Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spider Mine

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
Hi dudes... haven't been posting in like a month. Made this spider mine. I know there are some pieces missing from the high poly (like the hinge connecting it to the main unit) but I had to fake a lot of stuff here to get it below 400 tris

here we goes

SpiderMineCompSheet01.jpg

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    jesus dude you are a monster, how many threads you got going? bad ass!

I like the mine :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    you know this probably, but you're not getting any illusion of depth from the cross in the middle due to the 90 angles.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yes, mr. dekard. Sadly i ran out of polygons for this and it was one of the last points I sacrificed. I could pretty easily add in 12 more tris and re-normal those. After i get my grade on this I'll probablly do just that

thanks sirs :P
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Adam if you make your HP not have 90 degree angles you can get that detail in the normal without having to add any extra detail.

Example: On those little squares on the tops of the 6 spiked out if instead of just extruding down with a 90 degree angel you should bring them in a little, they would appear in your normal map then.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man looking nice, but you got some really heavy seams on the lower roundpart of your mesh Oo
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah good point... lol looks like i neglected that part... i'm pretty sure that's from the normal map... i transfered it in sections so i need to go backin in and blur that out.. thanks hal
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blur your normal? oh god noooooooooooooo

looks good, if you want to get more res out of your texture, you could have just used 1 segment instead of 2. because the difference between the two is so minimal you wouldnt even be able to tell. unless you go back and retexture one of them to really make it stand out from the other.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, the idea was that I didn't want to have any noticeable tiling. once i finished the texture, i noticed that, in fact yes, there wasn't really much of a noticeable difference between the sections... and in turn they have given me seam problems...

perhaps blur was the wrong idea... my intention is to paint the seams away on the normal, might use some blur, some cloning, whatever it takes. There's not really much normal information on that section anyway so I'll probably just fade it in to the default blue on the edges and let the overall smoothing group take care of that spot.

But about the segments, I think I will go back in and paint some decals on to the surface of the object, and possibly some more interesting grunge or damage. Thanks Mr. Zero! cheers :P
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model looks good,so as the textures in the mine.Only thing i notice here that,you have that plus shaped mesh on top of the HP mine, which is not transferred well in the low poly.You might add a mesh instead,which improves the look of the LP.I would also prefer a better spec on this one!

Vj
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, Adam looks good, but again the texture is holding the prop back a little.
    The only crit I have that hasn't been mentioned is on the flat octagon surface coming off of these 6 cylinders (right at the camera). The white chipped parts are very unique and make it obvious that it is tiled IMO. One thing you could do to make this less obvious (if it doesn't mess up your normals that is) is rotate the UV's on some of the octagon surfaces or even flip them.
    Keep going, and yes its crazy how you have all these WIP's all the sudden, ha ha. Looks like your taking to heart some of the advice you gave me a while back, lol.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    where are the legs, i want this mine to walk