Home Technical Talk

Unreal Editor 3 problem

A-Train
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
A-Train polycounter lvl 15
Messing around with Unreal Editor 3 and I came across a few problems.
Here's an example of what happened. Any ideas? It's the exact same scene imported into UE3. As you can see, it flips my UVs.

3dsmax
Max.jpg

Unreal Editor 3
U3E.jpg[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xp_5Vf6lSqI/SWEMULiR2pI/AAAAAAAAAYU/9W_dVeqDhcs/s1600/U3E.jpg[IMG\] On another note, it would also make a texture appear on entirely different objects that had seperate UV channels assigned in 3ds Max! Couldn't figure out a work around for that :( Unfortunately it's also a pain, because with a large scene, if you go into 3ds Max and fix something then re-import the Mesh into UE3 you have to plug in all of your materials into the slots again. Anyone have a tutorial on the procedure from scratch? Either that or any info at all concerning some of the problems that I've had? Thanks![/img]

Replies

• SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never had a problem with UV flipping in UE so I can't think of anything to help you there, but the other stuff I can throw a bit of info your way for.

If you want to use multiple materials then in Max make sure to assign them to different material ID's on your mesh, then when you apply the multi/sub-object material give them the corresponding texture ID from your material list (this doesn't make a difference to Unreal, but you need to have a texture of some sort applied to each material otherwise UEd throws the dolly out of the pram).

When you then import to UEd, find LODInfo in the mesh properties browser for your level mesh, and keep opening the drop-downs until you a material array. Assuming you've already got your materials sorted out just plonk the material references into the corresponding ID's, remembering that UEd starts counting from 0, not 1 like Max.

That sounds quite long winded; I can clarify if anything is unclear.

The other thing, if you import your mesh and give it the exact same name as the mesh you already have in your package then it will overwrite the old one and take all the setup info you had assigned to it, e.g. the materials.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    A-Train wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's also a pain, because with a large scene, if you go into 3ds Max and fix something then re-import the Mesh into UE3 you have to plug in all of your materials into the slots again. Anyone have a tutorial on the procedure from scratch? Either that or any info at all concerning some of the problems that I've had? Thanks!

If you just manually re-import your mesh in the generic browser with the same name as your older mesh, I think the materials stick with it under the LOD material settings.

I can't remember if you have to also go into the static mesh properties in your scene and request it switch to the new selected mesh in the generic browser or not...but I don't remember this being as big of a pain as you just described.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnarG thanks, that was pretty much info I knew already (sorry if my earlier post confused you). I know about setting up the multi-subs in max and setting up LODinfo in Unreal Ed. I've basically assinged most of my materials to the scene. I ran into the flipping UV problem, and also ran into a huge problem which is multiple objects sharing the same texture but they have different ID channels assigned in 3ds Max...which is obviously a problem! Because that's not supposed to happen!

Junkie_XL thanks as well. I think you're right, if I re-import the mesh with the same name it retains the materials...so no biggie there, but these other 2 problems are absolutely ridiculous. Not sure what to do to fix them.
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran into the flipping UV problem, and also ran into a huge problem which is multiple objects sharing the same texture but they have different ID channels assigned in 3ds Max...

Do you mean material ID's or map channel by this?

Do you have the same number of material slots in UEd after the import as you do in Max?
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Do you mean material ID's or map channel by this?

Do you have the same number of material slots in UEd after the import as you do in Max?"

What I mean is that I have an oil drum and a concrete platform that are seperate objects and have seperate map channels applied to them in 3ds max with seperate textures. In Unreal Editor, they both appear with the Oil drum texture. If I switch the Oil drum texture to something else, both the oil drums and the concrete platform will switch to that new texture (this is a huge problem, as both objects should have seperate textures showing).

I'll take a look at my Unreal Editor scene and compare it to my Max one, and get back to you on that, gimme a few minutes.

PS is it a huge deal if my multi-sub object were to have 1 or 2 blank materials? Is that what's causing the problem in Unreal. I really don't know what the exact problem is, I can't put my finger on it.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm interesting...

3ds Max is Materials 1 to 62
    Unreal Editor is Materials 0 to 60

Is this causing the problem? Thanks.
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I mean is that I have an oil drum and a concrete platform that are seperate objects and have seperate map channels applied to them in 3ds max with seperate textures.

This is probably your problem. I take it you're exporting these together with an 'export selected' operation. If this is the case then these objects need to have the same 'map channel' but different 'material ID's'.

When you import them UEd treats them as a single object and is trying to apply the materials based on map channel 1 (or 0 in UEd's case). You can give the two objects different UV's but they must both be on map channel 1.

That's a lot of materials to be applying to a single mesh! Not good for optimisation. But if the materials are more or less showing up then it should pinpoint to the problem above because you should still be able to change the materials around.

Blank materials won't bother unreal - if there's no texture applied it won't even know it's there.

Try this and let me know if it works.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the scene that i'd like to get in Unreal Editor SnarG.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=884648&posted=1#post884648

I've also found something very odd that may be causing the texture cloning problem. In the LODinputs, I've found a material number 23 that is empty in Unreal. It's just an extra empty material that is there for no reason, I think it's causing all of the materials to be pushed down a number, therefore causing the last one in the list to share the first one in the lists texture.

Is there any way to delete a material number in the list in Unreal??

basically the end of the list is a texture called trash01_d and it is being overwritten by the first material in the list that's called dockPlatform_d

In my Unreal Static Mesh Editor both the trash geometry and the platform geometry are sharing 1 texture between the two of them and it's the dockPlatform_d texture.

Am I confusing you? Or does this make sense.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll finish channeling all of my materials, and then i'll take a screencap for you.
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The extra material has to be coming from somewhere on your Max model. It's likely that you've still got a poly somewhere on your mesh with an incorrect material ID, which could be causing it. Hunt around, check for hidden poly's or look for backfaces that you might have forgotten to cull, and if all else fails just re-ID your mesh from scratch.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnarG, thanks man. What's the totally insane part, is I already made a fresh Multi-Sub and re-ID'ed from scratch after I had run into the problem earlier on today. Real sad. I really would like to get this thing in the editor to light it.

I'll get back to the Max file and hunt around for it. Thanks!
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    I have a tutorial on the correct Max/UEd workflow if you want to run things over again to make sure you got it all correct : http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3modeling1.htm

Like said, 60 is too much anyhow. You are suppose to have as few material ids as you can per mesh.

Be very careful with things like empty submaterials in the multi subobject in Max. Also be very very carefully with cloning a material in Max, because it usually makes it keep the same name, and upon exporting/importing that duplicate name confuses Unreal. For that reason I dont clone materials anymore in Max.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences, nice man I'll have a look.