Home Technical Talk

UV3 Map?

Hopefully not a dumb question but I can not seem to find a deffinition to this term. Maybe it's a term a specific studio uses, etc that I use a totally different name for. Can anyone elaborate what exactly this is and what it entails?

My first thought was using uvw channel 3 to map a specific model for a baked texture yadda yadda...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    my first thought was that it kinda referred to
    U - V - W
    that would explain the 3 as it would refer to the 3 dimensions beeing UVW.
    or its like you said and it refers to channel #3, so it would be uv1,uv2,uv3,...

maybe tell us where you spotted that word
  • Azreality
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something about saving out a UV3 Map for "lighting" information. As in using a lighting map or AO map... it is in reference to a low poly real time game art so I assume something to do with that. Shoot now I sound all dumb and confused, I'll see if I can't find the exact quote and re post here.

Ok here is the source quote: create UV3 mapping to be used for storing lighting data. UV3 mapping should be contained in the (0,1) space and use as much of the available space as possible.

Hope that helps....
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's like Maya's UV Sets. Same polygons represented, but in another UV layout that is optimized for storing lighting information for this specific purpose.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep its for light/shadow maps. If all of your UV's have their own unique space you can use the same UV layout for your shadow map. If not you'll need to use another UV channel.

The shadow maps are a separate texture that gets called and overlaid onto your model, its normally a Mental Ray Ambient Occlusion pass that gets saved out at a smaller size then your diffuse texture. Because of this you normally want a lot of padding around each piece.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Umm, is this the Turn10 art test? The wording is almost exactly the same :P
  • Azreality
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Vig nailed it for me... that is what I was thinking but wanted confirmation.
    Vassago, yes haha it is the turn 10 test which I did a while ago and I guess wanted to make sure I had it done correctly since I had never heard that term used before. Why not just say AO mental ray light/shadow map is what got me.... ;)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, that's because it's UV channel 3 :P

By default, you're using channel 1 for diffuse. Different channels are used for different things in different engines, so you need to be specific about what channel those new UVs are in. :)