Home General Discussion

Discussion: Obsession in our field?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Discussion: Obsession in our field?

I recently watched a video of Adam Savage from Mythbusters talking about
obsession in the things he loves.
(Which, by the way, if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. It's 15 minutes and
really interesting).

I've thought about this for a while now, specifically in our field as
videogame artists. We collect references and we save images to an
inspiration folder, sure, but do you ever find yourself somewhat obsessed
over your current project? Personal or professional?

Over the past 3 years, I've found myself getting personally invested in the
projects I am on. Whether its the work on Wolfenstein or Ghostbusters I've
done over the past 2 years, or the Unearthly Challenge or hell, even the
LPC I did with Shari and the other I did with Paul, I'm constantly finding
that even when I'm not working on them, I am thinking about that world or
its inhabitants.

I can easily lose myself in those words. I try to picture it beyond what it
that I am specifically trying to illustrate and really think about what this
world consists of. And, while I think it absolutely helps, I think it can
overshadow the overall effectiveness of believability in the work I am doing.

Most recently, the work I did with my friend Boyd on our UC entry suffered
from this. We were so wrapped up in the story we presented that to us,
the story is present in the scene, but to most everyone else they had no
idea what it was they were looking at. So, since we can't exactly force
people to read our backstory or expect them to understand that particular
world or our story, it failed. While it looks neat, there's no real substance.

Positively, though, this sort of obsession will help fuel major aspects of
what it takes internally to finish a piece. I especially find that the major
positive contribution from this sort of obsession is motivation. It's
motivating, to me, to think about this world. Especially if I can discuss it
with another person either in person or through chat. I find all i want to do
when I'm done discussing it is get to work on the piece and do the best I
can; to give that world justice. Or to justify this sort of obsession? That
detail I am not certain on.

So, I ask again, is this true for you when you're creating a character or
outlining a new environment? Perhaps it hits in the later stages when you're
texturing or working on the atmosphere?

Or do you sort of... leave that train of thought "at the door", when you're
close your 3D app and call it a day?

As well, is obsession the right word? I'd like to think its 'passion', but in
my opinion that's something entirely different.

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I definately get more involved than required on the stuff I work on, specially personal stuff... I rarely put it on paper, but I always think of backstories for anything I work on while working on it.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, with making a representation of a place entirely from scratch, it definitely helps to have a highly resolved idea of that place in your head. On the other hand, it's only the first step. You could compare it to what a journalistic photographer does. Take a pro photog, and put him in a place alongside some average Joe with a camera. The photographer's pictures are going to distill and convey the essence of that place more clearly than the amateur.

So, while it helps to have a 'high resolution' preconception of a character or place, it's only part of a larger process. Especially with 3d work, it's easy to get caught up in inessential details- you need to take that photographers eye, and focus on putting your efforts where they'll really count.

As far as obsession goes, yeah it definitely helps. Once you start doing the stuff, it's hard not to walk around and be all, 'I know exactly how i'd do that surface', or 'damn, look at the specular hilight where that new paint is'. It's probably called being a dork.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Tell me about it! My brain, unfortunately, does not seem to shut down as well as it used to. For me its a case of too much PC screen time and too late at night, it runs on and I'm pushing polys, or thinking about how an environment might work depending on how tilable it is horizontally - in my dreams or light sleep.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hah, i'm an exessively obsessive person. i create models of tanks.
    and the amount of information i've gathered on tanks is.. pretty considerable.
    some tanks i've made 2 versions of, and on the latest edition of the tanks i've been obsessing about weld seams, and pixel-perfect positioning of little nuts and bolts that contribute almost nothing to the overall look of the vehicle and such.

and i've also started modeling a space ship.
    i've gone so far as to detail how the guns actually work..
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I honestly don't think I'm obsessive enough. I am motivated and always want to learn but sometimes I really just need to kickstart myself to get going, once I've started though it's really hard for me to stop. I haven't had nearly enough serious projects under my belt to say whether or not I think of it constantly outside of the project, but I could totally see myself doing that, just being completely engrossed. I'd love for that to happen and am capable, but as of yet it hasn't happened very often.

as I improve my artwork and creativity in general I can see it happening much more often.

almost reminds me of guitar, I hated it when I first started learning it but now that I can play good it's more and more fun and I do it more often. I think that's one of the biggest hurdles in any art, at least for me.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Adam, I would think that us as artists would always tend to think this way. Well to a certain degree anyway. When I am creating something elaborate I tend to throw myself into it. I want to make sure that it is as believeable as possible. I think as creators of environemts or characters/objects we try to get the user to believe it as much as possible. I would call it passion because we love what we do.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Artist obsessive... you don't say, i don't think we do that... Hmm that triangle is looking at funny let me move it a pixel. LOL :D I think obsession can be a double edge sword. It's good to be into your work but if you can't get your project done because you are over thinking things then it's a waste of time.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I view everything in tri's and quads. I mentally overlay a wireframe on everything i see as i walk down the road and debate in my head "hrmmm would that be faster to make traditionally modeling, or zbrushing". Im obsessed with my profession, and I will rant about it to anyone that will listen.....its usually some poor girl at the bar that makes the mistake of asking me what i do =P Tho i often trail off into traditional art as well.

/loves art.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I was the same way for a long time when I started in the industry. Lots of shit fell on me through the years though and I've since become pretty jaded. I love my work and it's the only industry I've ever wanted/enjoyed working in, but I don't have the insane burning passion and obsession I once had.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Sage wrote: »
    Artist obsessive... you don't say, i don't think we do that... Hmm that triangle is looking at funny let me move it a pixel. LOL :D I think obsession can be a double edge sword. It's good to be into your work but if you can't get your project done because you are over thinking things then it's a waste of time.

Very true,

but its good to get involved as it helps to sell your piece better, right now im making my UT3 map and every night before i goto sleep i think about what i can add or remove to help sell the setting.

When i was making a block out of my level i put more emphasis on story than game play and it kinda bit me in the ass when i was testing gameplay.

Personally i think when im enjoying something and i obsess over every little detail, those are the times when im enjoying my work the most!

why make something you dislike when oyu can make it into something your obsessed with.

but when making art/levels you want to be able to tell a story in the image itself and not print a wall of text to explain what the image is.

@adam: the last statement kinda refers to what you were saying about your UC entry.

Although it came out great i was wondering WTF it was supposed to be and kinda discarded it because it was too confusing to understand without reading the backstory of the image itself.

you want to be carefull about confusing the viewer when making game art in general.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    Every artist that I've ever met that was worth anything had an obsessive personality. It's what puts the details into their works, and ultimately makes them a great artist. One could say that just caring about your work, and more to the point enjoying what you do, makes you obsessive towards your work.

But in reality I'm just pissed because I just watch the Adam Savage video and wanted to get the eCred for posting it.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    That Adam Savage video is super awesome.

I find my obsessiveness to only surface when I'm in a comfortable situation or facing some other responsibility. If I have no one and no work, no school involved in my life - that is, no immediate responsibility other than stressing over survival and seeking out those things (people, work, survival) - then I am hardly motivated to create something beautiful. If I'm going to be homeless in the streets, I'd be more likely to dwell on words and music (hobo with a harmonica), or wisdom and life philosophy, even if I've already unearthed a shit ton of that (and it does amount to mostly useless shit of solely personal utility).

When I'm going to a job every day though, the art obsessiveness rarely leaves my mind. There becomes something to want to go home to. So, in a way, for myself personally, a willingness to obsess (or a tendency to), is connected in some way to feelings of self-worth; this explains, possibly, and I really hope nobody is reading this post, because it's utter nonsense, the previously mentioned desire to find meaning or spirit in life when occupying a non-standard position within modern society: in the absence of having something that is, by modern standards, representative of responsible and worthwhile nature, one seeks self-worth within the world, perhaps drawn (this is a new conclusion I am having?) by the desire to feel comfortable and obsess, as before, over one's artwork, whatever the intended creation or favored medium may be.

I find a lot of the art made by someone who has gone through the search for wisdom and introspective process, maturation in their life, is more compelling, and they pull something unique from that, creating something that is personally theirs. And everyone's, in each person's own way, if it's good enough that people can identify with it. Bob Dylan comes to mind, but that's just something I personally identify with, eh. I would love to create artwork of that caliber, but have been stuck in a rut of not finding stability within the 'real world'. The path is, all in all, an... odd one.

Going back to inspiration being my motivation for obsessive creation behavior, there have been several sources of this feeling. Other works of great beauty are, of course, inspiring, movies usually having the greatest effect (will games catch up?); nature is a hugely inspiring thing for me as well, especially when perceived from a non-language, non-thinking, Buddhism-esque perspective (I can see this internal feeling being emulated in an open game environment); and the feeling of reciprocated love, huge adoration and love, including the non-sexual: perhaps most powerful feeling I have ever felt by which to be inspired, so fleeting (listen to me; it's no wonder) and yet the most warming, motivating thing.

To obtain this feeling one (that is, myself, who places great value in such a thing) must follow several short steps - financial security in the world, some amount of reputability, and then to find the inspiring people themselves; these are the things, the search for which that is, that seem to distract from one's motivation. It would seem then that I've either to absolve desire for these things in order to acquire an equally desirable level of focus, or to discover some other source within myself. The mention of which, naturally, feels... nostalgic, and... like something I must be off to do right now. Pardon.

[/stream of consciousness]
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I think what is more compelling about this video is the very last thing he says. It's all about exercise and Process. The finished piece is indeed nice, but the actual work is what's enthralling. I would imagine this is why so many works are left unfinished, finishing is not the priority. Granted this is more for personal work, rather than commercial of course.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I know I'm late to the party, but I certainly get into it at that level when I'm afforded the time to do so. IF I get interested enough in the project, I definitely get obsessive, and I feel I can never collect enough reference. Sadly, I feel that at work, I'm often so pressed for time, that I don't have enough time to learn enough of the backstory of an area, or what have you, to really get into it. I often find myself just kind of muddling through it. There are definitely times at work when I get into a good team of people, or have enough time to really feel some ownership over the area that I get to that level, but far too often I'm just going through and finishing up something that someone else started.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just my two cent. I think everyone (or nearly everyone) who is able to make a living with 3d art has some level of obsession in there nature.

I'm sure many of you have been at 3d long enough that you don't really consider it often; but the level of specific knowledge you need in this field is really insane. Just try to explain what you do specifically to someone who is not involved in 3d art is the perfect example. Almost always, no matter how well you break it down or explain; the listener becomes incredibly confused (due to how complicated the process is).

Anyways, my point is that most people would never put the kind of work needed into 3d art unless they had a obsessive personality. It's such an involved process, that the non-obsessive would simply look for something easier to do with there time.

My personal example: I often find myself not listening to what people are saying in a face to face conversation because I start studying the specific curves of there face. I try to commit those specific shapes to memory for sculpting at a later time.

Vrav: I read your post, ha ha.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I wanted to make a Red Alert 3 mod a while ago. It was set in the '50s, so I'd go looking for concept images from real military equipment, but also concepts and wonder weapons from a variety of eras. Up to a point where I'd start to listen to '50s music all day long and watched the Atomic Caf
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love arts, i hate arts.

It feels good to create something beautyful, it feels like the world is crashing down when you fail.

Not only the end product drives me, the fact that you work on self control is something amazing aswell. Learn how to work with your body and mind. How to translate thoughts into perfect fluid motions.

Im obsessed with observing,
    I always keep studying things, even while it should not be studied.

I sometimes go people watching with a friend, get a huge cup of coffee and find a bench in the citystreets. Entertaining as hell, and you might learn a thing or two.

Im obsessed with thinking, and its killing me.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Obsession, passion... if you love what you do, you have it ^^

My level of obsession is moderate, and i focus all my efforts in the subdiv models and characters. I love to have a cool and polygonal character i previously designed on the paper. I love to give volume to my ideas :D

Obsession is not a problem for me, the real one is that i'm collapsed with ideas, too much creativity...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It varies from person to person. I don't get immersed in my own creations. I get obsessive about the technical details of my creations. I have always had a little more engineer than artist in me. It is probably why I am naturally drawn to 3D graphics. (arguably one of the more technically-minded and driven artistic mediums) So I often get bogged down in the fiddly technical details of my work.

This is especially apparant when I voluntarily debug software I've written for hours on end just to solve a specific problem. (which may or may not even be significant) The same thing happens when I assemble new computers. I can spend entire days figuring out how to make everything run perfectly.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I hear you guys on the observing things, memorizing and studying, imagining the topology of something and so forth. It's fun. Kind of makes the world around you feel more tactile and alive than to just see everything as concepts and implications - sex, weather and the mundanity of common objects taking a backseat to the beauty of form, shape of a cloud, play of light within a room. It's almost an obsession with the curiosity and knowledge behind the act (how is this thing made; how can I create this?) more than the creation of art itself, like it is the process over the result. The addictiveness of problem solving!

How human.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    sorry for not reading the rest of these posts.

Adam- I run into this

ALL
    THE
    TIME

i think that understanding the realities that other people live in.. in terms of the word they see, but also how they take in and process information, is important and the solution to this... but that statement is a good example of a bad way of doing that:

i think this subject is specifically about the pre-supposition that your audience understands the things that our points are predicated on. in other words, you make an environment based on a story, and you think that just because you understand it, your audience will too...

ultimately, you can't not communicate this way. i used to get high and write, and break down my definitions mid-writing. so in this thread, i'd write something like..
    "... understanding the realities that other people live in.. (and by realities i mean blah blah blah)".. but you can't do that all the time... you'd just end up continually breaking things down into infinite granularity.

and i think the only way around it is to get a respectful sense for where someone IS before you open your mouth.. which you probably won't find online. most people online are more interested in scanning what you say as it's seen from THEIR perspective. In my opinion, if you've made an effort to communicate to someone, and they aren't willing to try and meet you, fuck them, seriously. you can't come more than 50%.... but yeah.. i think you can come more in their direction..

understand your audience.... or express yourself and hope there are others who get you.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am with Vassago on this.

My passion on this has died over the years for various reasons.

I often think that I should get in to environmental art to restimulate my interest, but after a

while the same technical contraints/frustrations would crop up again.

I still enjoy making 3d art , but at times it becomes a chore which is a bit of shame.

Recently I started playing games a lot more and have found the obsession side of it has come back a little.

Perhaps its a case of remembering that ultimately its not just making pretty art for its own

sake, but that it has a function and slots in to the game world as an object.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    ... do you ever find yourself somewhat obsessed
    over your current project? Personal or professional?

This to me is the goal. To say, I love what I do.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    It is interesting to see the dynamics of how a professional career affects an artist's walk in life. You are still doing what you love. It's the same motions. It's interesting to me to think about how those small shifts in circumstance are so vital, how they can lift you up or wear you down. The lack of control. Stressed upon commitments. Others depending on you. A means for livelihood.

The same motions, but different. Comparing to what a hobby artist does to a professional artist, the difference can be huge depending on the individual and scenario they've signed themselves up for. It's pretty interesting to see how your happiness can be effected by what you're working on. In time, you mind will try to rewire itself from its previous wiring. A lot of the avenues I took to gain rewards were closed when moving into the professional world. When working within those confines, you have to find ways of those some rewards by different means. Maybe there is no need for it, and you are getting all you need with your job. That's an ideal situation. Maybe its aiming for a pat on the back for doing good? ... Or going back to feed that old addition and run home to do personal work?

Vrav, I read your post.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Spending hundreds of hours making digital lego blocks or playdo people is by definition an obsessive act. The question of 'are artists obsessive by nature?' might be a little bit redundant :)

But hey, Merry Christmas!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Just the same, are monks creating rock gardens and trimming banzai trees, then meditating over the result, obsessive? Or are they just focused? I think to be considered obsessive or not depends on what is going through your mind when in the process of creating. Unless of course all humans are obsessive, always striving for some goal. Which they more or less are. We obsess over silly concepts that we've created over the centuries and fumble blindly for salvation and acceptance. Or we ignore that and just create cool art, I dunno. I feel ashamed to dissolve the argument into semantics. "Yes, am obsessive," etc.

killingpeople, your post reminds me of this article I read recently; it's mostly about courage and I'm not sure how much it pertains to art jobs, but still: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Of course Monks are obsessive , focus merely implies intentional rather than accidental obsession.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    /unlurk

Adam, I have had the same problem with many of my projects. I've always been of the mind that you have know a character's history to create a character that looks like they've lived through that history. I guess in some sense, that might be true, but probably all of us have had a point where we had to back off and say "enough of the backstory," and get back to the important parts.

I've always enjoyed writing when I'm not required to write, so that probably helps some as well.

/re-lurk