Home General Discussion

UGO Buys 1UP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
http://kotaku.com/5125034/mass-firings-at-1up-after-sale

Nooooooo! (shakes fist violently at the sky)

Tragedy! The latest series of game industry layoffs has struck not the development community, but the enthusiast press. The 1UP network has been bought out by UGO. (which I believe is owned by the Hearst Corporation) As part of this acquisition, it has been confirmed that EGM, the longest-running multi-platform print magazine about games, is being discontinued. The recently released January issue will be its last.

Perhaps even more distressing, current internet scuttlebutt is that a surprising number of the 1UP network staff is also being let go. In fact, the current names being mentioned comprise most of the personalities that have helped to make the site popular. Although we have yet to hear official confirmation on who is getting the ax, the news is coming from personal twitter feeds and NeoGaf posts by the involved parties. There is little doubt remaining. My personal condolences go out to these individuals who have provided the game community with so much entertaining coverage and original material. The 1UP network podcasts have always been my favorites. I only hope they all find rewarding employment at companies that will better appreciate and reward their unique talents.

Where will it end?

Replies