Home General Discussion

Final Fantasy 13: New Trailer

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
I've watched it 4 times now....I think Square's winning me back.

Wait a few minutes, there IS gameplay, and it's really nice.

http://na.square-enix.com/ff13/

Replies

• coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Too Japanese for me.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I hate myself for liking final fantasy and this is no different
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'll be buying some new pants tomorrow then...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks awesome DO WANT
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i wish i could still play a turn based game and enjoy it...
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they're getting away (or at least trying to) from the turn based style gameplay. They started in FF12, and from that short snippet, the gameplay looked on-the-fly input based, sort of like Kingdom Hearts and to a lesser degree, Star Ocean. This would make some sense since the team for the FF13 games are the same ones from the KH series.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    freaking sweet. I need another jrpg to go on to after lost odyssey
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The cinematics looks great! But then again, every FF cinematic do.
    About the gameplay - I'd love to see unedited footage. I cannot really believe this will be non-turned based. The little mickeymouse pointer kindof gives it away right?

It would be fantastic if the gameplay really was based on input. Like, god of war reaction style with hitboxes and all, but with FF depth... I guess I'm dreaming!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think ff13 is turn based... well.. active turn based or whatever its called (ff9 style). I heard ff13 - versus (why 2 games, i have no f-in clue!) that battle system is more like Crisis Core, realtime... supposedly.

Anyways, it looks cool... but has anyone gotten a vibe as of late (from both ff12 and this one) that this is really feeding off of the star wars type vibe? I know there are probably other movies / books etc. that ff is taking inspiration from... but meh, I'm waiting to see a Millennium Falcon or whatever that shizat is called.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    posted twice... Sorry
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah pior, the cinematics never let us down. I didn't notice the mouse pointer, but that might just be a target select type thing. Which kind of kills the whole "input based" a bit, but I could understand why, most FF players would get frustrated if they were trying to swing at an enemy, but missed because they weren't "locked on". Unedited footage FTW (probably have to wait until end of 09 for such goodness)

Jason: yea, i definitely get the Star Wars vibe. When I was watching it, it almost made me feel like I was watching a ramped up FF7, as it seems the rebels have expanded to everyone fighting back against the corporation, just with more tech and more openly (where AVALANCHE in FF7 were "terrorists" in a sense). Either way, I'm excited for it.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My PlayStation longs for this...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    no, it's turn based. there's already info explaining the battle system. here is what I remember, at least:

you are given a certain amount of 'sp' to do moves with every turn. you choose your actions from a list, each action a different amount of sp. once you run out of sp or pick everything you wanted to do you ok it and attack. then your character goes up to the enemies and does a combo of the moves you've chosen.

so for example if you have 10 sp, you could choose standard melee attack (3sp), fireball (4sp), and heal a partner with a potion (3sp), and it would carry out those all at one move. however there's going to be more powerful stuff that take up more, so there's strategy involved, etc.

this is all hypothetical about how it's going to work from what I've read just to give you an idea
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It almost looks like a combination between matrix and metal gear..
    it looks quite fun, but ff9 is more my kind of style.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    The FF12 system was real-time and still had the little pointers to select targets. Of course they also had the scripting system so you only had to select targets etc if you wanted to do something specific. I liked the 12 battle system. :(

Frank the Avenger
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I hope it has a better story than the last one, I enjoyed it but by the time I got to the last boss I was just confused - once the Occuria started showing up I felt like I just skipped into the middle of another book.

I've only played 8, 10 and 12... and I like 10 the best, I quit 8 in disgust once they revealed the "twist" and I got to the final boss in 12 but I couldn't beat him and didn't feel like repeating the battle since it was so long and drawn out.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I thought 8 was fucking awesome. can't imagine quitting the game because of a story twist though. Hell, I beat the game twice and I could not tell you even a summary of the story. I have no clue what happened, but it was fun and I enjoyed the ride. If anything they should make the stories a little simpler or maybe I'm just not paying attention enough. they do tend to get a little mixed up though from what I have played, it can't just be me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I didn't like the main characters, especially Squall and Irvine and when I got to the point were the characters realized they
    were all orphans raised by the big bad sorceress but for some reason they all forgot
    it was just too stupid to continue.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved 8, the Magic system was fun, and it made getting those high levels spells a biotch...My thought on the story...Well I played and loved 7, and it made a whole lot of no sense...and 8 was just as fun!! Even though the story was crazy, I played it and beat it a couple of times...
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    ff12 was totally starwars in miniskirts without the force. I enjoyed ff12, but the characters just weren't very deep, it needed more than what it was. I'm looking forward to 13, but after the last few games from squeenix, I'm not holding my breath at all.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Ah yes, good ole traditional Japanese storytelling. Fucked up shit that makes no sense coming from superficial plastic-like mannequins.

Not enough pseudo-homosexual beefcake action for my western tastes thanks.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I forgot to mention that I'm really starting to hate that tetsuya nomora guy.