Home General Discussion

Blade&Soul vs Tera

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
For a little over 5 years I haven't played a single mmo, for the sole reason that I was sick of every one of them having essentialy the same battle system, that is ones that are purely stat driven. Despite this I did check up from time to time on the state of the gener. Well a few hours ago I ran across the trailers for two new mmo's being worked on by NCSoft:

Tera The Exiled Realm of Arborea
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_j1vkPn0Rc&feature=related[/ame]

Blade&Soul
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtA1jSreK84[/ame]

Both of them use targetless battle systems, and while that in and of itself doesn't make them good, from the footage released thus far it appears that NCSoft may be doing a good job capitalizing on this new direction. That is to say I think that they actualy look fun to play. Of course we'll have to wait and see if all the elements come together to form a quality experience, but after seeing different clips I'm hopeful.

Now let the "omg! 5 years? U need 2 play game X!" comments commence ;)

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    AMAZING art. But Korean MMOs are geared to be grindfests. Like, no quests, no story, just kill thousands of the same creatures for hours on end.

Like if you play 10 hours a day, you might hit level 5 by the end of the week. Maybe level 10 by the end of the month kinda deal.

Then they usually dont throw in class changes till level 40ish, which should take around 3-4 months of completely devoted hardcore gaming.

And the REAL game apparently begins around level 60+

Koreans LOVE to level grind. They just do, and unless level grinding is your thing, I would steer clear of korean MMOs (But holy jesus do they ever LOOK nice).

Ive actually played better balanced korean MMOs that had (no joke) 25-50x expereince/loot drops. And it leveled at the same rate as diablo 2
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    That's interesting. Something like Dynasty Warriors in an MMO, which might be fun casually.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These look fantastic! I think i like the first one more based on art style, and the movie featured some gameplay action which looked very solid.

Though i might point out that there are at least two mmo's that do not feature auto targeting:
    - Risk Your Life, of which the American version is dead as far as i know and has a Malasian game running fairly strong.

- The Cronicles of Spellborn, recently released Dutch made game. Kind of a niche game but it looks pretty good and has refreshing art style and concept. And battle system as well.

And yes, Korean games = grind. They look nice though.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The second one's a Hyung Tae Kim-Unreal Engine 3 combo. If it ships with the editor, I'm buying. ;)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    giant boobs everywhere. yeesh! nothing wrong with that though.

I do like the idea of an MMO that plays like an action rpg. yes please!