Home General Discussion

High School Senior Project :P

I am currently a junior in High School. Next year, as a requirement for graduation, we have to complete an independent project. Some examples of past projects are internships, job shadows and community service. The only real requirement for the project is choose something potentially related to the career path you see yourself following after college (assuming you go to college).

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do for my project for a little over a year now. I have come to the conclusion that I want to do something related to my passion for video game art. I also want to come out of the project feeling that I'm closer to my goal of become an Environment Artist. The only problem with this is that you can't just "walk into" a game development company for a tour.

My first idea for my senior project is to shadow an Environment Artist. This way I can gather information on what it is like and to better understand their role in the development of a game. Logistically speaking, this would probably be very hard to put together but I think that it make the best use of the opportunity I have.

My other idea is GDC '10, the only problem being it doesn't take place during the summer. It is in February and I would probably have to miss a couple days of school. February is also on the later end of when people complete their projects. It is possible but at the moment I would like to refer to it as a backup plan.

A good portion of students opt to complete this project during the summer prior to their senior year. This gives them more time in which to do it and does not take away from the school year or smaller vacation times. I would like to do mine next summer, thus my writing about it so early.

Like I said before, I've been thinking about this for a long time. The two ideas that I just talked about are the best I can come up with at the moment. If anyone has advice or ideas about what I can do, please please please reply to this thread. I really want to make the most of this opportunity and maybe some of you can help me.

Thanks.
Talbot

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Lots of companies offer an internship that you could possibly take advantage of. Just don't get stuck doing Admin. Assistance stuff (making coffee, running errands) and make it clear you'd like to work with an art there 1 day a week for a few hours to better understand the job.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'd stay away from GDC, maybe it's just me but GDC seems more like networking doesn't look like much art related classes there as of yet this year.. I went to AGDC recently and there wasn't much anything art related.. you maybe better off going to something like Siggraph.

Yeah, I'd start pinging a few local companies in your area and see about interning like Adam said.
  • EarthQuake
    I would start contacting some local companies, and asking about doing a short job shadow. I think that would be the easiest thing to get into. Maybe even think of getting a portfolio prepared, and showing up at a local studio to show them that you are serious about it. Now that may be a bad idea, it could backfire and i wouldn't do it to a large company, but if you could find a local, small indie type developer it might be worth doing.

I'm guessing a requirement is to actually work with people in a relevant industry? You couldn't just take some time on your own, and do something like try to whip up a working level in unreal or something like that? Hell joining a mod and doing some work in that capacity may even be an option.
  • Talbot
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I would start contacting some local companies, and asking about doing a short job shadow. I think that would be the easiest thing to get into. Maybe even think of getting a portfolio prepared, and showing up at a local studio to show them that you are serious about it. Now that may be a bad idea, it could backfire and i wouldn't do it to a large company, but if you could find a local, small indie type developer it might be worth doing.

How should I be contacting them? Like by mailing letters to individual artists in a company, mailing a letter to the entire company, or email through the jobs address of a company (jobs@companyname.com) ?

Why would contacting a larger company backfire on me? I always had the thought that "it isn't likely, but it couldn't hurt to try".

Dekard: Don't you have to be invited to Siggraph? I just thought that at GDC I could walk around and just talk to developers (mainly trying to talk to artists) but I don't really know how many artists specifically were going to be there.

Thanks for the advice guys!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, Siggraph is open to all. It's like $45 for a membership, and you then get a discounted ticket price for the event as well.
  • Talbot
    Dekard wrote: »
    Nope, Siggraph is open to all. It's like $45 for a membership, and you then get a discounted ticket price for the event as well.

Sweet. I think I'll put that as my backup plan. It seems like there is a lot I could learn by going to Siggraph just by looking at the website. But obviously it is a ways away so they don't have everything completely planned out. Thanks. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, look into this if you might go:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/volunteers/index.php (If I recall I think they pick up your tab on the hotel room and pass you only pay for the plane ride)
  • Talbot
    Also, look into this if you might go:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/volunteers/index.php (If I recall I think they pick up your tab on the hotel room and pass you only pay for the plane ride)

It says that you have to be 18 or older... I'm going to be 8 days short of that mark. :P
  • EarthQuake
    Talbot wrote: »
    How should I be contacting them? Like by mailing letters to individual artists in a company, mailing a letter to the entire company, or email through the jobs address of a company (jobs@companyname.com) ?

Why would contacting a larger company backfire on me? I always had the thought that "it isn't likely, but it couldn't hurt to try".

Dekard: Don't you have to be invited to Siggraph? I just thought that at GDC I could walk around and just talk to developers (mainly trying to talk to artists) but I don't really know how many artists specifically were going to be there.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I would start by going to their website, finding out who you would contact if you were trying to apply for a job there, and contact them about job shadowing. I wouldn't go around contacting random artists and such, unless you already know them pretty well, in that case they could point you in the right direction.

As far larger companies and that, I just think with a smaller company you may be more likely to get a more.... "personal" response, i dont know, maybe it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know some larger companies like EA etc have internship programs you can sign up for.

Damn you for making me actually try to explain my random thoughts!
  • Talbot
    Thank you for the explanation... :)
  • Rob Galanakis
    I'd stay away from GDC, maybe it's just me but GDC seems more like networking doesn't look like much art related classes there as of yet this year.. I went to AGDC recently and there wasn't much anything art related.. you maybe better off going to something like Siggraph.

AGDC is pretty much online/casual games only, very little art/tech related (mostly design and business/production)... regular GDC is MUCH different and completely worthwhile to go for anyone in the industry.
  • Talbot
    I want to go to GDC but it isn't exactly the best time of year. But thanks for the information. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    So far I haven't seen much of anything geared towards artists class wise on the site for this years GDC only 3 sessions IIRC