Home Technical Talk

Wrapit for 3dsmax by Matt Clark

robioto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
robioto polycounter lvl 18
This looks like it might be interesting, did a search and didn't see it mentioned anywhere...

The following is a cut/paste of the opening paragraph on the CG Talk thread Matt Clark started (link to thread at the bottom of the page).

New Re-topology tool: Wrapit
Hello all, I'd thought I'd take this opportunity to demonstrate a new tool I've been developing for 3dsmax 2008 and above.

Wrapit is essentially a tool for conforming meshes to other meshes. This lends itself to various scenarios such as retopoligising high-res meshes like those created in Zbrush, mudbox etc and creating low poly proxies for situations where those are preferable, like collision detection etc.

Obviously there are other solutions for retopoligising, although I've never really enjoyed that process in Zbrush, and learning new tools can be a chore. I love Polyboost, but my aim in developing Wrapit was to keep it as simple as possible: What if you could use the existing set of 3ds Max's editable polygon tools but over the surface of another object?

Well, Wrapit allows you to do just that, using all the editable poly tools you're familiar with, in any sub object mode, edge loops, edge rings, connect, bridge, chamfer, relax, soft selection, target welds, cut tool etc. When Wrapit's 'Autowrap' mode is active anything you do with your editable poly model is conformed to the surface of your target.

I find myself shift dragging edges mostly which is extremely effective at fleshing out large parts of mesh at once. Using the relax tool to relax a mesh over the surface of another has proved to be a bit of a 'wow' moment for those testing.

It's fast too, wrapping to a mesh in the millions of polygons region doesn't have too big a hit.

Anyway, enough talk, here are some examples of a slightly old beta in action.

http://www.matt-clark.co.uk/spe.php?o=163

I should point out these aren't in any way indications of good retopology, I was just playing really, but hopefully they are an indication of speed and ease of blocking out shapes.

Wrapit is currently in beta, with a release date to be announced. Join the discussion

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=723711

Replies