Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space stations (+HD video)

Just wanted to share my recent work.
These are lowpoly :) Sci-Fi Space stations. Average polycount 30k, each uses same 2048x2048 texture pattern. Backgrounds are also mine.
Here is HD video demo of them in action with some shaders: http://www.vimeo.com/2634762

Some images:
sci-fi-space-stations-norad_07.jpg

sci-fi-space-stations-norad_14.jpg

sci-fi-space-stations-norad_12.jpg

sci-fi-space-stations-norad_18.jpg

Rest of shots here: http://www.3drt.com/3dm/norad-stations/norad-space-stations_shots.htm

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, what are the purpose of these? I mean, how will the player interact with them?

They look really great but 30 thousand polys seems really high, and doesn't really strick me as "Low poly"

In any event, great work; I love the detail.
  • 3DRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1)The purpose is to use these in a game.
    2)Players interact same as in other space games like EVE.
    3)Polycount isn't that high considering they are huge and not much other content to render in open space. All in all there are always LODs :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    wow. that's cool man. fantastic man. awesome.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, but in the video the space station is lit WAY too dark and and there is way too many colors in most of the backgrounds. The last purple one is nice though. It could also use some bloom especially when it passes in front of one of the brighter light sources in the background.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watched the video. Those are cool as hell. Maybe you could through in an occasional beacon light on the station to add som depth to all the dark areas. Keep up the great work.

I really like the shot which showed the section spinning in the other.
  • 3DRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for feedback guys.
    Codeman, I was thinking about exactly same thing about adding more live lights. The only problem I want them implemented in real-time. I have some tricky technology tested in the past and definitely will play with it sometime soon.
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Amazing models, I love them. greate amount of details, the scale looks so huge...
    For the video, the most disturbing thing in my eyes was the non sens of lights. When you have suns and other lights sources (with differents colors) it always looks like 1 white directional light.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good, and the lighting seems fairly realistic, which might contribute to it not looking very dramatic or exciting. Nothing wrong with that, especially if that's what you're going for, but it might look cool if you added some spotlight-like light sources (as part of the station, not just floating point lights) that light up certain select areas of the stations, casting shadows.
    They look really great but 30 thousand polys seems really high, and doesn't really strick me as "Low poly"
    Hehe, I was just thinking 30k polygons seems a bit low these days for huge space stations such as these :)
  • 3DRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again thanks for suggestions. Yes I should play more setting them up for animation. Didn't really spend time playing with scenes, just tossed the models in and dropped some lights here and there. Didn't want to overdose the scene since the goal was to show it as close as possible to how they will render in game engine. :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    these are good but they dont have anything much to give a sense of scale maybe some bubble habitats with trees in or something along those lines
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the details. Yum.
  • 3DRT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    these are good but they dont have anything much to give a sense of scale maybe some bubble habitats with trees in or something along those lines
    Funny idea with trees. :) Don't windows give you a sense of scale?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yes and no- they give an idea, but its a little vague if you could add somethings obviously human scale (hard at this res) or something that would give the veiwer a scale to work to i think it would give them alot more omph.

i was thinking it would make an ace shot to have a sited humanoid or droid fixing or standing on the stucture in the forground