Home General Discussion

F*** Gold's Gym (rant)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
My fellow dudes... I'm pissed so my thoughts are clouded, but I got to vent somehow.

Stay the fuck away from Gold's Gym, I beg you. I am currently getting fucked by them and their financial company ABC Financial.

I signed up for a membership, in Massachusetts with some fellow co-workers for what I thought was a year, on Sept 1st 2007. It was a work special. I used it for 3 days.

A few months down the road, I move back to Arizona. I talk to the dudes at the gym, and they tell me I have to "write corporate" and gave me all the info I needed.

The cancellation process is obviously made purposely troublesome. You don't have to read it, just know it sucks when all that really is necessary in a humane world is, "I no longer wish to use your service, I'd like to cancel it."
Cancellation due to Moving:

¨ You must move your residence 25 miles or more from club facility or any affiliate.

¨ You must provide sufficient proof that you are moving. Please send in one of the following:

Ø New lease agreement in the member’s name signed by member and lessor.

Ø New utility hook up or utility bill in member’s name.

Ø Newly issued driver’s license.

Ø Copy of a one way international plane ticket with a copy of a visa or green card.

Ø PCS orders (boot camp and basic training not accepted).

Ø Letter from new employer (must be on letterhead), along with a copy of a pay stub.

Ø Closing papers on a purchase of a new home.

Ø Students—must send in a copy of a class schedule and tuition receipt (must be on letterhead).

¨ If you can not provide one of the above, you can send in TWO of the following:

Ø Current bank statement.

Ø Current major credit card statement.

Ø Post office change of address confirmation letter.

¨ Written notice of cancellation is required 30 prior to your next bill date. You are still responsible for any payments that fall within the 30 day period from the date ABC Financial Services, Inc. receives the sufficient proof of move.

¨ There is an early termination fee. Please refer to agreement to verify amount.

¨ Payments will continue on the membership agreement until the sufficient proof of move is received.

The "agreed termination fee" is $99. Fuck me, that's 4 months of food (I'm currently in college spending mode)

The active-types that would actually go through the tedious pain of canceling a membership responsibly wouldn't want to cancel, they're in the gym, paying their membership. The slags of meat like me, are trapped by their own laziness, also paying their membership. It's genius, really. Evilly genius.

So rather than doing all that bullshit, I put it off for its entirety. $19.99 a month.

A year rolls around and I'm thinking I'll finally be free of the bullshit, I get another charge! The meter was still on! Turn it the fuck off! Pissed, and recently let go from my job, I email ABC Financial asking what the deal is and gave them the skinny, they were dipping into my mac & cheese funds, the cunts. Turns out I signed up for 2 years. Huh? I'm still extremely skeptical about that, but, unfortunate for me, I can't find my copy of my contract. Even if I did, I bet it be on there... I just don't remember it that way, ugh.

So, I'm like fine, whatever, fuck the scumbags, I hope they choke on a dick. And continued to put it off.

I just checked my account again and, wtf, the membership fee has just gone from 19.99 up to $44.99!? ... I guess I upgraded my membership or something or maybe it does that after a year in. It's probably in the fine print somewhere. I haven't heard back yet, I just took a huge shit in an email and sent it off to ABC MothaFuggas, Inc. I'm still working on figuring out what the fuck is going on with my situation and fixing it.

I just wanted to warn you about this shitty unethical companies and Misery loves company!
Join me in flipping the bird to Gold's Gym and ABC Financial leaches.

*straightens tie*

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Man... I heard about that sh!t they pull at fitness centers with making people sign up for contracts. Never seen it in action till now.

Sorry man. The best I cant think of is spend that money you would have sent to them for the rest of the year on a lawyer who can write up a nice cease and desist letter to them.

That or they need to fax you a copy of your contract that you signed.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes sir, that place and most fitness centers are a scam. Keep your member ship fee, clean off a spot on the floor and start doing squats and pushups. Unless you're serious about weightlifting then find a local hardcore gym.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Nice. Makes me really glad my gym has no contract. Might wanna get a copy of the agreement just so you can see what else you "signed up" for. Perhaps they get a portion of your future earnings, rights to any cooking recipes you come up with, as well as weekend privileges to your car at some point.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ugh. I still have my membership. Haven't checked my bills on it in a bit, i hope mine didn't jump up as well.

Pretty sure Arthur still has his, as well... :poly127:
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Wonder how much these guys make a year from people who join after the new year due to overweight guilt,get suckered in to crap contrat and then ignore they membership while the gym rapes them financially.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I was a member of Planet Fitness a couple years ago, for $10 a month. I was getting in great shape. Then New Years rolled around and all the fat fucks crowded the place. I'd have to wait in line for a treadmill or any machine. There was several months where I didn't go, and they still got paid. When I quit, it was as simple as walking in, telling them I was quitting, filling out a sheet of paper, and signing.

If you can't find your original contract, or the gym won't send you a copy, you're probably SOL. Get a file cabinet (they make small cardboard boxes), to hold folders of your important paperwork. If nothing can be done for this, at least share your story with the world, so more people can avoid the place.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah, thats how most large gyms operate i'd be interested to see just how many people pay the fees for the remainder of their "contract" because its just impossible to cancel.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    only option is to GET FUCKIN RIPPED
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    To cancel your 1-year, you have to let them know 30 days before the final 12th month billing period.

In a case like this I would call Wells Fargo or whoever your bank is that they are deducting from. WF would suspend any further charges if you complain enough. Then in the meantime contact the BBB and fill out their online form. It actually works and all I did was fill out the online form and I was contacted by no one. They worked to help me get out of continuing to make payments to some web.com hosting crap when they were being difficult to cancel. http://welcome.bbb.org/

Explain you are sure you signed up for 1-year and not 2. In the meantime see if you can get a copy of what you originally signed just to make it interesting and see if Gold's will be helpful with that or not.

There are ways to get out of things like this if you make enough noise and cry "victim" enough.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Capitalism is a bitch, wear a helmet!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    you want to go in there and mix up their steroids with arsenic solution...
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    override one of their rules constantly, walk around without a shirt and touch as many equipment as you can with your sweaty body ;)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    can't you just cancel your direct debit and then argue it from there?

Also I recommend that you ask for a copy of your contract with them, so you can check out the fine print.

I suppose if you have agreed to all sorts of stuff, then its difficult to argue, but I would certainly

checking out where I stand legally first.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    how the hell are you eating on 25 a month???
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    as kwakkie said dont quit get thrown out (much cooler, and you gain more rep points). I would recomend doing it borat style or something similar and do some pelvic thrusts into peoples faces:).
    Seriously though they wouldnt know what to do-they want your money but lots of people have complained, they would have to cancel your contract perfect!

maybe ask a lawyer about this before doing is dont want harassment charges now do we!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    yea when I was studying I was spending around £100/month on food, how on earth you manage to do $25/month is crazy.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I spend about 25 every 3 days...
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    At 15c apiece you could still eat five ramen every day.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    fuck that makes me angry. isn't that illegal? can't you get the cops? that's bullshit! that's totally unreasonable.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    My question is, are you loosing weight by just eating ramen?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    we could start a fund. does everyone have paypal?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie wrote: »
    override one of their rules constantly, walk around without a shirt and touch as many equipment as you can with your sweaty body ;)

While ur at it, take a shit in bathrroom's garbage can, even better if it's staff bathroom.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    When I was in Uni I lived on £5 a month and it wasnt all that unhealthy, tinned sardines/tuna are dirt cheap, rice beans bread. it workedI was healthier too now I spend about £100 a week on food and Im fat and lazy...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 wrote: »
    Wonder how much these guys make a year from people who join after the new year due to overweight guilt,get suckered in to crap contrat and then ignore they membership while the gym rapes them financially.
    That's probably why the contracts are as fucked up as they are...

Damn that sucks. There has to be a way out of it if you loose your job. Seriously!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, fuck golds gym man. They are SNAKES.

-Buddikaman
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    First, ask them to provide a copy of your agreement. Who cares that you don't have one; they should be able to prove to you that your signature exists on a document. Second, most of their agreements are nullified if you move and another gym doesn't exist in your area. Is one near you? If not, it should be cancelled without fees.

Finally, contact the attorney general if they can't provide you with a contract. Every attorney general's office has a consumer protection division who will attempt to protect you.

If not, then I'd bite the bullet and pay the $99. It may be tough, but it's cheaper than $44/mo and saves your credit.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, do what Ruz said and cancel it from the bank I guess. Especially since it sounds like some of their cancel requirements are barely legal things to ask...

Just make sure you also send a letter with receipt stating you cancelled. Should be enough right?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Heh, kind of the opposite of what I just went through. Last month my gym had a notice saying it would be closed for a friday afternoon, then I try to go monday but there's a letter on the door saying the club had closed down due to rent issues for this location and to just go to the nearest club about 10 miles away. Then I hear Bally's as a whole is shutting down everywhere, google it and I see this;

http://www.fitnessbusinessnews.com/index.php?p=article&id=fb200709wVaPJa

Kind of odd they didn't keep their members better informed, but it was also super cheap (I paid $100 for a full year!) and they didn't have a bunch of bullshit hoops to jump thru if you wanted to quit, one time I moved away and a quick phonecall was all that was needed to cancel my membership, and they gave me discounts when I returned. But now Ballys is bankrupt while the places that scam people stay in business, pretty fucked up.

And $25 for food a month, INSANE.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Yes! I feel much better. Using their equipment naked and shitting in their garbage cans is hilarious, thanks!

I'll find my contract, it has to be in my papers somewhere. Asking them for a copy is a great idea. I was just pissed yesterday.

I'll try to meet their requirements and mail them what they need so I can cancel my membership.

My bank does allow a black list request to companies other than affiliates, usually government and credit card companies, and they will deny payment to them. Doing so wouldn't change the fact I am contractually obligated to pay and Gold's could potentially take legal action against me for refusing to pay.
    we charged you an additional $25 for the yearly maintenance fee of the club. This fee is collected on the first of each year and is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the facility.

So... figured that shit out. It was a one time charge.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    we charged you an additional $25 for the yearly maintenance fee of the club. This fee is collected on the first of each year and is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the facility.
    Heh.. and the regular monthly fee is used for what.. wiping their asses with? Seriously, everyone should just find gyms run by non-profit organisations, and put these for-profit gyms out of business.

The best, friendliest, and tidiest gyms I've ever frequented are those here in Sweden run by the non-profit organisation Friskis & Svettis.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Hey dudes don't forget that ILE paid for 50% of our gym membership and now that they are no longer around that COULD be the reason why the price hiked up.
    Sectaurs you might want to ask Jeff about that.
    B
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Man, cory..that sucks.

Gold's is awful. Not only did I have a similar experience to Cory, but I'm fairly certain ABC sold off my name to less-than-legal SPAM phone solicitors. And I didn't even want to cancel my gym membership, I was just late on payments because of incorrect billing information!
  • Hebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god i hate gyms, everytime i walk into one to sign up its always some meathead low i.q douche in a stretchy shirt telling me to sign up on contract because id be dumb not to.
    I am currently on some b.s contract with fitness world luckily its cheap because of a corporate discount otherwise id tell them where to go, a gym should be like any other place of recreation but they have turned it into a critical decision now with credit checks and signup fees and the like, i want to work out the extra weight not buy dam car insurance!.