Home Technical Talk

UT3 export to max?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello there,

I understand that Epic doesnt want us to export their statics/textures ect...

but I wanted to create terrain in Ued then export to max so that I could model directly onto that terrrain... This would make my inexperienced life much better I imagine. Is there a way that I can flag my uniquely self-made terrain so that it can be exported?

Can I ask what you terrain guys normally do in this situation of not being able to export, if there is no hope of doing a terrain export?

Replies

• DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    the best way to do this is make the terrain in your 3d program then bring it in to unreal and build a layered complex shader for your materials to swap between the textures ur wanting to mix together on your terrain. either that or build your assets with the thought that you are going to sculpt the terrain in ut3 and then place the houses. thats the easier way and most often the common way studios do so for exterior environments. its less of a headach.

always remember that as long as its running, looks good, and the performance is good your doing a good job. hope that helps
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess then its normal to just bring in the static mesh's and sculpt the terrain around that.

So you guys generally just have an idea of how the terrain will look like in your head / concepts while you sculpt the houses, vegetation ect?

And for scale, you bring in your main character I guess and just move him around the terrain for a visual reference?

I was just hoping to have a visual reference in max as to how big actually my UT3 256x256 outdoor terrain is. But it must just come with practice and experience.

thanks Frozan
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    ahh for scale of how big the scene is u can convert ur units in max directly to scale of unreal. so for every max unit u get a unreal unit. so basically make a plane with a 256x256 and thats the size. :)
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    have you tried going to "file" in the upper left hand corner and selecting export and export all, and choose obj? I've never tried it will terrain, but I've managed to block out my current scene i'm working on in UT and then export as obj to max. It also seems to only really work with additive environments, when I tried exporting from a subtractive enviro, bad things happen
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, no, when I do that it does create a file, I can try to import it into max, the obj import dialouge shows 2 files to load, the typical "default" and also a BSP object. then when I activate the import the viewport flashes and nothing appears.

Ive searched around some other forums and apparently this is what is supposed to happen? This way you cant have super easy access to the statics and characters belonging to Epic.

anyway, what frozen says is pretty accurate, so ill just create the terrain how I want it in max at the size I want, 1:1 it seems, then in ut3 ill just make a terrain the same size and just recreate using the max obj as a guide on top.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Microneezia: when you making terrain in UT3 and only have the terrain in the scene, did you try export all? because that works for bsp. Exported selected seemed to have the same problem as your describing for me in a few UE3 editors.
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Leedee: sounds promising! I actually didnt try that. I will work with that tonight. only BSP... ok! Thanks.
  • Thewiruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    Has noone made an exporter for UT3 yet?I mean i know the cocked folder cant be exported from Unreal Ed .There has always been walkarounds or applications that export both static meshes and textures from the older unreal like UT2004
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Microneezia: OK i tested the export all, and obj doesn't work when importing it into 3dsmax. I discovered that if you export as an STL (make sure you type that extension when saving it.) it opens in 3dsmax. Not sure if Maya supports stl files though.

terrainexportdy6.jpg
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    wow Lee3dee thats amazing... so it doesnt give you that option, but you manual type... ;) - nice one!
  • commander_keen
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    obj does work, its just a little picky.