Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rabagh The Bombardier

Hey guys! I'm happy to join your forum! I've already tried to post this yesterday, but the thread didn't appeared. So i'm trying one more time:)

This my latest character.

Here is final textured model rendered in scanline 3ds max render.

rabaghfulltexturedfg6.jpg

Looks like it's too much polys for a videogame engine:) Forgive me that:\ I'll make the LODs if you need it ha-ha:)))))))

rabaghwireframezx0.jpg

Textures showcase:

texturesshowcasexr4.jpg

Concept art I did being inspired by Gears Of War

rabaghconceptjc6.jpg

Highpoly model

I did all hard-surface in Softimage XSI and organic parts in Zbrush

rabaghfullqj1.jpg

Head

rabaghheadhr2.jpg

Highpoly model with Zbrush pass.

Before I started lowpoly stage I did this quicktest. I turned my model into pixols and add some quick details like dirt and scratches.

rabaghfronthptj0.jpg

Here you can check hires images and 360turnaround renders http://bulgarov.com/rabagh.html

Hope you guys like it:) Cheers to Polycount!

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this is bad ass
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic down to the last detail! the skin is just incredible and while the gear is a bit noisy, it does have good areas of focus glad to have you and great work!

aaaaaah checked your site i remember your DW3 entry thats a great piece too...bookmark!

-Woog
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    yeah saw this on zbrushcentral, pretty dope! should do a version around 10k tris aswell. looking forward to the dvd btw, might pick it up! :)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    kick ass, love the bone structure you laced over the organics on the knuckles
    and the chin / neckline
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    oh wow, yep thats a keeper
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your the best !
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    fantastic! this looks really nice ^^
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    what an awesome piece of work you have there. The design and the model KICKASS !!

My only little complaint is about the specular map. Atm, your whole character (including the armor) seems to have one single material to it. I should play a bit more with that :)

Anyways, great work ! :)
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Welcome to Polycount Vitaly. Awesome as usual and I look forward to seeing more of your work here.

-Kenny
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    wow.. your work is astonishing. I love the 'angel' piece.

In this one I felt like you should put some areas for 'relax', where light is not broken into 100 details. When my eye reached the waist, it wanted to rest, and I expected the armor to be more clean. I think your concept paint have this good balance between uber-detailed and cleaner-forms.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    its a kewl piece. I saw it over at zbrush central. Honestly tho, the organics are fun, but the armor gives me a head ache. Also the shape of the legs, boots just dont do it for me. Its like a big sasuage with a lacking shiloette (sp). Again, sweet execution, but design wise just doesnt rock it for me and make me wanna save the image.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to the boards Vitaliy #2!

Agreeing with the majority of people here, I think your Hi-Poly/Sculpting skills are really fantastic.
    However what seems to keep your work from reaching it's full potential is predominantly the texture work. The entire thing almost feels like it's built from concrete rather than a living character, get some contrasting material definition in there and the results will speak for themselves.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That's amazing. Ace job :)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Saw this over at Zbrushcentral, today. Beautiful. Did this start as a modification of your Marine character? The head close-up bears a striking similarity in silhouette.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really good, I love the style and the level of detail and attention you have put into it. Obviously a lot of work and skill here!

However I feel (and the same way I felt about your DW3 character) that the end result is very "noisy", it's hard to find a focus point. The value/colour of the textures is very similar, and there are no real breaks or deviations in the fine detail, so it's quite difficult to know where to look, the eye can't "rest" on it... maybe that was your plan, I don't know?

Also while the silhouette from the side view is awesome, I think the front view is maybe a bit boring in silhouette, it seems like there could be some more "in and out" areas to break up the silhouette into more interesting shapes.

However those are very minor critiques, in general it's great, thanks for posting it here! I saved it to my inspiration folder already :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    pretty damn awsome dude, but i too jump on the bandwagon that your attention to detail has slightly overwhelmed your big stroke brush
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff, as always. :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    only crit: your metal-texture is too busy

beautiful flesh and nice design !
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Yep I dig it.

I totally agree wit mop tho! Go on! :)

ben
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks sick!

The texturing does feel too noisy and high contrast. I think you could take it a lot further by nuking the darks you have in the diffuse and playing more to a flat color texture. This will especially help the fleshy areas, and add some contrast to it and the metal. It looks great, just think overall there is too much shading going on in the diffuse, and not enough play between it and the specular.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    just bookmarked your site great source of inspiration! love it!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Hey dude, welcome to Polycount. I saw this on the Zbrush forums, it kicking some ass.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Its actually needles to say anything at all,any thing i could say that this immense quality will be hard to fit into a game world. Would be nice with some description of what the character is and what kind of weapon he uses since he is called Bombardier. Mult noroc pe mai departe!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    good god that is some amazing work right there
  • Vitaly Bulgarov
    Wow! So many good advises!! :thumbup: Thanks a lot guys for your feedback especially for the critics! You helped me a lot! Really appreciate it:)

Renaud Galand: You're probably right about the specular, I think that's because I just tweaked spec.level and glossiness settings of max material
    instead of fixing the specular map itself:) I did it to get more wet/fat looking specular. I'll keep in mind that such solution can ruin effect of different texture materials. Thanks man!

Parasie7: Thanks Kenny:) Good to hear from you!

shotgun, stimpack, RazorBladder, SHEPEIRO, moose: Thanks a lot guys! Everything was taken into my considiration :thumbup:!

8FtSpider: Yeah, I used some base parts from marine. Concerning the head silhoette, I did the head from scratch. I just love such type of silhoette:)

MoP: Thanks a lot for your suggestions:) Partially it was a plan to make a "busy" looking model, but yeah you're right I should find the balance between desire to make
    an extremely detailed stuff and making something what your eye can handle:) Thanks!

c0ldhands: Multumesc pentru bine cuvinte:) THe description can be pretty flexible, something like a bad guy carrying bombs in his backpack;)

Big cheers:)
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally i really love all the detail and dont think its too noisy at all. i think all the detail looks very nice and really gives this model its own unique look.

great work!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Saw this bad boy on zbrushCentral.

Cant wait for that tutorial: Your going to have to give us all a holler when its out.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    That is amazing, cant wait for the gnomon dvds. congrats!
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely top notch modelling and design. However, everything kind of melts together. I would like to se some more difference between the skin and metal surfaces. Maybe lower the contrast on the skinparts? Anyhow, it’s a really cool and well made char.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • SomberResplendence
    In my opinion, this is pretty ace! You are the envy of many amateurs like myself :P
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    wow brilliant character, great work!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Looks really good, I love the style and the level of detail and attention you have put into it. Obviously a lot of work and skill here!

However I feel (and the same way I felt about your DW3 character) that the end result is very "noisy", it's hard to find a focus point. The value/colour of the textures is very similar, and there are no real breaks or deviations in the fine detail, so it's quite difficult to know where to look, the eye can't "rest" on it... maybe that was your plan, I don't know?

Awesome work, great scultping and insane modelling ! Good Gears of War feeling going on.

Same As with Gears of Wars Characters itself, I agree with many that the textures are a tad too noisy.
    This is especially "sad" as you have areas where your sheer modelling qualities could have strike more instead of being hidden behind a layer of noisey texture.

Anyways, awesome work. Found a home in my insp folder aswell :P

Welcome to the boards !
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    looking forward to the gnomon making of DVD :thumbup:
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    I echo all the positive things people have said about this piece sofar. But there's one thing that jumps out at me within the first 3 seconds of looking at this guy.

Busy.

There's sooo much detail in his skin and armor that they really clash for attention. There is no information hierarchy, just one giant mass of busy busy detail. But when you compare it with the concept, notice that the skin texture pops over the armor. Which is not to say the armor is flat looking, just less pronounced in a way that it doesn't overwhelm the viewer.

I *think* I'm making sense :p
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, Vitaly, great work as always. You never fail to amaze me with your designs, and models.

I have a question, though. What do you use to get your normal, AO, whatever, maps? I like 3ds max's results, the maps are very clean, and look great, BUT, I can't get my high res models in there to make the maps, so I end up making lower res meshes, just so I can render my maps. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the info, and big thanks for the inspiration.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    everytime i look at it i want to oil up this model and make sweet sweet love to it :poly124:
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Good lord this is sweet!

I'm glad you decided to join Polycount, look forward to seeing more work from you.
  • Vitaly Bulgarov
    Thanks a lot guys for the comments!:thumbup: I'm glad too to join Polycount:)
    Big cheers!