Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Joe Fortin

Hey Guys and gals. I just finished the first version of my demo reel and website. Mind giving me some feedback?

www.joefortin.com

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=39516

Watermarks no reason to use them, and it takes away from your work. Most folks will tell ya NO ANIME IN YOUR DEMO REEL OR WEBSITE. Unless you are going for a position in Anime, it may just get your worked put into a pile of one hundred million other folks submissions.

I didn't see any polycounts, texture sheets in your work on the demo reel.

Unfinished work in demo reel, why put it in there at all.

You need to pick something and focus it towards that. You have 2d, 3d, animation, you look to be better at 2d, so you need to pick a direction and stick with it.

Animations look a bit clunky.

I personally don't like the hover over an image concept, but it works fine enough.

Need more texture sheets and wireframes so we can see how you used those polycounts on the images.

Too much bloom on your 'rendering techniques' image can't tell if it's a gun or a sword.

Good luck, might be a little harsh but it's a decent go at it.

Is this all school work?
  • Xenocidex11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was. Currently i am working on some of my best stuff yet
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    also if you go to your site, click on 2d/3d art the site works and goes to page Art02.html, if you click on 2D & 3D Art at the bottom it takes you to Art.html and none of the hover image tricks work so people cannot view your site.

The same link pointing to art.html which is wrong on every one of your pages other then the demo reel page.

Keep it up though, you've definitely picked up the basics and looking forward to seeing the new stuff.
  • Xenocidex11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0_0 Thanks! i would have never caught that ha ha
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Heh, I like that jeep.
  • Xenocidex11
  • Hebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree, pick a discipline and stick to showcasing that on your reel.
    Since this is polycount i assume modeling/texturing is what you ultimately want to show on your reel, take out your animations (all), keep your drawings (all of them) at the end or right before their corresponding 3d model and just show a quick shot of them , no need to pan over the image.
    Alocate more screen time to the models, show polycounts , texture flats etc.
    Good luck with your reel,
  • Xenocidex11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hebs. The advice is great. I am currently working on the second version of it and i was planning on taking out the animations, they were only in there because we needed them on our demo reels as part of the portfolio class. What do you think of the Drawing Hebs?
  • Hebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the drawings actually, they have a certain style which i find very appealing and they are nicely cleaned up and inked which makes them very suitable to compliment your 3d work.
    Get your models right up front and make sure they are the focus, everything else is there just to make you that much better of a candidate.
  • Xenocidex11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any other opinions?