Home Technical Talk

Voice activated commands

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but what's the view on using voice recognition software to issue commands when your modeling instead of hotkeys?

I've read a lot on people's hotkey setups and workflows but never really seen anyone using voice programs does anyone here? Or is it simply quicker using hotkeys and too much hassle to setup?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, hotkeys require no "training" time ... even with good voice recognition software, you have to "train" it a bit to learn your voice, otherwise it might not respond as well to commands. So that's an immediate difference, hotkeys waste less time.

Also, it might be hard to use that while listening to music, podcasts or similar things. Unless you use headphones... but then you'll probably end up talking louder than you need to.

Also there's the chance that amusing people might sneak up behind you and shout something like "SELECT ALL, DELETE, SAVE!" while you're in the middle of something :)

In general it always sounds like a fun idea but I don't think I've ever seen anyone using voice recognition software for actual 3d or 2d work, it would just become annoying and probably tiring too. Hotkeys or better customised right-click menus are definitely the way to go, I reckon.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »

Also there's the chance that amusing people might sneak up behind you and shout something like "SELECT ALL, DELETE, SAVE!" while you're in the middle of something :)

Haha. Didn't think of that but like the way you think tho :)

I guess your right - in principle it sounds good but at the end of the day its a ballache to setup and isn't widely adopted. I was reading Ted Boardmans blog and he mentioned he used that dragon program and thought yer good idea but I think i'll just dedicate some time to setting up my hotkeys properly.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I don't feel like telling commands at my computer all day long.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thats what these are for:
    5201-Premiere_Pro-Angle-LG.jpg
    to bind even more shortcuts

or if you have the money one of these
    5955386752906052.JPG?0.1171835174881779
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    I don't feel like telling commands at my computer all day long.
    you don't want to yell "MAKE ART" at it?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe I tried looking into just that a few weeks ago :P Unfortunately I did not get good results. Not really because of faulty recognition, but mostly because i couldn't find a decent application running macros driven by voice recognition. The closest I could get was, launching apps by saying their names. But it wasn't faster/snappier than Launchy for instance.

You could give Tazti a try :
    http://letmebemobile.tazti3.com/
    but then again no macro possibilities - just app launching, generic stuff and itunes controls.

I tried the latest Dragon software but wasn't impressed at all.

I'd love to be able to select a specific photoshop brush by saying it's name. Having a dedicated kb shortcuts per brush would still be ... stealthier, but I dont think this is even possible?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Doesnt Vista have already some features for voice action commands?
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a clip on the bbc a few years ago of some guy moving a mouse pointer on a screen using his thoughts (via electrodes - not defying physics:)) but not sure how quick that would be compared to using an old fashioned hand.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well as a replacement for 'hotkeys', I think voice commands are just too slow.

BUT, you could have voice commands replace menus, or at least make you never go into a menu again. While Ctrl+W is easier than saying 'Weld Selected', saying 'Create sphere zero fifteen zero' is easier than going to create->sphere->move to 15,0,0. The possibility of completely removing a UI, common things being done through hotkeys/whatever, and everything else being spoken, would be really awesome... and possible, I think, since with COM bridges you can drive the 3d programs. I'll make a thread about it at TAO next week and see if anyone has any ideas, this has lots of possibility.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vista does have some voice recognition app bundled with it but i've not tried it.

And that completely configurable keyboard - $1500! surely better to get a 21" Cintiq no?

I like the idea of being able to create primitives via voice commands I never thought of that, a lot of potentital there I look forward to your thread RobG.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    PAINT TEXTURE!

what about one of those small hand/gaming keyboards anyway to rig that up for a system like this?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    omg a keyboard with an emule/piracy button hahaha

I prefer a small and compact keyboard than all those useless and expensive keyboards. Shortcuts are the best, and i don't imagine myself all the day saying "cut", "paste", "boolean", "bevel", "join", "collapse", "bridge"... pufff

I use so many commands that i would end without voice, afon?

We should optimize our workflow and use the less tools possible, simple is always the best. As example, for me, extrude or inset does not exist, all is reduced to the tool "bevel" (i only need to press "b"). In photoshop, a few pencils and custom brushes and that's all, you really don't need to use 200 brushes and all the interface options... I only do a right click and i have all what i use in a ms. I'm quite happy with my workflow.

Voice recognition would be cool for the house, lights on!, but surely it has more cons than pros.

What i would like is to control what i see with my mind hehehe, but it's impossible for now. No shortcuts, no mouse, no talk, only the man and the screen (or glasses with screens too, nvidia has a pair).
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    what RobG said is pretty interesting, if somebody would start developing stuff like that i'm pretty sure that the computers will have to develop more in our language (and therefore become more "intelligent"). so if we'd develop simple stuff like this, in my sci-fi driven mind it streers directly to AI :D.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Fortunately, not gonna happen anytime soon haha!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    or unfortunately as the case may be :D
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    this will be cool once it will work properly, the possobilities are endless

You: <theatrical voice> Let there be light! and puff, magic :icon3:

AI sounds like fun but imagine an AI with an attitude:

You: <theatrical voice> Let there be light!
    AI: Say please!

or

You: Bridge tool, please!
    AI: hmm are you sure? You want to bridge that?! Topology is a mess! I'm sorry Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    I think Maya has ability to do Voice command actions with this script:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/tools/misc/3957.html

Never tried it though and it seems to be outdated a few versions.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You: Bridge tool, please!
    AI: hmm are you sure? You want to bridge that?! Topology is a mess! I'm sorry Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that.

mmm that would be like the UAC in Vista XDDD, asking for all hehe
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a tablet pc like a cintiq and love it. I have to use a bluetooth keyboard to get shortcuts and it sucks. I would love to use voice command of it worked.