Home General Discussion

Anyone own Gears of War PC?

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Got GoW PC?
Tried playing it over the last couple of days?

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/01/drm-now-renders.html

How come nobody can get DRM right? :(

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    MoP wrote: »
    How come nobody can get DRM right? :(
    A contradiction in and by itself. You can't get DRM right.

EDIT: Oh, and it's also a trick question.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    im sure I would be gutted if I played it longer than a week, but the live implementation kept crashing the game (and the gameplay was.. samey)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about buying it...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I've got it, but as Rooster pointed at, the implementation of windows live at the time (I've heard it's improved a lot) rendered the game unplayable for many at the time anyway, forcing people to crack it back then. And that was just to play single player.

But reading that is quite shocking, who came up with that one? I've also read in a few places that allegedly Cliffy B, when asked if gears 2 was coming to the PC, said it wasn't as the people who had computers that could run it knew how to torrent it.

And apparently the DRM for Spore only allows 3 intalls total (not at the same time, but ever), which was then bumped up to 5 after much complaining. Greatly missing the point of the complaints.

Honestly got to wonder how much pirating such extreme DRM stops, as the only people it seems to affect are the people who actually pay for the game.

emo-panda.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Meh, I would be worried had I been able to play the game anyway. I bought the game while studying in the UK and could barely play there since I could only find like 3-4 servers at a time. Now that I'm back in Greece, I can't find a server to play with less than 200 ping.. so fuck their DRM and fuck their shitty game browser and most of all fuck Games for Windaz.

This game could have sold, if it wasn't unplayable and bug-ridden thanks to Games for windows when it launched.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Unreal 3 constantly crashes my machine. Gears PC is unplayable. And I'm hearing many people say Gears 2 is causing their 360 to die.

Take a memo.

Dear Epic,

Please make your games playable on the machines of those who cannot afford gold plated Bugattis.
    As Ars points out, the irony here is that those gamers who downloaded pirated copies of the game instead of purchasing it remain unaffected by the DRM.

There is a lessen to be learned here, I guess.

clap.gif
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i drive a ford taurus.....
    and I just make the rigs
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i bet it was the DRM on the rigs that broke
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    heh. most likely. sorry guys :(
  • lio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lio polycounter lvl 18
    when will they learn?
    the only thing obtrusive drm mechanisms do is keep people from buying the games...
    i skipped a couple of recent games for that reason (most recently gta 4 for the pc) and so did quite a few friends and work mates... it's really ironic that warez versions come without all the hassle that you get as a legit customer... i remember pre-ordering doom3 and then it had popped up on some torrent sites a good deal earlier than my copy shipped and i was tempted... that version played just fine without any annoyances but when my legit copy arrived it wouldn't even install unless i uninstalled some other applications before... wtf... and that's pretty mild compared to today's drm mechanisms with limited install counts, online activations and running background tasks that are installed without the users consent.

i really wish publishers would save the money they usually spend on copy protection and as a result lower the price of games... that would allow legit buyers to get more games and possibly get some others to buy games as well that are usually put off by the price tag... those that want to download will do so no matter what anyways... but stop punishing legit buyers...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    really? i chose not to buy GTA4 when i heard you can't mod it like you could with the last couple.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    It's all Jeremy's fault... but he's sorry OK? :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Cant play my Gears copy. Then again every time I tried to load Act 5 it would just crash so I'm not really surprised by this what with all the other PC port problems. Terrible port job on a great game is such a shame : /
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    not DRM, anti-cheat messup with the binary's digital signature, still sucks, but the work around is to just set your clock back

http://pc.ign.com/articles/949/949988p1.html
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, it's the pirates that keep pc games from selling, not the drm that punishes folks who buy the game. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to have to disconnect their second optical drive to play a game? And it's soooo much fun to not know about limited installs, and get bit in the ass by your game telling you it can't install. And having to install apps that you're not gonna "use" just to run the game.

Seriously all this drm madness is getting out of hand. I love EPIC games, I love the style, the gameplay, all of it. But they are shooting themselves in the foot, saying that the people who are smart enough to upgrade a graphics card, are smart enough to torrent the game. How about the guys that have enough money to upgrade their graphics cards have the money to BUY the freakin game? And does Cliff seriously think there's no piracy on the 360? Piracy happens on all platforms, that's just the way it is, and the sooner the people who approve this drm crap figure out that fact, the sooner more people will be willing to shell out their hard earned money to buy the games they love. Who wants to slap down $70 and change to be treated like you stole the game?
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the pirates that keep pc games from selling, not the drm that punishes folks who buy the game. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to have to disconnect their second optical drive to play a game? And it's soooo much fun to not know about limited installs, and get bit in the ass by your game telling you it can't install. And having to install apps that you're not gonna "use" just to run the game.

Seriously all this drm madness is getting out of hand. I love EPIC games, I love the style, the gameplay, all of it. But they are shooting themselves in the foot, saying that the people who are smart enough to upgrade a graphics card, are smart enough to torrent the game. How about the guys that have enough money to upgrade their graphics cards have the money to BUY the freakin game? And does Cliff seriously think there's no piracy on the 360? Piracy happens on all platforms, that's just the way it is, and the sooner the people who approve this drm crap figure out that fact, the sooner more people will be willing to shell out their hard earned money to buy the games they love. Who wants to slap down $70 and change to be treated like you stole the game?

I really hope GoW2 comes out for PC... for modding sake.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    God, me too, Talbot. I was able to play Gears 2 at my nephews, and the game is killer. I loved every second of the split screen co-op, and would LOVE to have the game on my pc. For modding, and just to play the thing.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Talbot wrote: »
    I really hope GoW2 comes out for PC... for modding sake.

you can dream big! I think there was an interview where they said that the piracy ratio compared to games sold for gears on PC was extremely high. So a PC version of gow2 would be unlikely. Then again, Epic said no gears1 for pc and it came out :)

I'd buy it on PC also, just to play with the new editor tools!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's kindof funny to hear that the workaround is to set the OS clock back!! It's like some kind of 1989 floppy game protection!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    you can dream big! I think there was an interview where they said that the piracy ratio compared to games sold for gears on PC was extremely high. So a PC version of gow2 would be unlikely. Then again, Epic said no gears1 for pc and it came out :)

Yeah I read that interview a while back... I was bummed until I remembered that they said almost the exact same thing for gears 1. Epic seemed like the company that would never let the pc gamers down... but judging by the price of UT3... I wouldn't blame them if they didn't release gears 2 for pc. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)
  • kraphik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes there´s EPIC failure with DRM protection.
    I am not sure if there´s problem with UT 3 with
    same.