Home General Discussion

animation Content for portfolio

Hi all, since the 3D industry is being hit hard here in Vancouver, well everywhere for that matter, so I've been told anyhow, because of the economy. All I can do is go to my labor job to pay the bills and come home work on content for my reel.

I've been trying to find out what it is a game studio is looking for in terms of animation, because my field of interest is animation.

I've been told so many different things from modellers, from 2d artist, from even tattoo artists, but not animators.

Here's what I need help with.

Are there any ANIMATORS who have or are working for a GAME studio that could tell me what kind of CONTENT a GAME studio wants to see to increase my chances of getting a job?

Do they want the basic walk cycle and weight lift or am I expected to far more creative than that?

Any help or comments are more than welcome and appreciated from anybody.

However my goal is essentially trying to find out how other ANIMATORS got their jobs.

Good luck to everyone who wants to work for this industry or is working in this industry.

Cheers.

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    how about some really convincing loops like walk cycles where you REALLY can feel the weight of things AND something creative ?! :)

i would hire animators based on those 2 factors if he/she can do something really subtle/realistic and something really crazy/unrealistic but awesome.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well if you want to be an ingame animator, good examples for all sorts of cycles, the ability to characterize your animations and very important for a lot of jobs - the ability to animate 'realistic' humans should show through on your reel.
    familiarity with animation blending and mocap tweaking is pretty important, too.
    also depends on the kind of studio you'd like to go for. for example if they're into making FPS, first-person prop animations might be interesting to show as well.

if however you're aiming more towards cutscenes, then that is a different beast alltogether, acting, staging, facial- and camerawork, etc. go check out showreels from film school graduates, animation mentor alumni or similar for that.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Take a closer look at the companies that your wanting to work for

Then, make some animations that you think would fit perfectly with those games they've made. If it's a sports company that's done a lot of soccer games, make some soccer animations.

Suiting your reel to the company you'd like to work for, will help your chances.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    mogankun wrote: »
    Any help or comments are more than welcome and appreciated from anybody.

Tips:

Like how modellers focus on one area (enviro, character, props), find the area you can show focus on with your reel: mocap cleanup/editing, creature (real animals/ fantasy/ droid), fx (explosions, magic fx), cinematics (helpful if you can show you've used a games scripting language or editor tools to make them), fight choreography with multiple characters interacting with each other.

Showing knowledge and competence skinning and rigging would help a lot.

Keep reel under 5 minutes. No juvenile gags with big jug models (assume female animators are gonna review your stuff). Anime no, unless it's an anime style friendly studio you're applying to.

Motions you can animate? Go to gametrailers for ideas. Or hunt down pros' blogs/folios for more info. Post in forums for feedback.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, puppetshop and cat are free now.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, good advice from above, we did push (up hill) pull, walk, run, jump, climb up a ladder and lipsync, and mocap cleanup for my animation reel. We even had a run, jump, hang, fall and land all in one cycle too. A four legged one wouldn't hurt either, but there's problems in animation you overcome in all of these so, finding a creative atmosphere to show them off in would be ace.