right now?

Anyway Im not trying to rip you apart or anything in that manner but seriously take a step back , reevaluate what professional freelance guys works look like (josh singh is actually a excellent example of a guy who does freelance/contracted work and the quality speaks for itself) And really ask yourself " can I produce work at that level"

And I believe honestly looking at it that way you should find your answer, now dump this thread and get cranking on some art , go get a part time job if your hurting for cash that bad, might I suggest a night time job like a security officer where you have a chance to study until dawn with no real interruptions? (I did that back in college did wonders for me!)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eh, you mean outsourcing? everybody does it. but theres a difference between outsourcing and "buying assets". with outsourcing you can check out a studio overseas and whether or not their ..."art" is any good and talk to them, plus you tell them what to make.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    3DGuru. Stick with it. You have a ways to go, but bless your heart for having an entrepreneurial spirit. I am already impressed by your attitude. You are taking the harsh Crits pretty well.
    Keep at it and keep making models. :)

This is by far the kindest post in here, you should really be thanking Josh. He is giving you the most constructive and most polite way to say, KEEP MAKING ART AND KEEP BEING WHO YOU ARE. I feel that once you reach a level as an artist, make an effort to help those around you, without charging, and have fun doing so. I needed hard crits at one point or another to push me artistically, and make me a better artist. (Thank you Spark/Killing People/Pior/Slaught/Geezus/Josh Singh...I could go forever) Keep posting, and never give up.

Spug
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright , i will start my new W.I.P low poly character soon and post the major steps and shots for theme to be criticized , in order to learn how raise my level dramatically .

thanks guys , sorry for any disturbation , and also , thanks josh .
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    3d Guru is a funny name for someone just getting started. But I agree with all the crits being said here. Although some are sort of hard crits, they are indeed true. Certainly, you are not capable of making a living off your 3d art yet, but if you work on it, its certainly possible.
    As someone already mentioned, the problem with turbo squid and the like are they don't say how many times something sold. I would guess that many models on there don't ever sell, and for that reason, you can't gauge your own prices on what you see there.
    I would like to see you start a proper WIP here and see you grow as an artist. Don't quite just yet!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright , i will start my new W.I.P low poly character soon and post the major steps and shots for theme to be criticized , in order to learn how raise my level dramatically .

Go for it, after this you'll probably get a ton of attention. :)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Sir, I've seen you post the maybe one or two models you have made all over the internet on every forum, and advise that you create hundreds more - work on studying efficiency and speed, while learning to do things correctly - instead of making one thing every couple months, making it appear perfect to your eyes (which are not yet trained to spot the various shortcomings), create many models, you do not even have to post them anywhere, but just plow through them, and make each one better than the last.

Quantity of study over finished, 'selling' quality is much more important in the beginning and will allow you to improve much faster. If you start a model that you like the look of and want to push it to the finish, try creating a thread, try looking at the dozens of WIP threads going on on all the forums you post your stuff trying to sell stuff at; there is always much to learn, even for so-called art gurus, and the willingness to open themselves up to teaching and introspective observation is often precisely what has gotten them to the level they are at today. Always strive to do better than your last work! (Which you have been doing, so keep it up!)