Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP, Critiques Needed!!!

Hey everyone,

Below is a Low Poly project I am working on. The actual model consists of three different parts: the hull, the conrol panel, and the engine. As of now I will show the Control panel and will post the other two soon after.

Here is the model in its entirety

crenderpo3.jpg

Here is the specific piece I am focusing on in this post
controlcvd6.jpg

Here is My Clay render (522 tris):
clayan1.jpg

Here is my diffuse map, Normals map, and Specular map (in that order)
controlrevampdgu0.jpg

controlnmwh7.jpg

controlrevampsspeb0.jpg

Again your feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Replies

• okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to put more into your textures. The steering wheel could do with some detail, maybe grip area or something. Maybe you could put some rust in logical places (around bolts etc.), since this would be near water all the time.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    good start, but it looks like something out of Rainbow Six (the original late 90's one)

A) Figure out what kind of game this is for, and model/texture to that. If it's an RTS, your polys are probably fine. FPS you could stand to add some more details and such to the geometry.
    B) There is absolutely no reason you should have your texture stretched like that. If you need to paint round objects as ovals, you've got a problem. Fix your mapping.
    C) keep working on the texture in general. Add more contrast, and make sure that everything in your texture reads as what it's supposed to be. i.e. It needs to be clear. Right now I don't know what the blue part is (a screen maybe?) Forget the dirt. When you're just starting, dirt turns into a way to hide sketchy work. Make a clean version first, then add dirt and such on top.

Keep going, you're on the right track.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Tumerboy. Right now things are confusing. First clearly define what style you are going for and what type of game. That will help you narrow down the look and the poly budget. Then work on the look of the textures to be what they are supposed to be. Right now nothing is clear on what it is. Somethings look like metal, other like rock, etc. Make them clean and what they are first. Then dirty it up.

Hope this helps. Is looking good just needs tweaking.

Cheers!
  • apparition4161
    Thank you all for your feedback. I am currently in the process of reworking this piece and I will post my second draft soon.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick's dead on. Don't squish something as important as a control panel for something as unimportant as a noisy block of unseen texture. Flip the squish around, the noisy patch will hide the stretch much better. You also have to think about mip map levels. If you're in the habit of stretching textures, its only going to get ugly faster.

Your spec, has the computer screen with data in it. That's not a good idea for the spec on a screen, its going to be blotchy. More then likely you'll want a nice smooth high spec that fades around the edges. I also think there is too much white in your spec, in all the wrong places. You can use spec to help define the edges that are specific to the normal map. So tone down the overall spec and play up those edges, both modeled and in the normal.

Keep up the good work and fixa, fixa fixa...
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it seems you have made the speculars the easy way (i.e. lower brightness,up contrast) which usually leads to what vig has pointed out, ". I also think there is too much white in your spec, in all the wrong places" mainly the latter part of the statement.
    Pretty much the only thing youll need to make sexy speciiz *goes worship ID staff poster*
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The link worked for me. Nice tutorial Butt, thanks for posting it.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah working for me aswell ott.
    yeah definitely brad,your always very welcome.The main thing is,if those guys are doing it, then it means that how it should be done :D i had so much fun read through their documentation. Check this out :-
    http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_CreatingModels
    i had an eyegasm when i saw it the first time :)