Home General Discussion

A Short Visual History of Videogames

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has that guy even ever seen a sega console? He pronounces it see-gah, even though the console pronounced its name upon booting.
    It looks fun, though!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Has that guy even ever seen a sega console?

I'm guessing, no. Was probably before his time. Much like the many other important consoles he failed to mention. School project? FAIL for lack of research.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ely : not exactly *fail* for accurately modelling and rendering all these systems tho. It's not like this guy was unaware of the less popular ones. And he was not just putting together a mere slideshow to graduate in VideoGameHistory either...
  • rul119
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the other video about the nes controller coffe table is great too :D, i would buy one
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "then Nintendo release the game cube... and it... was... purple...."
    haha

thanks for posting! :)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I have at least 5 times more Playstation games than n64 games...Cooler? Matter of opinion. Video is pretty biased.

But my unbiased opinion aside, It's at least a well done video.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    Ely : not exactly *fail* for accurately modelling and rendering all these systems tho. It's not like this guy was unaware of the less popular ones. And he was not just putting together a mere slideshow to graduate in VideoGameHistory either...

Yeah, and even the pronounciation of SEGA wasn't really his fault, some other guy was the narator. Personally, I think it was pretty good, both graphics and editing wise.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still, if you get someone to narrate your stuff, and he consistently says 'nintendurrr' and 'ata ri' ;)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i think the pronunciation was part of the old-timey character narrating it - by design.

i thought it was a pretty good, simplistic look at things. systems were well made.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea, the mispronunciations were obviously due to the cliche early-20th-century newsreel voice he was trying to do. The voice acting was sub-par, and the content was pretty meaningless and uninformative, but I don't think that was the point of the exercise. Visually, I think it was very well done.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha fun little video, did the Atari ET game really cause the biz to crash until the NES tho!?!?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamcast came out before the PS2! But I guess it's good for a short history course for the uninformed.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Though the opinions presented are obviously biased, the point of the video seems to be to entertain, rather than to educate. In that regard, I would say it is a success. The animation and transitions were fun. The style was consistently retro-gaming themed.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    meant to be a multimeldia project apparently, and i've always pronounced it see-gah, thought everyone did :\
    Wouldn't say it was before his time either, he's my age and i grew up with nes/snes/megadrive.

vid was cool btw

edit: maybe just the australian pronunciation of sega? (http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/815/815908p2.html -at the end of the article) :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A+ for visuals.
    C- for content, info, research.
    B overall.

He gets extra points for calling it this generation instead of nex-gen. But loses points for not mentioning things like the raise of arcades and that the 2600 brought those games home, it also never got beyond the novelty phase with a lot of people. Oversaturation wasn't really the problem, it was cost, and hardware limitions. Each game had little different to offer and it was a distraction for a generation of kids who normally played outside, not the way of life kids know it to be today.

He did a good job constructing and rendering it but his info is surface fluff, biased and pretty weak. I'd hardly blame the collapse of the 2600 on ET. It was dead long before that came along. I know I was one of the only kids on my block still fascinated with the magical box of goodness.

Possibly with a bit more digging he could come up with some more interesting facts besides "this console is lame" "this console was cooler" and less time spent on fancy graphics he could have had a solid A. I liked the little touches of humor. It would have been nice to see the beginning graphics at the end, in some kind of wrap up shot. Without that shot, it made the beginning seemed kind of unnecessary.