Home General Discussion

problems with making disney's sleeping beauty castle in 3D?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
elementrix polycounter lvl 15
Hello there,

For my next project I had the idea to recreate the sleeping beauty castle from Disneyland Paris

this one:
http://www.disneyfrontier.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/disneyland_paris_castle.jpg

however someone warned me that I might not be able to show it in public and (maybe use for my portfolio)

Is it true that Disney doesn't like it when someone re-creates this castle? I really want to make it but if I'm not allowed to show it due to copyright laws or anything related it's of course less fun.

What do you think?

Replies

• dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    maybe you should try using the castle that disney originally based the design off ;)
    neuschwanstein.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=neuschwanstein&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

http://www.sa-bri-na.de/media/pictures/German%20Alpine%20Road/CastleNeuschwanstein.jpg

oh and apparently a few others:

Cinderella Castle was inspired by several French castles, most notably Ch
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, however the project (it is a given project) is to make an existing building within it's surrounding/set.

Considering the sleeping beauty castle in Disneyland is already some kind of "set" and because I totally LOVE that building I thought it would be the perfect one to make.

Of course I could "create my own castle" but the project is to re-create an existing one.

My only question is if It would be problematic considering it's one of the main icons of Disney.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix wrote: »
    My only question is if It would be problematic considering it's one of the main icons of Disney.

My wife is an elementary teacher, and they cannot play Disney movies in class without written permission from Disney...Or they buy license. Disney is stickler about their copyright stuff...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    yeah but isn't this non-commercial fan art? i think so long as you give proper credit it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    My wife is an elementary teacher, and they cannot play Disney movies in class without written permission from Disney...Or they buy license. Disney is stickler about their copyright stuff...

What? How the hell can't you show a movie in an education based environment. I can see parents permission but using Disneys? If you own the movie as you purchased it I don't see how or why you couldn't show it legally.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also considering there is even a disney castle 3D model for sale on turbosquid..

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/276219

I guess it's OK as long as I give credit to Disney for the building and use it only to show and not make any money with?

(BTW I also heard a story that teachers couldn't draw a mickey mouse on a class window without permission xD?)
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    If you are worried about it, just make Neuschwanstein Castle as mentioned above. It is a real castle.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What? How the hell can't you show a movie in an education based environment. I can see parents permission but using Disneys? If you own the movie as you purchased it I don't see how or why you couldn't show it legally.

Dunno if you ever read that copyright text etc. at the start of DVDs and videos, but the vast majority of the time they say "only for personal use", they're generally not legally meant to be used in public places without permission, and schools are public places (another one it always says that I found odd, was you're not allowed to show them on oil rigs...)
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Disney can say that. You don't own the movie, and no home video products are licensed for public exhibition. They are for private home viewing only. (Did you zone out during the legal screen during the last 75,000 movies you watched?)

And as for educational use, materials are licensed for educational use too, at their own choice.

It's up to the rights holder.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as its fan art, and you don't try to make any money off it, I don't see an issue. Technically you're in a gray area and more then likely something won't happen, but it could. there could be a slight problem with using it in a portfolio...
    I'm sure if you contact the PR dept of every distributor they would say the same thing. Legally they can't change the license over the phone from private to public. In the districts my mom has worked in, each school has a library of movies that has been cleared legally and by the PTA.

There is a difference with all movies between private viewing, public and educational. More then likely some teacher showed something the parents didn't like and the PTA invoked the holy power of the fed. Now the school has to CYA with every movie...

EDIT: opps looks like everyone already covered that.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think schools really care, Disney can't tell if they showed it to the kids, and I doubt the 6yr old kids are gonna care either.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I would put it in. Just say it's based off the Disney's castle. Just don't try to say you designed it too.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    I would put it in. Just say it's based off the Disney's castle. Just don't try to say you designed it too.

haha I won't do that :D
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

Claim: Disney forced the removal of murals featuring their cartoon figures from the walls of three Florida day care centers.

...be removed for valid business reasons: infringements must be fought in order to keep trademarks intact;
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    disney also sued a childrens play based off a childrens book called gummi-tarzan, because they had registered tarzan as a trademark.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhh well Fuck Disney...

Yeah I know what it says at the start of dvds but it also says do not duplicate and I know you guys have at least 1 copied dvd in your collection.

Honestly Disney is filled with a bunch of pompus asses and would probably be total dicks about something like this.

So why not make something else?
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to make it, I don't care if I can't use it. It's for learning purposes after all. and a portfolio piece WOULD be nice but I still have four years before I want to get a job so screw them.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix wrote: »
    I decided to make it, I don't care if I can't use it. It's for learning purposes after all. and a portfolio piece WOULD be nice but I still have four years before I want to get a job so screw them.

That's the spirit!