Home General Discussion

F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
EbolaV keyframe
Hi guys. What do you think about FEAR 2. Have just played the singleplayer demo about 4 times (i love FEAR) and i think its really cool. I cant wait for the release :D. I hope in the releaseversion arent to many mechparts where you sitting in that armoredsuite, because it makes not so much fun like walking as person and shoting the bad guys :)

Replies

• TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played through the PC demo a couple of times myself.

Liked:
    • Runs quite nice on my not-so awesome computer at full res.
    • Combat is fun.
    • Cohesive and pretty visuals.
    • Motion Blur.
    • Amazing Audio.

Disliked:
    • A lot of unsatisfying first person gun and character animations.. IE the linear sliding hand shotgun pump, the bug squashing jump and the limp assault rifle reload.
    • Kinda Lame? looking enemies.
    • Jelly blood lol.
    Might pick this one up, hopefully it will be on steam.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wow i didn't even have to make the thread... If you like the demo make sure you pick it up on the 10th!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Will get.

The first one is one of my fave games ever made!

XD

Did you work on this badboy Godzero? And when are we gonna see NOLF 3?

:D
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    i will pick it up definitely man. its awesome. i think until release i will play the demo 50 more times like i did with fear 1 whaha it was amazing. NOLF 3 would be cool too :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I always loves me a shooter- downloading the demo now. I played through all of fear on on 640x480 because mc PC sucked back them- generally I love anything that comes out of monolith.

Godzero- did you work on condemned 2 by any chance? i was curious if you might be able to do an unofficial post mordem type thing. I caught a distinct vibe several different teams worked on that game, all with radically different visions. am I even slightly on point?

The rabid bear was the SHEEEIT

i love scripted sequences.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nahh i was just on the fear 2 team. There is some of my art in it but i didn't work on it directly.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    WOW DUDE- fear 2 is the freshness.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Going to get the game, not sure if I want to play the demo first. Is this demo like the last one, where it wasn't actually a level from the game, just elemts of the game mashed together?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Loved the first game so much. Two of the stand-out moments for me where around the middle of the game. I was in this pitch-black office 'cube farm'. A phone starts ringing in one of the cubes to my right. I start to enter to investigate. Alma comes hobbling out on all fours. I shit myself. :D

The second was around the same time. I turn around to leave a room, and there is Alma staring me right in the fact through frosted glass. I decide to be a hard ass and run out, convinced she would have dissapeared in a cloud of ash. She didn't. She was walking right in my face. Again I shit myself. :D

Will wait for the reviews on 2 though...the videos don't convince me. Really glad this got released, and got called F.E.A.R in the end as well. :)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    yeah Blender the same happends to me. that with the office have killed me nearly uhm i think it was this week. I heard of the demo and just installed fear 1 hehe so i didnt remind all those shockevents. man that with the office was a killer x.x
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    FFS! When does the "pre-xmas rush" end??!!? I thought I was in the clear for a few months to catch up on pre-Xmas games that I had not played yet, but coming up we still have FEAR 2 ... Afro Samurai ... RE5 ... when does it stop?!?!?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Railgun dude.

First time I shot the dude between the eyes, and he went flying back and stuck to the wall....

jaw.. hit the floor.

BEST gun ever in a videogame.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit man, just finished the demo ... kudos to the folks at Monolith. VERY beautiful game from what I saw. The ability to open car doors to use them as cover is an unexpected surprise and a stroke of subtle genius.

TGZ: which format do you recommend I pick it up on, XB360 or PC? I am inclined to go with PC but thought I would ask just in case there was something special about the console versions.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FFS! When does the "pre-xmas rush" end??!!? I thought I was in the clear for a few months to catch up on pre-Xmas games that I had not played yet, but coming up we still have FEAR 2 ... Afro Samurai ... RE5 ... when does it stop?!?!?

...Killzone 2... :D

It's a great complaint to have, I must say. You could be a Wii owner, with nothing coming out, nothing on the horizon and barely anything interesting in the last 6 months!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Killzone 2... :D

That's yet another one. Thank God I don't own a PS3 so that is one less I have to worry about. It's an expensive time to be a gamer, that's for sure.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark, PC for the best textures crispness(PC depending), but for me its xbox because i love my TV.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I hate FPS and absolutley despised the first FEAR.

this is much better
    It's late at night and like a dummy I turned off all the lights. On top of that I am all alone. Now I am absolutey scared shitless.

turned everything to maximum setting and it peforms and looks gorgeous ( Radeon 4850 )

besides the beautiful effects and the dark lighting I love the dim flashlight. Reminds of my worst childhood nightmares of "almost light" to fight away evil.

The enemies are modeled ok, thought the animations were great and fit in the environment.

Hope there is no backlash against the lighting strategy... it made the game for me.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Just checked out the demo. Plays and looks awesome :)
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Are the weapon animations still as lame as the first one?
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I thought the demo was ace. Ran great on my 8800 too. First FEAR was a total system hog. Judging from the demo the scares and atmosphere are a lot more accomplished this time around.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game ran like butter at max settings on my PC, very nice looking game. Although I was jealous, because alot of their textures, even for posters are higher res than what I get to do at work... But they aren't running really anything as far as AI most of the time.

The game was creepy as hell at some parts. I'm going to play the demo again soon.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, for some reason i wasn't so amped about this game. Funny because i LOVED fear, well the beggining and end of it atleast, the mid section felt a little too "filler".

But the demo rocks pretty hard, and reminds me why i loved the first one, the effects in fear 2 are pretty awesome, and it runs butter smooth with everything cranked to max on my q6600, 8800, etc. When is release? And will it be on steam? I pretty much only buy pc games on steam these days.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really enjoyed the demo aswell. fucking awesome. the post effects are amazing.
    and yea. runs smoth in here aswell. and my processor is inferior to EQ
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    release in germany is 13. feb i think. i cant waaaait :D i will lock my door, kill all lights and FEAR hehe.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I wasn't a big fan of the first FEAR, thought it was boring (enemies, levels, guns, etc, all looked and felt the same with very few exceptions), ran like shit on my PC, the "scares" were predictable, got about halfway through and stopped playing out of boredom.

Played the FEAR2 demo last night on a whim and was really digging it. Actually had a genuine freakout, thought the "atmosphere-building" environment jumps/hallucinations were pretty cool, I think I saw more weapons in the demo than I did in the first 6 chapters of FEAR, and overall dug it a lot more. I'm eager to find out more about multiplayer :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'm glad they were able to keep the name.

I played the demo on 360 (during daytime). I enjoyed it.

The first game did nothing for me. I think I played the demo once and decided against it.

Fear2 demo is great. The effects are top notch, very cinematic. I was actually a little freaked at some parts in the school. And games don't scare me. Nothing was predictable. It appears the team really hit their mark with this release. Nothing was too cheesy or amateur. A good action thriller. I will play the demo again at night.

As I was playing, my girlfriend watched and commented with "Creepy".
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Demo was awesome. I did some small props for this through LD...was going to pick it up for that purpose, but after playing the demo it looks like it'll be really fun :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Satisfying indeed.
    Still, I hope for another shogo or blood.
    Someday, maybe...
    someday.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    tried the demo today. It seemed ok, I liked the 1st one and this felt similar but i dunno if thats good or bad yet. Also, I liked the guns better in the 1st, they looked cooler. the gun animations were also kinda limp, especially the smg shooting, it kinda just sits in place just pushed back a bit.

graphically it looks pretty tight, nice surface materials and texture work. I didnt find it too scary but the action parts were tight, still love the slo mo stuff. Ill probably give this one a rent as i have a tenancy to not finish games but im sure i'll enjoy the ride. nice work to everyone who contributed.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Satisfying indeed.
    Still, I hope for another shogo or blood.
    Someday, maybe...
    someday.
    Well FEAR2 has mecha. That's the first big step towards a Shogo:MAD sequel. I'm wishing for another game in the No One Lives Forever franchise, myself.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gavin, send me a pm of what you did, I'm curious as to what it was.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Right, so played the demo. This game almost rivals Doom 3 on the "can't see shit, captain" level. That flashlight is weaksauce.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    jox wrote: »
    Railgun dude.

First time I shot the dude between the eyes, and he went flying back and stuck to the wall....

jaw.. hit the floor.

BEST gun ever in a videogame.

Word! It`s called the Penetrator for a reason lol.

Looking forward to this one, the firefights in Fear1 were really awesome and intense (shooting&dodging bullets in slomo surronded by a dozen enemies felt like watching Preston in Equilibrium :))
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm wondering if the person at Kotaku, or the mindless peons who comment on Kotaku, realize that this is part of Fear2's viral marketing site.

http://kotaku.com/5138592/fear-2-trailer-employs-beaten+to+death-joke-bewbs

The infomercial is really really lame. Almost lame enough to persuade you not to buy this game, and it has for some it seems, but just follow along.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The demo was fun, reminded me a lot of Contra, actually, crazy over the top soldiers and robots, a badly destroyed city, super saturated colors against grey rubble. It felt insanely linear, in most environments I get it, tight claustrophobic hallways in a school, hospital, office building etc, just make sense, but outside on the streets feels cramped in a wrong way, the original FEAR's outdoor areas feel much more open and less like you're being forced down a narrow street.

The set pieces were fun, [spoilers] avoiding a bus falling on me, seeing a plane on fire roar overhead, big scares from Alma, a guy getting....raped into giblets by tentacles.. ;). [/spoiler]

It feels like FEAR on steroids, the demo didn't really have that feeling of desolation as much as the first did. The atmosphere doesn't feel the same as the first, just different. Anyways, I'm gonna give it a second run through, I was a bit drunk the first time soooo maybe I'll feel different with a sober playthrough.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really enjoyed this demo, thought the graphics were great and as previously mentioned the post processing was awesome.

Loved FEAR when it came out so definately picking this up I think :)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Haha, am I crazy or did the water droplets just get thrown off the visor when I rapidly shook the mouse? Edit: Aww, it was just coincidental timing. :( Demo's pretty cool. Looks good, feels a bit console-y but good.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That video not only insulted my intellegence but my entire gender. And the other gender too, I think. o_0
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Right, so played the demo. This game almost rivals Doom 3 on the "can't see shit, captain" level. That flashlight is weaksauce.

I feel the same about Fallout 3. Is there even a flashlight in that game?
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed the demo on xb360. I was very impressed when I got out into the street with the lighting and hues that were used. level design wise it was very linear, so I hope the full version allows for some alternate paths to be taken to where ever.

The first scene with the hot ashes floating was sooo nice. If I was employed it would be a worthy purchase :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    finally played this...
    hot damn I'm sold. Fuckin A! and one of the best mech walker experiences in a videogame.. damn those missiles are sweet, streams of lead death.. feels like you're the tank from ghost in the shell, and all the soldiers are trying to hide behind stuff you just blast to smithereens..
    SOLD