Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Small Environment

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Szark polycounter lvl 12
A small environment I've been creating on and off over the last few days. 670 tris with a 2k x 2k texture..

75462314sb2.jpg
98746897mc2.jpg

C&C Welcome

Replies

• fortheweekend_
    Wow, i like that, i like that alot! i would live under that bridge if I could
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking the style so far, any concepts or something to get an idea of where your going with the piece?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cute, looks promising. Grass strikes me as a little radioactive, and why are the beams on the sides of the bridge green as well? Keep at it, some more dirt / tracks across the bridge would be sweet, and ofcourse more environment in general :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Szark,

I like the style a lot. Especially the bridge and stone texture on it looks really nice. I think you could improve the grass texture. At the moment it looks a bit undefined, like some kind of cloud pattern with green colors. When I look closely I can see that there are different layers of grass textures. But the bridge is far better.

I would like to see a close up on the ground with the bridge in the back. At the moment I have the impression, that thy texture style between both materials isn't exactly the same, but I can't exactly tell from the shot you posted. How is a player supposed to see the asset? (Distance from Player) What resolution for presenting the asset are you aiming at?

Last question: Why are you using so much texture space? You go with 2k Texture, but your asset onlay has 600 tris. I don't know how the others feel about it, but Either I would add some polys for more details on the shapes or reducing the texture size. At the moment I don't think you need 2k, a 1024 texture seems enough.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I would have to agree what Slave' said about the texture size. I digging the style, seems a bit old school, turned new. Kind of reminds me of Diablo3.

I would differently fix the grass and those 'rocks that are underneath the bridge. Some of them look way too flat. I would actually build em.

Cool bridge! More environment!
  • cowboyorange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Rasmus makes a good point. Are the Green blocks on the Bridge wood? if so that bridge probably would not have any wood in it and if they are green stone probably need to change the color unless you make them drainage holes or something. I'd say take them out all together and then add some rocks and stuff in the Valley below the bridge. Leaves and rocks would collect there. Other than that looks good though.
  • Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the crits / comments.

I only did this environment for fun, so I don't have any plans to expand on it, but I am planning on creating another environment in the same style, so I'll keep all your comments in mind for my new environment.

The reason the tri count is so low is because I wanted to practice texturing a scene that had a lowish tri count. You are right about the texture res though, it is too large, and it still looks ok with a 1024 texture on it.

Yes those green blocks are supposed to be wood, apparently I have a tendency to create my wood green, so I'll adjust that. And I realise that the bridge probably wouldn't have wooden supports in it, but I thought they were a nice little detail.

Here are a few closeups: 1 2

Again, thanks for the comments, I appreciate it :)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I wish you would continue with this environment.
  • fortheweekend_
    I dont mind the wood poking out IMO.
  • rul119
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should make more like that!
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    It might be just me but am I the only one who thinks there should be a lot more detail and colour variation in the texture if its a 2048? It's just that I'm not seeing any brown dirt, worn areas on the bridge where people walk, irregularities in the stone that makes up the bridge ... they're all little things, but it's the culmination of all the little things that really make a piece stand out.

No?