Home General Discussion

Going to Tokyo

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nkoste polycounter lvl 18
Next week I'm going to Japan, most of the time in Tokyo, but also Kyoto and Osaka. I'll be there for about 2 and a half weeks on a inspiration sorta trip getting ready for my final project in Design school.

Anyone know anything gaming related worth checking out? Toy stores, comic stores and the likes would also be interesting.

So far I'm planning to see the nintendo museum in Osaka and just go to toys R us, so anything beyond that is appreciated.

Replies

• Xenobond
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I did the same trip 2 years ago, for about 12 days, kyoto has a ton of awesome temples and gardens, there's a museum of manga there but it's not that hot, if you're into contemporary art, try to stop by naoshima island, the benesse house museum is quite impressive (designed by tadao ando). The olympic stadium in tokyo aswell as the interntional forum are quite interesting architecture-wise.

IIRC, my dad and I took about 1200 photos while there, have fun man !
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    nkoste wrote: »
    I'll be there for about 2 and a half weeks on a inspiration sorta trip getting ready for my final project in Design school.

Well some people have it nice! *goes back to bitterly chewing his 25c noodles*
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    If you like games, books and toys, this is the place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara

Visit Super Potato, you won't be sorry.

http://www.superpotato.com/
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    The Ghibli Museum is great. Also check out Akihabara, the electronics district.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya Gibli museum is awesome for sure, but you need ticket reservations like 2 months in advance. Akihabara is ok, but it over commercialized now and its not quite what it used to be.
    Most of the collector toys and stuff have been moved from there to the new location called The Broadway or something like that. Very dusty 5 story building with bad ventilation but has lots of kewl stuff to see and buy.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Lots of useful info here and just keep posting if you have more.

@Vahl: thanks man! I have to upgrade my camera then cause it only holds around 900 photos. I'm not much into modern architecture, but maybe I'll develop a sense for it there. I'll be sure to check out some out while there so thanks for the tips. The main reason we're going to Kyoto is the temples and gardens and that's something I'm really looking forward to.

The ghibli museum is a definite if I can get reservations. I didn't know there was one so thanks to all who suggested it.

Akihabara and superpotato sounds like places I need to go.

@JO420: Tak! Girlfriend application T-shirt. I have to think about that. I don't want to cause a riot.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont buy anything in Akihabara. It's a tourist trap and expensive. Though, I suggest you visit Super Potato and the Trader shops. They're not on the main Akihabara strip, you have to go back a block.

Go to Nakano instead. Go to the Nakano Broadway and you'll find tons of toy shops at the very end for great prices.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakano,_Tokyo

Visit Shibuya at night for great electric eye candy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibuya,_Tokyo

The Ueno prefecture is also very nice to visit for tourists. Lots of museums, a zoo, and lots of vegetation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ueno,_Tokyo

Also, visit Kamakura in the Kanagawa prefecture just southwest of Tokyo. I believe they have the most temples in Japan, and the largest outdoor buddah statue in the world.
    http://www.kanagawa-kankou.or.jp/english/area/index.html
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you take the Skyline right from the airport, it will dump you out at Ueno. Lots of shopping there. I liked looking around Aki, but I didn't stay long. The Shinkansen station just West of there has some nice eateries for tourist people. But if you want the real food, look for the hole in the wall places or get out of the city and go to a village. Also, try to find out the region specialty drink/food... Oki vs Tokyo vs Northern villages are VERY different with foods and flavors, very fun if you like to eat. Also, they talk different, Northern people have what we'd call a Southern Drawl... old people are REALLY hard to understand there.

If you like skiing and general debauchery in the snow, the Iwate prefecture has TONS of festivals, and winter is awesome there. Just outside of Tamayama (incorperated into Morioka last year) there is a snow festival. Giant snow sculptures and such. Also the countryside has tons of outdoor onsens. But if you go north, you'll see more volcanic springs. If you don't mind the smell of sulfer and being buck naked to the world, hop on in. Oh and bring a towel.

If you ever go to a public onsen here are some rules: Wash your ass before you get in the onsen. There's little showers all along the walls, sit there and get clean. If you don't you'll notice all the people just get up and leave slowly... seen it happen many times. It's really just like taking a deep soak. If you step into one in Ropongii and lots of old dudes with tats are in there, back up and find another. Usually the person at the desk knows who's in what, and would set you up in a non Yakuza occupied onsen. Also, if you want a co-ed onsen, pay up... the girls usually aren't that hot.

Learn to count, learn the money system, basics... and learn to party. If you stick in Toyko the chances of someone speaking English are great in the night hot-spots. Going to the backwoods, the chances of someone speaking English is like .1%. If you can't hold your booze, stick to beer, they have tons of multi-colored drinks, and Calpis might be in 60% of them. Never go back to your hotel room, go to a love hotel (2hr, 6hr and overnight options).

If you like to drive (like drive drive, not put around in an econo-box), there is a place in Aomori that would take you for a ride in an STi or some Evo (like a 4) and they will let you get behind the wheel if you can do it. Doing 60~70mph through mountain passes is awesome.

And try not to look like a tourist. Have fun and take pictures.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Are you still in Tokyo, if so we can meet up. Im living here during my vacation.
    If not, how was it?

osc
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Well some people have it nice! *goes back to bitterly chewing his 25c noodles*

Ha!

Mine are only 15c =P
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oscar that's sounds like fun! How long are you here? maybe something around the weekend? We're staying in Asakusa.

@Lamont: Thanks a lot especially for the washing tip, however not looking like a tourist will be difficult.

@skankerzero: Thanks!
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    nkoste wrote: »
    Oscar that's sounds like fun! How long are you here? maybe something around the weekend? We're staying in Asakusa.!

Im here for 3 months. I stay in Akasaka Mitsuke.
    my japanese phonemail is xxxxxxx@softbank.ne.jp
    mail me. who are you here with?
    First i was here for a month with Hellobuddy, cubic and another artist from the mirrors edge team.
    now ive been here alone for one and a half month.

If youve not been yet, you need to go to the retro game bar 16shots in shinjuku.
    http://16shots.jp/i/

All gamedevs from japan seems to visit there. not many speaks english though so i hope your japanese is good.

mail me!
    oscar
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I still go to Super Potato on a regular basis... fantastic place. Hanging out at 16-shots is great too, I've met some great people there. Bare in mind though it's situated in the largest gay bar district of Tokyo ;)

To get into the Ghibli museum you can book a ticket from any convenience store.

I live in Shibuya, it's a constant costume party.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Also, if you want a co-ed onsen, pay up... the girls usually aren't that hot.

heh
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    hawken. lets go to 16shots and have a polycount meeting then. :)

where are you from originally?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    heh
    I found it's more fun if it's get some girls and go get drunk at some onsen in the woods (wife is reading over my shoulder and hits me.)... watch out for turds and suzumebachi.

I had the luck of getting one of those stuck in a ski mask I bought (coincidentally it was a mask with a skull on the front and back).
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to add, if you have the cash and time (6 hour boat ride or an expensive ass helicopter ride), there is a water park on the large island in Toyko Bay, there's even a dolphin exhibit (you get to swim with them and stuff). It's a neat island from what I hear. If you decide to go, PM me. I will ask my cousin if she can do anything for you to reduce the cost of getting in.

Eat food from street vendors!! That stuff is good! Baked sweet potato's in the winter!! Whooo!!
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Lamont wrote: »
    I would like to add, if you have the cash and time (6 hour boat ride or an expensive ass helicopter ride), there is a water park on the large island in Toyko Bay, there's even a dolphin exhibit (you get to swim with them and stuff). It's a neat island from what I hear. If you decide to go, PM me. I will ask my cousin if she can do anything for you to reduce the cost of getting in.

Eat food from street vendors!! That stuff is good! Baked sweet potato's in the winter!! Whooo!!

i went there the day before yesterday. They hade 3 huge killer whales and a baby killer whale.. awesome
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car wrote: »
    hawken. lets go to 16shots and have a polycount meeting then. :)

where are you from originally?

honourable sir, I say herro over KTAI PM to you
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    eat as much local food as you can. you will miss it terribly the second you leave.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken, Oscar you have PM's.

Will do Gauss!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say that in addition to Nakano's broadway, there's still a "Mandarake" shop in Shibuya (near Tokyu Hands), and on Senta-gai there's the classic 50yen game center (opposite HMV). There's also great ramen in Shibuya called "Ichi-ran", if you come across Hachiko and walk towards Tower Records, if that tickles your fancy :)

Never been to 16shots - is it that game-related bar?:)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to meet Japanese girls that want to meet English speaking men, try the Gas Panic nightclub in Shibuya. It's near the trains station. Cheap drinks before 9pm.

http://www.gaspanic.co.jp/
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude you got it so wrong ;)
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    rasmus wrote: »
    Never been to 16shots - is it that game-related bar?:)

yes. the counter if filled with portable consoles of all kinds and the have a NES jukebox that is pretty cool. also the table is a horizontal arcademachine. I went there the summer 2007 with the producer of shadow of the colossus and he played through all his games from his time at Taito projected on the wall. Its worth a visit, the toilet is also filled with buisness cards from hundreds of developers.

And I agree with Hawken about gaspanic.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! That's awesome!

My school's trying to get a "study abroad" type deal going, but we can only manage smaller trips (1 week to 1 month) and they'd be about 5K USD, so it's far beyond my reach atm >_<

Take some awesome pictures!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, worked pretty well for me and my friend.

Although, I agree it's not really a place to meet good girls.

I had lots of success just going to the local European style pubs too.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Theres a 8-bit happening tomorrow night, with live acts and DJs playing video game related music.
    Seems like they play games and sell stuff as well.

Its 3500yen, but could be sold out. im trying to contact a swedish band performing there.
    looks interesting for sure.

http://www.fami-mode.com/
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: Dude, let's hit Gaspanic :D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, with napalm
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went out in shinjuku a couple of nights ago and found the red light district. There was a lot of small bars tinyest I've ever seen The first bar I almost entered was full of transvestites. Later on my friend and I found a cozy one with room for about 5 people.

Hawken, Oscar I'm still up for a meeting at 16shots or some other place this weekend. I'm in Kyoto now, but I'll be back thursday. Oscar you think you can sneak away from your parents one night?

Sumo!
    534.jpg
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    yes i think so. when theyve gone to bed ill sneak out and meet ya.
    thursday sounds best at this point, but no promises made.

i went down to one of the gaspanics in shibuya the other day, curious of how bad it really was.
    and it was baad, i was up on the street again after only a few minutes followed by this italian guy
    who was cursing himself over and over for going there.

ja ne