Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Josh Rife - Environments and Props

Hi everyone,

This is my first post up at polycount. Very quickly, I'm a 3rd year student working on my undergrad in Games and Environment art. I put together this website over the holidays to show some of what I've been working on.

www.joshrife3d.com

You'll notice that this stuff is diffuse/vert lighting only.

Any crits would be much appreciated! Thank you!

- Amad

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it seems strange to have 3 512X textures for that cannon piece. But I'm probably full of it.

I love the little carmine piece. Carmine FTW!!!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    i'm lovin it so - interesting idea on using a piece of art to inspire the whole lvl art
    minor crits - you go to town making it more atmospheric and realistic by emphasizing the statue/fountain piece by doing a little more splashes further down the steps and floor - darken the rest p and make that roof hole the primary light source, cause at the moment you've got torches, floor lights and a roof strip - meh just my two cents..

oh and a webpage nitpick - everything doesn't center in the page - it hangs left, youve got some frames and table stuff going - wynot put it all-in a container div which hangs in the centre?
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    Yeah man that Carmine rockz :D
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    images too little too see any type of detail. You have 4 seperate images stuffed inside a non resizable 875px
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input! I'll definitely try to revamp the presentation sheets to show some wires/textures a little clearer, as well as the site itself. More to come soon!
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks for the crits and the responses! I agree about the wireframe and texture's needing their own presentation space; I'll definitely get on that. As far as the site goes, I plan on taking this to a lightbox that'll pop up some larger images in a slideshow format. I'll respost as soon as I can :D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    couple things,

i would center it
    change the order things are in, and maybe give it there own pages.
    maybe change the mouse overs
    for your own banner, i would play with the text more, everything is just lined up underneath eachother wich looks kinda simple.
    grey text on a dark grey background is not working very well
    get the gears logo out of the screenshot
    give your models more credit by better presentation renders. it are mostly cutouts with no detail, or alot is stuffed into one picture. take a look at how other people do those things.
    the chickn cannon is cool, only busy screenshots with the info somewhere hidden inbetween.
    maybe give the img's borders with room for info, or a bar underneath em.

hars crits for good resolds ;)

good luck! :)
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, it's been a while. I've been working on some new stuff and a new web layout. Any feedback would be appreciated and implemented as I'm graduating soon and am looking to get my feet wet. Thanks everyone!

www.JoshRife3D.com

- Amad
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Is their a point why your maps are so small in some of your shots? I mean, if your gona show texture maps, SHOW THEM. Squeezing them into the same space as your piece, its pointless cause they are tiny and gives me no information on them at all.

Also (and this might be nit pick, but it bugs me to no end), when you size your images, keep the width the same on all of them. This aviods me from moving my mouse left, then right, then left, then further left and so forth. Keeping the width the same, I dont have to keep moving my mouse and I can scrub through them with ease.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I personally liked the china town slum house and the havok pieces. I think they should come first , but that just my opinion
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    very nice site,
    i think your chinatown slum is your best piece. still, the upstairs i felt could use some polishing and additional detailing.

overall, looking at your work here, i think you've shown good competencies in texturing and modeling, with a more involved interest in texturing, uncertain of your full technical understandings of the processes, but you share some nice texture flats and nothing too terrible in your wire shots. regarding, specifically,the decoy gun, the polycounts seem a little heavy for the end result, meaning, the texture resolution and treatments do not warrant the amount of polys used. but again, it's just a portfolio peice, there are no real specs, so i always consider portfolio pieces that are made just for show on loose ground in terms of how many polys should be used.

the work you have definitely matches what you're selling yourself as, which is an environment/texture artist, that's a good thing for a portfolio and also, i feel it's good to have a known focus so you have control over what direction you'll be growing in.

your texture work tends to looks the same, it's very desaturated, you don't seem very brave with your color, and yeah, i do kinda see that as a bad thing :\ but that's just me personally. i don't see a very good variety in defining different materials and the majority of your work is poorly lit, you should definitely look into that as an environment artist.

so i mention those few things with the intention that you'd challenge yourself to grow in that direction and wouldn't take it as "my work sucks" because it doesn't, it's good, i just wanted to highlight some areas i thought you may want to work on. ;)
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I agree with those crits completely. I will implement the changes to the layout, ASAP in regards to showing larger textures.

KILLINGPEOPLE: I see what you mean about lighting. A lot of the lighting end of things has been self-taught. As these are all viewport shots, would you have any suggestions for what to focus on specifically? As a rule, I try to use warm key lights and cool fill lights, but maybe that's too uniform and boring?

In school, we're taught that showcasing work in viewport is most desirable, but I notice that a LOT of the great enviro-art out there is rendered in some form, or at least brought into an engine. As someone well versed in the field, do you think I would be better served by bringing my stuff into engine or rendering it?

Thanks for the crits guys, I'll get on this stuff.