Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My new flash website.

***FIXED***

Ok It should all be working fine now, after ealier.

I have made some changes after reading the reviews.

See if you like it. Please let me know

www.labithiotis.co.uk

Thank you
Daz

Replies

• monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I waited a couple of minutes for the page to load and all I got was a screen of green wallpaper, a black box and an option to change the settings menu. Not sure what's going on there...? (Google Chrome)

EDIT:
    In Firefox I get absolutely nothing.
    In Internet Explorer I get an error message and obviously...nothing.
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh? this i wired it was workin 10 mins ago. I swear. I'll check my ftp
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok try it now, i think one of the files got corrupted while uploading
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, yup...now it's working in Chrome...half of the time. Not sure what's going on there still.

It seems a bit gimmicky to me. I'd much rather have something load up quickly and show me your work in a simple fashion than to have to wait a couple of minutes just so I can flick through 3d style pages. I don't care much for the music either.

In your 'work' section, when I click on a thumbnail, nothing happens. Oh, and the character work you have on your site is probably worth taking off. Everyone will tell you that if you don't like something, chances are neither will an employer. Only show your best.

Good luck.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    edit: works now, but still takes ages to load compared to most sites (1-2 min waiting on a blank page)

And when it does load, each page didnt instantly load up (after I clicked "work", I had to wait another minute for it to actually show anything) And then I clicked on one of the images and it just gives me a little black square in middle of the page, cant go back, no indication of if its loading something or what... pretty much stuck on this little black square page for a minute, and then something finally loaded and I got the chance to close it and go back.

Tried clicking on another image just in case it was only that image that took 1 min to load - and it wasnt, all images take this long to load and the user is stuck waiting with nothing else to look at except a fullscreen button (yay thanks).

Going by looks alone it does look ok, but the speed is worse than horrible - so bad that it actually kills any motivation to continue looking. I'm amazed the work page still takes 1 min to load even after I already loaded it once... I'll comment more about the navigation and layout when the speed is sorted, right now its a waste of time. Or well not completely, since I did manage to type up this post while waiting for most the pages to load.
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use opera. think i need to do some debuging :P, does it load anything in firefox/ie. I just tried it and it loads main window and plays music
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    ok, it 'looks' pretty but i've waited two minutes and only see the background image and your name with a see through box on page with a settings option in the bottom right..

is that it? Firefox3..
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol nope. its got all content.. Its seems to soemthing with my ftp (fasthost) going to clear and re upload. Seems to work in chrome, opera fine but havin problems with firefox ie. Sorry guys, i use opera and when i start thread it was workin fine for me . So typical!!

ANyways just bare with me
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking ages to load up then just went to an error page (no directory listing allowed). Using Opera.

Honestly though, Flash has no place on a portfolio site unless you are infact a Flash developer. It takes ages to load, you can't link directly to stuff inside of it, it encourages swishy annoying stuff and generally it just makes it twice as much of a chore to get to the work on the site than straight up HTML would do.

Generally, I'll close a portfolio site if I see it's made in Flash without waiting for it to load and I'm not even a recruiter :P
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok fasthost is reseting my ftp space. think its the problems. so i'll scrub this thread untill its fully fixed.

Talon. i understand the flash can load slow somtimes but i swear it was working very quickly earlier. Please let me can things sorted and you can veiw it when its loads correctly.

Thanx
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok can some just try it now!
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon's right...let your 3d work do the talking - most people get turned off very quickly when they come to a flash based website.

I spent six years as a flash developer/animator before moving to games but my gameart folio is still super lo-fi...just a jpeg of thumbnails with an image map. You might want to spend a bit more time than I did though - haha!

You can't save images from a flash site.
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did have just simple jpg website but i didn't like it. Think its all workin fine now.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    still take a bit to load, flash wise looks ace.. but as said above, I would of just went to another site, spelled brochure wrong you spelled it "broucher"..

Do we really need 'news'?

And again, when clicking for every image it takes way too long to load.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    If you're serious about making a portfolio make a simple html with a thumbnail gallery, resume, and contact information. This is so that an employer can quickly preview, download your content, and store in a potential hires folder.

You have broken the system by having a flash site that slowly loads, distorts thumbnails, hides your content, and made your contact information unavailable. The first image that comes up is a lens flare. The character work is memorable for all the wrong reasons. Move on from trying to make web sites, and focus on the quality of your work.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    There's nothing wrong with flash websites. But when designing a portfolio site, you always have to keep the user experience in mind. One of the nice things about your current site is that when it loads up, there is some of your work immediately on display. That's something that every portfolio site needs to have. You don't have to throw them directly into your image gallery. But some example of your work should be front-and-center, to help draw them in.

The biggest issue with your site at the moment is that it makes your pieces hard to view. The interface for browsing them is very flashy and appealing. But when I click on them, I get nothing. Normally, that would be the point where the image pops up and I get a nice big view of it. The point of a portfolio is showcasing art. Tiny little versions of art are not nearly enough. If the art is the point, the art should take up the most space, and be the biggest priority.

You clearly evidence a considerable amount of expertise in flash. I love the options for customizing the look of the site, but again I can't help but question this feature on a portfolio. A portfolio also showcases the artist's design abilities. Giving the user options like this detracts from the cohesion of the artists presentation.

This site is an excellent example of capable flash design, but it is lacking as an artistic portfolio.
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers man. thanxs for the advice. think i am going to change the home page. make it very easy to view my work then have the section to view all of my work say.
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All up and edited!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Dazzer13: I was surprised how fast it loaded for me after reading what others have written. It was not slow by any means, and the loading wasn't an issue.

However, like others have said, I don't think a flash website is the way to go, especially with someone who is just trying to get there foot in the door. I mean, you are trying to get a potential employer to give you a chance. Making a flash website will only do you harm for this reason. Employers want to look at your art see its quality, and then move on. Music and other distractions will only irritate them.

Nice job making the site, but if you want to get a job in the game industry, please make a simplistic website showcasing your art. It might be hard to swallow, but trust me it will be worth it.

As for your work, I think the first environment you show is your best. You need to start making more pieces of the caliber or higher. So quite worrying about flash, and get to working on the important stuff, 3d art!

BTW, I suggest you do a little revising to your about me section. You have some kind of awkward sentences in there.

Good luck.
  • cowboyorange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loading between images could turn off potential employers, From what I have read they don't want to wait for the images to load even if it is only a few seconds. I'd say if you could remove the loading between clicking images and maybe make it easier to view your work. Having to click multiple times is some thing else that could turn people off. Also only your best work should be up there. Anything that is only so so should be removed.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Took awhile for me as well.

Your Sci-Fi tank needs less "CrazyBump MakeArt Button" with your spec and normals, and I think you need to better understand the creation of High Poly and Specular maps to be effective.

I would also suggest a bit more modularity in your environment scenes, rather than attempting to unwrap and texture entire buildings and surfaces.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    get iit proof-read. There's too many errors in the english - doesn't matter how shiny the flash, this makes it look really sloppy and unprofessional
  • Dazzer13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 - thanxs for the advise, think i will have two sites one which is purely for job portfolio and the other for personal work displaying.

danr - yer i know my dyslexicer doesn't help, i do keep asking other ppl to proof.

as for the work, i release i still much to do, and i will start doing a lot more 3D work. I am just trying to decide that i want to go down enviroment work fully.

Thanks for the responce
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    it didnt take too long to load, but the loading time of your thumbnails caused me to close it
    your work looks good, but i dont want to waste the time of waiting for them to load
    flash is cool, and you can make it work, but make sure its lightning quick, cuz i got turned off within the first 30 seconds of being to your site
    the layout i dig, and the background is cool, but id work on your loading times
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew, ok... aside from the fact it's Flash (which I don't like at all, but we know that already)...

Kill the music. No website should have music playing that isn't specifically about playing music or a video and even then you should probably have the user initiate it themselves, rather than force the user to have to try and turn it off. The music's also copyrighted and not credited anywhere. Infact you state that everything on the site is copyrighted to you (3 years ago...).

There's no wires, textures, polycounts or even descriptions on anything except the watercooler. And the normals on that are totally screwed (never just throw a diffuse map through crazybump, you will not get correct normals; see this). Also, filters also do not make specular or reflection maps.

Ditch the brochure, it's not very good and it has nothing to do with 3D art. It's also spelled incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure that stairwell was a pre-supplied model for a lighting competition a couple of years back, but that's not stated anywhere.

Spellcheck! It's not hard to do but there's quite a few slip-ups, as dan said "iit" makes it look sloppy and unprofessional.

The other thing is that it's not clear exactly what you want to do. There's one piece of game art there and the rest is general 3D art. There's some levels (which only have one photoshop filtered screenshot - no downloads or additional untouched). Figure out which direction you want to go in and then build your folio towards that.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    do the images all have to be opened via double click? That seems pretty unintuitive for the web, even though its pretty common for other computer things.

took me a while to figure out, and i think i did by accident because i was furiously clicking on stuff when getting angry that they wouldnt open :)
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    It's over thought and under functional.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all about refinement and polish. This site still needs some.

I'm not as down on flash as some of the other members here. (what's with all the Flash-hate?) But I do agree that Flash probably isn't the best choice for an on-line art portfolio. Traditional web coding will serve you better for this purpose. Even though I personally love Flash, I do keep my personal portfolio site non-flash.

I wouldn't throw away the flash. I'd just keep it handy for applications to flash-related positions. You could pull it out to apply for GUI or interface design positions as well.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the audio had some poppy static for me
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    It's a really well thought out site and I like the color pallet you chose, but Flash sites are an instant put off for ALOT of people because they take a little longer to load. I dont want to detour you from creating a great site, but if you're seeking a 3d related career....why try to overly dazzle with a site that takes a while to load?

But good stuff none the less man.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    loading times were good here- though its obvious you used a template. The design of the template itself stands imo. more out as your personal work. What I think could help here would be to darken the general GUI of the design make it less popping out so your work gets more attention.
    I noticed a typo in the reference page at the photoshop slicing part. Some of your works are to big in the screenshot- I have 1280*1024 here and some of the picture came close to the border of browser- even though there was not much detail in the work. Esspecially the 3d screenshots/rendering could be smaler.

Oh and I HATE music on websites its something people do on myspace- forces me to search for the mute button or open the windows volume panel. I guess a valid reason why so many people hate flash websites.
    Btw. did you noticed yourself that many of the songs have bad quality- there is lot of noise in them, another reason to ditch them, besides that the music has nothing to do with you,- you did not made the tracks,- neither does it say anything about you other than that you are a halo fan or whater game music runs.

Some odd content imo is:
    - news: why on a portfolio,- even more if the news content is not related to your work
    - main/ all works: why have 2 sections- it just irritates so stick with one. Also the cover flow is just annoying- everyone does that these days and its so obvious that it tries to mimic apple and by that you place yourself already very low. As a artist or designer you should instead try to stand out.

As for the content:
    I think alot of the pieces could use more refinement- often I saw some wacky photoshop filter on them which is bad- because anyone who knows photoshop will notice that right away. Alot of the 3d works were often empty and not rich enough in detail and quality.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i was rockin out to some zeplin when i made the mistake of clickin your link, and had a not pleasant mix of loud rock and loud forced midi music. NEVER put auto playing music on your site, thats so freakin geocities, only thign you are missing is about 50 animated spinning gifs and extruded font.

i'm not a fan of flash for portfolios, i think it over complicates things. it loaded fairly quick,, about 3 or so seconds, but thats 3 or 4 seconds too long.

as far as content, i would say work more on normal maps, the link posted in this thread is a good place to look, anytime i see someone just convert a base map to normal, makes me want to murder something.

the brochure i would remove unless you were specificaly looking for a job doing that. and even then,, i would spend some time making more, all the images just faded together is confusing, you need some seperation, thers a cannon that just kinda blurs into a platform of barels, that blurs into a yellow tank thing, just seems like 10 pics placed randomly on layers in photoshop then you just soft erased away chunks, the little circle insets are tonly, and its hard to tell whats going on inside them. and everything is the same green.

the train map looks ok, but is it suposed to have the photoshop filter look? did you add that to the screen shot, or just a setting in hammer? and if it is a setting why? if its something you did to the textures of the level to get that look then its cool, if you just turned on a effect that comes with hammer to try and add some instant coolness then it is a letdown. let your art speak, not filters,

keep at it and you should get there,
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i clicked the paintball image to the right, took about 10 seconds to load for my in firefox 3. I would go back to using simple tables and easy to load website and show off your work.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the same site could be made in html and get you far better results. (if you code it responsibly, no dreamweaver or table junk)

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_(JavaScript)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    After it took about 30+ seconds to load one image on your website I left. And this is what people will do when your looking for a job.

Also I would ditch the water cooler. You might think its nice but what it says to employers is "here is an art test I failed at, can I work at your company?"
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also, check this out and think about it
    http://mv.cgcommunity.com/
    Time spent on html/flash : 0,01%
    Time spent doing kickass art : 99,99%
    Loading time : none
    Ease of access : hard to beat

Simple really...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Im all for simplicity but pior this example isnt that good imo. 90% of the space is unused (using 1680x1050), its annoying and the amount of scrolling can be reduced a lot.

It would look better if he didnt use any <br> tags and just spammed a block of images plus it will save 1 sec of time pasting the <br> tag, even more time to spend doing kickass art.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think the lightbox javascript app should be considered a standard for anyone interested in making a portfolio site. It's extremely light-weight, and the results are some of the best for displaying your work. It's even aspect-ratio independent, so you don't have to worry about all of your images being the same alignment.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Richard, in short, no.
    In long, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    (yeah ZeroPunctuation I know!)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think lightbox is often annoying,- I hate it and I dislike every website that uses it- its a little bit more annoying as pop-up windows (which should be part of the past by now anyway- because it was also very annoying).
    What I dont like about it:
    - soooooooooo slow to navigate (transition tween, stupid and fake preloader- it would be better if the images would load as scanline like they usually do in regular html sites)
    - takes away control - you cant open the images in tabs or do other specific browser stuff (if your browser is advanced enough :) )
    - makes your wbesite look like any other one
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It isn't loading for me...
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I went through this entire thread waiting for your site to load. I only got the background and the black box. I refreshed it, then I got the same deal but then the menu after a minute. I tried clicking the links and everything was taking too long to load so I closed it. Wasted about 5 minutes trying to view the content of your site.
    If I were an employer, I wouldn't even have waited more than 20 seconds for your site to load before giving up on it.

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Questions:

1. why blast mirrors edge in your news section? are you mad? you are looking for a games job.
    2. why do I need a separate window to view your videos? (flash is good for videos)
    3. lots and lots of spelling errors in your site, spell checked this?
    4. no one likes music on websites, do you?
    5. can I change the font size or print out your CV?
    6. can I save images from your site?
    7. what if I don't have flash?

Basically, flash is not working in yours or anyone else's favour. Spelling mistakes make you look unprofessional.