Home Technical Talk

Using modifier "Symmetry" doesn't work? D: 3DS Max 8

I'm following a tutorial that came with 3ds max 8. In the tutorial it had me create the seen, then use XForm modifier in the utilities. After doing this I hit modifier, symmetry, and well, I get this.

split.jpg

When I hit flip, instead of flipping it to be another leg, it becomes this:

flip2.jpg

Any reason for this?

Replies

• gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Try using the gizmo to move the mirror plane. You can active it by expanding the modifier in the stack, and activating 'Mirror'.
  • Kaination
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I select mirror, I don't see any options to 'activate' it.

lolwut3.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the pivot point should be at the center of the groin and perhaps you should add an Xform

modifier then collapse the stack

Your pivot point seems to be centered on the right leg right now
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things that show up in yellow in the modifier stack, are activated. As long as its yellow you can click the move gizmo in the viewport and move the mirror plane where you want. You can do the same thing to most modifier gizmos like UnwrapUVW, bend, twist ect...

It centers the mirror plane at the objects axis. You can either do like gamedev suggested and manually move the gizmo each time you apply symmetry and eyeball the pivot of each object you create, or attach/detach everything to your main mesh.

Since both of those can be imprecise and time consuming I suggest you set a master pivot point on your main object and snap all other pivots to it so they all mirror at exactly the same place.

To move just the pivot of an object:

Hierarchy tab > Pivot > Affect Pivot Only > Slide it to the center point of your ref > Turn off, Affect Pivot Only

To snap the pivot of one object to another:
    Click New Object > Hierarchy tab > Pivot > Affect Pivot Only > Quick Align (Shift-A) > Click Master Object > Turn off, Affect Pivot Only

Now for each new object you create that you wish to mirror, you just turn on Affect Pivot Only, Shift-A, click and its done.
  • Kaination
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhhh thank you so much

i didn't know there was a pivot point.

you saved me alot of trouble <3

/continues working