Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A nod to the London based counters....:)

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
If some of you guys don't reconise this then I failed.......Epicly.

My first effort at a largish/ambitious enviroment peice for 'next gen', had fun as well as a whole bunch of frasturations working on it, but learnt bucket loads which is the main thing. :)

Feedback welcome.

Regards,

John

marblearchcamara3bgnl9.jpg
marblearchcamara04gc7.jpg
marblearchcamara1wv7.jpg
marblearchcamara5tx4.jpg
marblearchwire01xf5.jpg
marblearchcamara03wiregd7.jpg

Replies

• rdramsay1121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the thread title is confusing people... anyway, good piece, I like the detailing on the reliefs. Did you use crazybump or something similar for that? Having shadows in the piece would make it even better (the lamps shining through the gates and casting shadows would be great)
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    it's looking pretty good so far.

I only have a couple crits.

- The lighting needs a bit of work, since at the moment it is looking a bit boring. Maybe try adding 3 point lighting adding some red, blue fill and back lights in, but very slight.

- The edges of everything are too sharp, put some bevels in the normal map on the edges so it doesn't look so sharp.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    add a second, unique, unmirrored UV channel and bake ambient occlusion, that will help making the whole thing feel more consistent and solid.
    stronger shadows will help too
    you have distortion on the middle part of the floor, it's way too clean too, add stains and stuff like that.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Seems to lack a fair bit of weathering for a structure made from stone.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a solid piece of work.
    Things i recommend here are,
    Adding a lightmap,if this is really for the nextgen spec.You need to unwrap the second uv channel and bake the lightmap with the occlusion in it.
    Add more definition in the diffuse texture,more dirt,leaking and variations.
    Model damages to the asset,as it looks neat now with out any silhouette changes.
    Get rid of the sharp edges.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    clean too clean, please add decal layer for extra non-cleaness

plus some of youre trim peices woulb be better off normal mapped even if you still add geom for the sillohette, HP-LP will give some free AA and help with fizziness of parrellel lines
  • -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    Just posting because no one else has stated the obvious yet.

Put your polys where the players will see them. You have so many polys at the top of those 4 collums that could be spent at the bottom. Given the size of the asset, chances are a player would have to be pretty far off to see that angle, and then the detail is for what purpose?

Texturing wise I think its a decent diffuse, all the other maps need some tweaking. I'm not sure exactly what is causing the lack of contrast... either its bad bump/spec maps or possibly just the lighting.

As far as the gates go, spot on!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    cheers for the feedback all,will look into the crits in the morning. just glad to have some more eyes look over it.

Regards,

John
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    isn't it missing some key words?!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha ha this looks like a really fun piece man.

I think if anything, push the lighting. It has such cool shapes that you could really create some nice dramatic shadows that could really set this piece apart from others. I see that you have a background picture as well, maybe use that to judge where the lighting is coming from.

MOAR PLZ!