Home General Discussion

I'm a proud parent....

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
of a new years baby lager!
brew_kit01.jpg
He should be ready on Feb 13th... Friday the 13th!

Hahah, yeah, I was considering ringing in the the new year with another "RIP Matabus" thread but that's just nasty.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha, sweet shit man. Make sure to let us know how this turns out. I love beer, and I'm interested to know how the home brew stuff goes. ;)
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Hah! Have been so inactive no one would have noticed a RIP Matabus thread anywho.
    You HAVE to let me try this when it's ready, BTW.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now thats awesome! :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome! What kind? Is it a kit?

I go to a local Brew-your-own-beer pub with some friends about 2 times a year. I've thought about making it at home but it's crazy fun to hang out, brew and "sample" everyone's beer on bottling day and there is always someone there bottling...

so yea, awesome stuff you're doing, if it bombs keep at it, you'll get the hang of it. It's kind of cool adding your own personal touches and seeing how they pan out.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    oh fuck u brewed that yourself?! iv always dreamt of brewing my on...brew....damn, im jelous now! awesome :D

edit: oh you have to come up with a name for it too! ala Benders LöBrau
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    you sicko you mashed up your new baby and used it to make beer!!!!!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Man thats cool,but not bender beer brewer cool.

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/bender/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha JO420, I read all that on how he made the bender brewer, thing is fricken cool.

Has anyone brewed their own beer here? How does it taste?
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Where is SkepticalNate when you need him.....

He's been supplying the SVS offices with tasty homebrew experiments over the past few months. The first one was especially tasty and one bottle gave us with a pretty nice buzz(I believe that his beers secretly contain magic...or crack). Always looking forward to the next batch.

Good luck with the brewing.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those interested:
    www.makebeer.net

It's pretty easy, it's the beginner's way to do it, you just pout in a can of malt/hops syrup, add dextrose, fill the rest of the way with cold water and when it's the right temp, then toss in the yeast and seal.

I'll use a beer kit again for my next batch but I'll follow the methods here to improve it:
    Improving Your Kit

How to Brew - By John Palmer
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome! Another beer brewer.

Me and my roomate currently have 15 gallons of beer in our closet, 3 different beers. Ones a cranberry IPA and the other is an orange honey beer (very tasty) which are both still fermenting.

The third (which is bottled already) was a failed holiday beer which we used a smoked grain and replaced some hops with spruce. And then added cinnamon and nutmeg. Was an absolute disaster, the smoked grains gave it a nasty cooked meat after taste. (anyone want 50 free bottles of meat beer? :p) Good times though and Its alot of fun to experiment. I highly recommend everyone to get into this hobby.

After you get the kit, its $50 for 50 beers, not bad if you ask me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gahh... meat beer... I'm not sure if all failed experiments come out with a meaty after taste or not, but I had a batch go meaty. It's after taste was that of meat that had been smoked in burning tires.

I blamed the chocolate and mint leaves we thought would also make a good holiday brew. Luckily we didn't have to take it home, Dennis (brew pub owner) has a rule about not leaving with nasty beer and gave us a batch (140 bottles) of some stuff that tasted a lot like a Russian Imperial Stout. It was a mystery brew he cooked up but didn't write down the recipe. Next time around we tried to duplicate it, and came pretty close...

Yea, beer brewing, awesome hobby everyone should do it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to give this a shot for a faux oak barrel aged beer, heck maybe even soak the beans in bourbon before hand.

Oak Beans:
    "If you want to go the extra-authentic route and add some wood barrel character, a good way to go is with small oak "beans" sold to wineries to revive tired barrels. These are sold in several woods and degrees of toast by a company called Stavin (http://www.stavin.com). I would stay away from the American oak, as it's very sharp and pungent, and will overwhelm a beer pretty quickly. Just add a small handful of these during the extended secondary. "
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    coool thanks for the links justin.

skeptical nate: meat beer eh.....intriguing in a cannibalistic kinda way. sounds like quite the concoctions you have brewing.