Home General Discussion

Artists and core game design

The process of making a game obviously involves the combined effort of many people specializing in different areas: asset creation, programming, game design/testing etc.

To what extent can someone who works on a different aspect of a game contribute to another area? For example I started primarily in core game design itself, learnt unrealed and max and am now fully focused on modeling and creating assets, however I am still very much interested in the game design itself.

What's your experience of contributing to areas of a game project (or any other CG related project) that are different from your own speciality? Is it quite common for artists to be making assets for a level design and then recommend alterations or even core gameplay changes? This extends to other areas too, maybe your a programmer who loves game design or a games tester who's also quite artistic etc.

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    "To what extent can someone who works on a different aspect of a game contribute to another area?"
    Your example, isn't an example... core game design?
    The answer I'd give to your question above, is that these boundaries depend on the studio and its people that you're working for.

"What's your experience of contributing to areas of a game project [...] that are different from your own specialty?"
    My experience leaves me to believe that an individual's roles can easily broaden into new areas and I feel they do so naturally so long as its allowed to.
    Give; Managers want you to be happy and allow you to grow in the direction you'd like to grow in. They will try their best to throw you a bone. They want to ensure the company's resources (you) are being efficiently used.
    Take; Circumstances may arrive where you will be needed to flex outside your normal means and delve into realms outside your area of expertise. It might involve objectionable assignments and roles, but that's the game your apart of.

"Is it quite common for artists to be making assets for a level design and then recommend alterations or even core gameplay changes?"
    This is very common and usually encouraged. You'll also receive your fair amount of suggestions and feedback regarding your work. Some feedback is more constructive some will make you wince, again, it's all apart of the game.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    In an ideal world you should be able to contribute ideas, suggestions and feedback on the game.

I've made suggestions that have been incorporated into the games I've worked on. The way I approached it was to outline why something didnt feel right to me and then explain a suggestion on how it could be improved. All the time I kept in mind the over all experience that the player was supposed to be experiencing - which is key.

Design, just like art take time to come together and can require a multitude of systems to be online and working in a complimentary way before all the individual parts become fun. If you give feedback with the bigger picture in mind and are sensitive to the goals of the design team you 'could' find them more receptive to your feedback.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your example, isn't an example... core game design?

By this I mean actual gameplay mechanics (for me this even goes back to making alternative systems for 'pure' games like D&D and board games) and extending to level design the flow of the level, item placement, theme, flow, puzzle design, weapon placement, enemy difficulty and tactics to beat them etc.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    As an environment artist at Raven I've had influences in level flow, item placement, puzzle design, enemy placement, etc. Basically if I honestly have a good idea for an aspect of a level, design or myself will implement it, within reason. I love it. One of my environment artist coworkers had an idea for a new enemy, people loved the idea and OK'd it. And he even got to highpoly the character.

But I'd imagine it ultimately has more to do with where you're working at, and what kind of team structure there is.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah as mentioned I think it has a lot to do with the company you are at and their uh, tolerance? on listening to those not in the specific discipline. I do env art but I'm not afraid to share my opinion, thoughts, and or ideas with the design team and they are usually very open to suggestion and critique (as they should be! imo). It's awesome to see something evolve as the project continues and I think as long as you are helping contribute in a positive way that isn't intrusive it should be alright.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    generally speaking, the smaller the team, the more weight your ideas will carry across the different disciplines.

at my current job, my opinion is actually sought out by the designers and programmers [which they regret immediately, I'm sure]
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    From past experiences it almost seems like the guys that have the actual job title of 'game designers' are the least innovating idea-generating-persons of the whole dev team, does anybody second me on this? I am just curious, because I have seen a lot of cool game ideas(both new game ideas or ideas for a game already in development)coming from both artists and programmers, but never the game designers.

I do respect the game designers though, Ive written and updated a GDD the past halfyear and it's incredibly boring work(even if the game you're working on is fun).
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie wrote: »
    From past experiences it almost seems like the guys that have the actual job title of 'game designers' are the least innovating idea-generating-persons of the whole dev team, does anybody second me on this? I am just curious, because I have seen a lot of cool game ideas(both new game ideas or ideas for a game already in development)coming from both artists and programmers, but never the game designers.

No I don't frankly. It's great to have ideas, they are the seeds great systems, art, etc. But like seeds, they are cheap and abundant in contrast to what they can become. It is the execution- the care and growing of those seeds that's the real hard work and the true test of merit of any good designer.

Game designers have to do a great deal of balancing between what they want to see happen and what they know is possible. It's resource management. Any designer who does otherwise and sits all day dreaming in an ivory tower is most likely unrealistic about what is possible with their project.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions I see with would-be designers in this industry; that there is little elbow grease involved.

That said, you may have had an unlucky run of dealing with bad designers in the past and that's a shame, but if not maybe look back and see that those designers were most likely wholly reliant on your efforts and the art and engineering teams to accomplish their own goals and thus perhaps the most realistic members of the team when it comes to ideas.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely agree with nitzmoff on that Kwakkie... I've maybe seen artists and programmers toss out more ideas than designers, but ideas are cheap and mostly meaningless unless they are thought out more thoroughly. I think you may see designers as having less creativity because they may tend to work out an idea from more angles before presenting it. That's in my experience atleast.

As to the original post... Personally I've worked on Environment Art, Level Design, Game Design, Scripting/Coding, and Technical Art all in the past month of work. There are several other people here who wear multiple hats as well. I don't know if that's a good representation of the whole industry, but yea, I definitely would say that it is very possible to multiple disiplines, though I'd imagine it'd also depend on the company. (I wouldn't suggest doing too many things though, I can't freakin wait until some new hires start so they can take some of this junk off my plate. :P)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Nitz and Tulkamir on this one about the creativity thing, but if i could derail a tiny bit, i think this whole topic is a bit wacky.

what this industry needs is directors - a single person to unify all the components. right now having things split into different departments is totally crazy. look at halo 3..

i played it for quite a while before i actually stopped and looked at the environment i was in.. and found there was a whole backstory, etc etc. you can't be aware of that when you play, or you lose. same thing for detailed RTS games like company of heroes. if you actually match the focus that the art department has, you'll get your ass handed to you.

art should support gameplay. right now we've got systems where a bunch of different departments are all working away doing their thing and the detail in the art almost never matches the gameplay.

so yeah. to get back to the question, we need a better understanding of working accross the disaplines.. because at the end of the day, it's all about the user's experience. the components need to be congruent..