Home General Discussion

Best Job/Vacatiion EVER

To those affected by the layoffs, Welcome to the best opportunity of your life.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090113/od_afp/lifestyleaustraliatourismoffbeat_20090113032028

The only negative i see is possibly having short term Island fever. But, this job is perfect for anyone willing. ;)

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i lack the badassness to pull this off, but good luck to anyone who does give it a go!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I cant help but feel this is incredibly suspicious. Super vague details, but this is what I can gather (the website wont load for me, so this is just from the article)

-Only one Candidate will be chosen ("The successful applicant")
    -There is no mention of food supply
    -No mention of any form of entertainment media other than posting blogs/etc for the show
    -No mention of any film or medical crew...last time I checked Australia is full of everything on earth that kills you. Box Jellyfish, Reef-Tip Sharks, Moray Eels, Razor sharp and poisonous coral, lion fish, barracuda...that's just in the water. Any native species of snakes, spiders, army ants, wild boars?
    -No mention of survival gear of any kind, just housing. Knifes, firearms, spears?
    -Are there cameras mounted around the island? Will you have any privacy at all, will this be later televised?

So do you have to be a survivalist to take this? It really starts to sound like some kind of weird psychological experiment. Six months is an incredibly long time to be all alone on an island in the pacific ocean.

I'm probably just paranoid and the website details a totally different skew, but oh well.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Best job in the world? Not for me. I would still rather make video games for a living then sit on an island alone doing work for some government. I don't even think I would do it for a year. Guess It would depend on the person...
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    6 months is a long time to work on your portfolio undisturbed! and dominance war 4 around the corner, you could participate in that and finish too! booya...as long as theres internet...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The article never said you'd be alone I think the image to the side threw you guys off. It's for Hamilton Island.

Hamilton Island
    is the largest inhabited island of the Whitsunday Islands, a collection of wet drowned mountains situated close to the east coast of Queensland, Australia. Hamilton Island is located at. Unlike most islands off the east coast of Australia, Hamilton Island is used almost exclusively for tourism. However the island is catering for a growing number of residents, both employees of the various businesses on the island and also those people choosing to retire and enjoy the lifestyle.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that's a different picture indeed. Now I'm kind of disappointed...I was hoping they were going to unleash a zombie virus onto the wildlife of the island or watch some guy go insane from loneliness...but a fully inhabited tourist island? How lame.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Guys, its to support their tourism. They will make sure that you are very very happy so you can tell everyone else how happy you are.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I once had a job that involved sitting on the floor in a circle with 4 other guys smashing semi-used power tools with a big hammer. The smashed power tools then got thrown in a skip. Great times. Life was simpler back then.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    couldnt you have used the semi used power tools to smash up the semi used power tools? that sounds like more fun..
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    i bet ur alone on there with the tigers they imported. No electricity except the gyro you will have to bicycle to get the electricity u need To: take care of "a few minor tasks" -- and report to a global audience via weekly blogs, photo diaries and video updates. power up camera and laptop.

oh with the " ---minor....--- " comes the irony.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I'll do it! :D
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    call me paranoid but this seems like a setup for a reality show. next thing you know, there are zombies popping up and you're like WTF pissing your pants and its being broadcasted on Fox
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    The domain for the website is .com/en. not .com.au or gov.au

suspicious
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    I can only assume that this job comes with a never ending supply of Foster's beer and Vegemite sandwiches. If not, then well....yeah, I'm still in.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    alexk wrote: »
    call me paranoid but this seems like a setup for a reality show. next thing you know, there are zombies popping up and you're like WTF pissing your pants and its being broadcasted on Fox

and you wouldn't do that for that much money + free rent in a 3 bed apt for 6 months?

fuck that, i've already applied! and if i get the place, i'm bringing 2 other friends with me using the other $150,000 AUS they're paying me >_>
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Those friends better be sexy groupies :P
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I can only assume that this job comes with a never ending supply of Foster's beer and Vegemite sandwiches. If not, then well....yeah, I'm still in.

...Australians don't drink Fosters...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    This reminds me of that movie where everyone wants to get to The Island. But there's a twist!
  • Kizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A free sixth month holiday? I'm so there! Unlikely the winner will be an Aussie though.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    This reminds me of that movie where everyone wants to get to The Island. But there's a twist!

lol