Home General Discussion

If you're buying art books in London...

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Check out Foyle's, the big bookstore on Charing Cross Road!

They've got pretty much the entire range of Ballistic Publishing books (D'Artiste series, Expos

Replies

• ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    This may seem really stupid but I tihnk that the library is overlooked as a refrence location. If your looking for anatomy or just about anything your local (a relativley big one) one is bound to have alot of books on it. Milton Keynes library is a brillant place for this type of thing, I have found bridgman books loomis books etc saving me alot of money.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks MoP,

Not heard of Foyles before, will check them out.

I believe Ballistic Publishing are going to release a book of Massive Black's artwork. Wouldn't mind getting hold of that one.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, we were in and saw the sign saying £5 off, Tully went to check to see if they had the Massive Black one, but it's not out yet :)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    not out until the 13th :( and nice find, cheaper than amazon
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Got to see a sneak peek of the book at the MB/CA.org workshop in NZ. Its pretty sweet and will definitely be picking up a copy.

-caseyjones
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Nice find, will have to go check it out sometime this week :) Ye that massive black book looks like it's going to be awesome.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »

I wasn't even aware that you could buy those books anywhere other than from the Ballistic website.

Forbidden Planet do quite a few of them, but tend to stick an extra £5 on every one (much like everything else in FP).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just went back today, they have the Massive Black art book in now! A snip at £42... ouch. But worth it.
    I also noticed they have pretty much the full range of Gnomon DVDs, and just about every 3d app/design/art/programming reference and tutorial book under the sun.

I have to restrain myself in there, otherwise I'd walk out with about 20 books and stuff, and bankrupt myself in the process...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mm might pop in there. sounds good. there used to be a forbidden planet near there, but it closed a while back. shame really
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome that you guys have something like that there..as far as I know we don't have a huge bookstore that carries the things your listed. Or not in the area that I am at:(, ahh well that would probably bankrupt me as well if there was....so maybe its a good thing.

Spark
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz wrote: »
    mm might pop in there. sounds good. there used to be a forbidden planet near there, but it closed a while back. shame really

Well, Forbidden Planet isn't too far from there, it's just down Shaftesbury Avenue I think, and across the street. Don't know the street name exactly but it's only about a 5 minute walk!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok cheers Mop, didn't know it had moved there. Need to get some 3d figures for reference.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Went in today, really awesome. Picked up a couple of books! The massive black volume one is now there as well, also to the right of all the ballistic stuff's is a big collection of the Gnomon dvd's.

Ah, the Zavi close to Foyles it is closing down I tihnk, there was 25% off all games / dvd's / blue rays.

Needless to say, my wallet is now a fair bit lighter