Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - a.leigh - Props / Environments

Hey everyone. I'm looking for crits and feedback, mainly of my work, but if you have comments about the site in general feel free to throw them in. I've been applying for prop/general 3d modeling jobs for a while now, but with no luck. So let me know what I need to do please.
http://amandaburrelli.com

Replies

• Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    well, your meshes look rather clean to me.

However, textures look bad :( That concerns actual textures and their application. That is to say, for example, leaking dirt in HL2 map is not correctly placed. Also in many textures one can see evident pattern repetition. Most of textures look like they were simple applied as planar map to everything often with no respect to what is actually in the texture.

Check out here for some helpful tutorials: http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryEnvironment

Also I've recently discovered some cool 3d sketchbooks on game-artist.net. U can learn some techniques and use that as a quality reference:

1) http://www.game-artist.net/forums/3d-sketchbooks/3835-doylles-collection-pixels-vertices.html

2) http://www.game-artist.net/forums/3d-sketchbooks/7794-stefan-morrell-environments-x-y-z.html
  • Lord Ned
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On your Arches page, the thumbnail doesn't represent it well. When I first saw the shadows of the arches, it looked like a badly-shadowed model. I can't say that I see what Matroskin is talking about in the HL2 map, as I don't see a HL2 Map there.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I have to agree with Matroskin. The textures are your main downfall. I also took a look at your resume, and it could use some work as well IMO.

Basically, you need simply get a few really awesome scenes together. It looks like you started there with the Unearthly challenge, but now you need a few more and with higher caliber textures.

Also, I am guessing that some of your older work is shown towards the end (its in order right). There is a saying that you are only as good as your worst piece, so you might wanna can a few of those, or re-work them. I see some pretty bad stretching on the tree stump model for one.

You should start a WIP at Polycount and get crits as you go.

Good luck!
  • a.leigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they're pretty much in order. I can definitely re-work the textures on the tree stump, and get rid of the older stuff. I was actually thinking of using those arches in a larger scene, so I may be able to re-purpose them with a new texture.

Concerning the HL2 maps... should I just get them off of there all together?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I say this a lot; desaturated diffuse and crazybump and/or nvidia diffuse does not equal specs or normals. By having these in your portfolio you're directly telling employers you do not understand how these materials work. Specular is easy to learn, prop normal mapping takes work. There was a time when specular maps had no color, but now they can be very colorful (depending on the material). Normal maps shouldn't look like a blank blue material. They should be full of lighting information. Additionally, if you're using these types of materials, your diffuse shouldn't have lighting information.

I always suggest people post one piece they want to be their best for feedback in its own thread. Be frank that you need to learn how to do things right, and people here will be willing to explain the process they use.

Your 2D section shouldn't be in your portfolio.

Showing knowledge of HL2 level design is great actually. As a game artist, this is technically, the only game art you're showing.

It's true about your texturing will hold you back. The unfinished gun model is a big tell to that.

As for pushing you in the right direction. I noticed you're in the DC area. Locally, you've got Mythic, Bethesda, and BigHuge around here. You may consider using their concept art for portfolio pieces. Being a local artist does help your chances of getting in. I suggest trying our some WARHAMMER concepts first to get your texturing improved. After that, experiment with some Fallout3 concepts to learn more about normal mapping.

http://warhammeronline.com/conceptart/index.php

This direction will put you in line for application to these companies. And since it includes fantasy and realism, you'll gain solid variety and the skills to make you desirable to just about any place.
  • a.leigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I just took a look at the Warhammer concepts and I can definitely start working on a few of those.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    My opinion? too early
    The major problems i see what your portfolio are 1) Lack of projects and 2)Textures.
    You have one major environment and a few props and an unfinished gun.
    You should check out portfolios by established prop/environment artists and see what kind of work they have in their portfolios.Being a character artist, im not really that aware of the envo guys,but heres a list of some naughty envo guys im sure you can look upto:- (i think these are their usernames here on polycount.you could google!) In so specific order (im thinking right out of my head here)
    -adambrome
    -Jesse moody
    -EQ
    -Cholden
    -Kevin Johnstone
    -Eric Chadwick
    -jasonlavoie
    -dekard
    -shepeiro
    -Matroskin
    -Vig
    -Orionburchum with his naughty props
    -Pixelgoat
    -Thegodzero
    -Erik!
    -zerfian
    -Ironhawk
    -SLum
    -Vassago
    -Michibe
    -JordanW
    -Frozan
    To name a few.....pretty much all of these guys are regular posters and are extremely helpful (good for us ;)).I think all of these guys have foli links?These guys are pretty much as good as anyone can get imo.Spend as much time learning from theri work as possible. You should also check out different threads here and there but great envo artists and learn/ask questions as much as possible. I know theres atleast 3 envo threads currently in the going in the P&P section. Theres also that famous steffan Morell thread over at cgtalk.
    I remember a thread about a week ago which had a really nice cottage environment.Something you should look upto.
    That nightmare engine piece is the best thing youve got going in your portfolio.I do see some problems with the piece in ways of scaling,texture repetition and just general polish. Looking at the scene, you also have some in-correct polygonal distributions and the textures are badly scaled to fit the uvs. Your textures are generally hurting you REALLY bad. They look rushed and the lest bit organized. Why do they look so rushed? :/
    As far what to take out is concerned,this might sound REALLY depressing,but i think you should start from scratch.Generally, everything in your portolio is "meh,average".Do you really want anyone visit to just think that and leave?If your ok and ready to settle with an "average" portfolio, i guess its ok as is:/You need to captivate the visitors attention and you have to literally force him to check your folio out. Those arches arent really doing anything for you in my opinion.The clock seems ok.The tree stump home isnt really doing it for me like brad mentioned (that stretching is horrendous) and that cottage is too "meh". Tomorow you might wake up and when you look at your work,you might say to yourself how you could improve on a particular issue of a particular environment.So take that issue,and work it out until your 100% happy with it. A hungry artist is never satisfied with the work he does.Dont attach yourself to any particular projects too much. Work on a new project>See if the older projects are letting your portfolio down quality-wise>Terminate!
    Where to go from here?You need to make atleast 2 more KICKASS environments with different themes, make nice props and textures for them,and import them into an
    engine.Maybe broaden your portfolio by doing a spaceship or a weapon(pixelgoat) or a vehicle(pliang and unsteadyteddy sound like great inspirations)? and PLEASE dont rush your work.Youre not racing anyone are you? As a great inspiration,id point you to jasonlavoie.That fellow made all the environments and the quality at which they are now in about a year/year and a half.He is self-taught just recently converted to envos.Be sure to bug him at every chance you can get :) Note that he has about 2-3 environment pieces that he has done over that time. He didnt pimp them out in a month.Take your sweet time with these projects and keep yoursefl motivated. Goddamnit jason i always end up prasing your work XD Also be sure to check out the Eat3d tutorials.Most popular being where they show you how to build a realistic pillar nad take it into unreal
    You could only improve your chances by taking a go at the unreal engine.Ive seen that having more technical knowledge when it comes to environments is really helpful. I guess its all about your skillset and how you work in them,Getting yourself involved in a Mod would be a great idea aswell.
    The primary advice i'd give you is to actually build up a portfolio before getting excited and applying for a job. You have potential, and you only improve with each project.As brad pointed out,be sure to start a new project and pimp it in the P&P section.

Hope i wasnt too random :/
    Good luck :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    butt_sahib can improve you. He has the advice. It will make you better than you where. Better... Stronger... Faster...
    :P