Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP zbrush hell .. (player model)

**Current**

darkwar000023.jpg

aggregateyw5.jpg

so im trying to build this model modularly, so that when i throw this ingame i can have a few variations of the model by swapping out legs/head/arms etc..

now the problem im running into is not with the arms but mostly with midsection/legs ..

in the front im getting diaper boy, in the back im getting thong man .. see for yourself.

so im hoping someone out there has some ideas for solving this riddle, maybe i just havent had enough sleep but i cant think of a nice way to hide the he-man leg joint problem..

**note** still under heavy wip'ing
aggregaterw0.jpg

Replies

• fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    if you are trying for really hard edge armor....i'd subdivision model those peices. as far as the structure of the character....the side profile needs work. it's a straight line from top to bottom....the backbone curves....the legs curve etc.........it's too static as it is now. also, there is NO neck.

the diaper area needs to give a little where the legs would "rise up" if the character was running. as is....the functionality is not there.

do you have a concept you could post?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the concept art i have a side view of the head somewhere but im not following it. i will probably add some sortof helmet to him at some point though.

i understand what you say about the static look of the body currently .. its something im working on, however the spine is curved look closely please. i think the problem is that the front of the body is too flat and doesnt follow the curve of the spine enough.

The real problem for me atleast is how to make a modular player model that has legs that dont look totally ridiculous when you attach them to the hip area. any ideas ?

"the diaper area needs to give a little where the legs would "rise up" if the character was running. as is....the functionality is not there." <--- exactly the functionality isnt there .. do you have any ideas how to bring it ? i think also the back area is a bigger problem then the front.

hopefully when i get some time today or tomorrow i will try to fix the body to look less static. thanks for help.

light4copyno4.jpg

Here is a closeup of the chest so far.

zchestfx0.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man your proportions are a bit strange lower leg is too short head is too big, hand is too small, also you need to overexaggerate the spinal curve he does look like hes slouching a bit also the legs need to be posed differently, i know its not a human model, but its highly unnatural for the bulk of his thigh to be directly over the heel, the legs should lean forward a bit and the spine lean back to compensate. keep it going u have some decent sculpting skills, but your jumping the gun, need your whole form roughed out before u get to the level of detail u are at. gl on revisions

o also keep in mind the functionality of your detail, if there isnt a reason for something to have mass amounts of intricate detail, dont throw it on there it will look way busy and un-thought out. it seems like u have simplified the concept alot in the sculpt which is a step in the right direction.

-Woog
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    have u got perspective turned on (hit P) Sorry if you do :P Doesnt look like it in the top shot anyway.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, i worked on the proportions and the pose ever so slightly yesterday and today ..

the hip area is currently my nemesis it still looks quite bad.. im sure the proportions in general are still slightly off? hopefully they are a bit better by now..

also i havent put the spit shine on this yet.. still just using clay tubes brush for blocking..

aggregatesp6.jpg

also decided on how to do the legs modularly .. which is to have robocop legs ;) (the design not the style)

robocop.JPG

review_robocop12_3.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    other then the granny butt i think its turning out ok .. but i just cant seem to shake the back view granny butt problem any ideas ???

aggregatext6.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would suggest to go with a heavy pass of flatten/smooth on localized areas, to erase out most of the details (yet keeping some 'in the corners' to maintain the overall feel of detailling).
    For instance at the moment the back view is more successful than the front view in my opinion since it has stronger areas of rest. You can see that very easily on robocops shoulders and pecs.

It also helps if you keep the underlying primitives as readable as possible (again, like on the robocop shoulder)
    (In short : less Z, more design!)
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior i hear what you are saying.. although right now im a bit stuck on this model i might try to finish off the current apendages and then try to make some quicker alternates and throw those up here and see what people think would be the best.

and no post should be complete without a shot.. so heres a teensy tiny update, adding a neck!

also inflated the hands a bit since people were complaining about hand size, i think the hands look pretty good now? i think the detail on the tube around the arm needs to be cut down since its mostly just deforming the tube oddly and doesnt make sense. and the wrist area needs to be cleaned up. also need to throw a helmet on him .. and a part of me just wants to start over hah !

aggregatemv7.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yet another small update.. worked on the shoes .. i will probably flat out some of the details on the side of the leg and add more concrete stuff there. then i need to add a hel-met

aggregatejb9.jpg
  • Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armor looks cool but the face scares the crap out of me ><
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    haha maybe because the forehead doesnt come out and theres no dent for the top of the nose, inbetween the eyebrow, head looks flat or smashed in
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the face scares you? not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

there is a slight dent at the nose are its just hard to see.. and as far as the low forehead.. well ive seen my fair share of human faces and honestly with this one i wanted to experiment with a weird looking face and not the typical grizzled marine.. or chizzled marine.. or whatever marine..

but most people arent too hot on the face from what ive gathered so dont worry most of it will be covered by a helmet asap !
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the face is wierd, in fact it looks a little bit like robocop without his visor to me. To me it just doesnt seem to have the underlying bone structure of a face, its more like a face drawn on a squished sphere at the moment.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070816/robocop_l.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I was gonna say the biggest problem is the head atm.

The proportions are off there... Just from the front view I can see that the eyes are too wide, the nostrils too big/wide, and the mouth is too narrow.

When doing faces you have to be pretty carful with these things otherwise it will quickly make everything look weird.

I would suggest you take a few screen shots from front and side perspectives and do lay overs of general proportions to find out what exactly is off.

Save loomis has some amazing ebooks and images that can help you.

check it out: http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

Other than that, its coming along nicely. Your showing really good improvment.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the link to loomis ill check it out. and yes . .. yes i did sculpt that face from a squished sphere you are very perceptive.

i agree on what everyone says about the face.. i mosty just liked the face becasue it was ugly but stylized.. or maybe its because i easily get attached to my sculpts(oh no that couldnt be it:)?

anyways im going to be giving this fatty pants a full helmet so the face is going away, but my opinion still holds that ive seen far weirder faces in real life then this one ;)

heres one last shot of the face complete with a failed helmet test i did .. the helmet was not powerful enough to hide his messed up nose though! the helmet was sortof inspired from how crab armor is put together but in the end it probably just looks more like a conc shell. also didnt really fit as well as i had hoped with the rest of the armor.

aggregatehv6.jpg

aggregatexl8.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    helmet update..

aggregatevo2.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hmmm... I am not really a big fan of the bottom part of the helmet that you made.

I mean, while what you are making looks cool, its becoming more and more difficult to recognize what's what. By this I mean, all the detail you are making, while being cool; is making it kind of noisy and not aiding to add to the overall function of his suit.

Like in the last image I can't really tell for sure if its his front side or the back side of his head. Maybe if you did a paint over of your own to add more functionality it would help. If you have seen the movie Iron Man, I really like how his suit really seams believable and functional in the movie. You might wanna borrow some ideas from there.

Good luck, and keep at it!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    :P the bottom half of the helmet looks like really big droopy mechanical lips to me. hope you can find a good way of making the helmet work or just leave it like it was with his chin sticking out, its up to you. In terms of helping people identify what they are looking at, I would go back and check proportions and curves of the shapes eg.. the head could be more skull shaped in its silhouette.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i would leave it showing the face but for the game i'm working on it didn't make much sense to be in full body armor. The player is usually in an alien atmosphere, trying to dodge all manner of weapons.. so showing off your smile during all of this seemed a little unnecessary.

i am a bit confused on the helmet silhouette though as i thought that the changes to the helmet were an improvement actually. the reason for the current silhouette was to account for ears, and also electronic equipment in and around the ears. that's why the helmet comes out a bit right there. or is it something else about it that doesn't look right to you? i also tried to flatten out the helmet while still trying to maintain the ornate design somewhat. for this armor in general i wanted the armor ornate. this model is for the imperialist faction and most of the art we have for the levels is ornate, rich, flashy. that said im still trying to find a proper contrast of detail, no detail.

i will probably have another go at the lower half. The lower half was inspired by some Japanese armor a bit since they often have armor that often times look like an exaggerated face. anyway i guess the experiment failed, time to try for a new one! this helmet stuff sure is touchy, i think ive gotten the most criticism of it over everything else.

also i think i will remove a lot of those inset holes where theoretically screws are put in to keep the armor together, i suppose a few are ok but i probably went overboard on those.

thanks for the crits, its very informative.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so helmet experiment # ?

not sure if i should add little greebly details to the helmet or not .. maybe i should first try and delete a bit of greeble from the rest of the armor first ?

not detailing is very hard.. but at the same time its also quite fun working with these larger shapes :)

aggregatezs2.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    A small critique-
    I'd like to point out how the head is sitting on the shoulders, and what that conveys.

By raising the head up off the shoulders,giving his traps some armor, you'd essentially give the character more strength and confidence in his general posture. Which is something you may consider if making a sleek stealthy soldier type character (Looking at your robo-cop reference, notice how they gave him more of a neck so that his chin wasn't resting on his chest) Also this allows more flexibility in how dynamic a pose you can put him in while animating.

Shrugged shoulders and a lowered head, usually conveys signs of being tense, having low confidence, weakness,timidness, and even fear. Probably not what you were intending for in a soldier with such cool looking armor.
    It's a small adjustment, hopefully it's not too late in the modeling process to accept a critique like this
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stephenvyas : thank you very much for the insight, its also a very valid concern for poses when animating. so i tweaked the head *slightly* more up i dont know if you will be able to tell but it will allow some neck movement while at the same time keeping the tensed up look which i did infact want a bit (however the insecure stuff not so much hence raising the head a bit :)

also did another quick helmet sketch this time with more visor and less ghost in the shell faceplates .. so im also wondering which helmet people like better :)

aggregatelw5.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool your willing to take and work with observations with such a good attitude, Planaria.

Drawing your attention to one point, that was lost in translation from concept to model.
    With the 3d model, currently the flow of the silhouette grabs focus and throws it at his chin in a Dead 7 angle, however, the eyes are more appealing to have the attention go to, which is what we see in the concept..
    critique.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a lot of potential with this model, which is why I'm spending time commenting..
    Having a look at the legs a few things can be seen
    legs.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    to clarify the issue with the posture and proportions of the figure, it's time to bust out the Loomis:

props.jpg

See how the back of the calf extends farther out than the rest of the body in the back, but the tip of the toe is in line with the pec?

There is a curvature the body as a whole, that is distinctly absent in your figure, which is causing a torrent of issues ( including the granny butt! )

the gesture has to come before the form. even in static t-pose models that are going to be rigged. You can fix this model. Pose, stretch, and move the model and stop with the detailing altogether. Once, you nail the proportions, start re-sculpting, and you'll notice that a lot of your problems are gone.

Don't get me wrong, detailing is the biggity bizomb shiznat, and its fun as hell. But there is work to be done beforehand, or all the beautiful detailing in the world won't save the dude.

And if it seems like a lot of info to absorb, here are a couple of key phrases to help you along:

"GO GO GO"

"there is no try, there is only do"

"YOU CAN DO EEEET!"

"what do you mean you stopped for coffee?"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I would suggest to go with a heavy pass of flatten/smooth on localized areas, to erase out most of the details (yet keeping some 'in the corners' to maintain the overall feel of detailling).
    For instance at the moment the back view is more successful than the front view in my opinion since it has stronger areas of rest. You can see that very easily on robocops shoulders and pecs.

It also helps if you keep the underlying primitives as readable as possible (again, like on the robocop shoulder)
    (In short : less Z, more design!)
    Yes sometimes less is more. I couldn't agree more. But then I'm a huge fan of the TF2 art, where that reigns supreme. I'm one of the few that is not a big fan of the noise in games like UT3 and to an extent in GoW1 but less in GW2. I'm glad its finally starting to catch on and the days of noise just for the sake of using all the pixels in a 2048x sheet,and using a 2048x sheet because that's the max are almost over. Instead of actually doing a well thought out design with a 512x, 256x or the unthinkable 128x.

If not applied to this model (understandable) make sure to study it, and apply it to the next.
    http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4338&page=3
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/NPAR07_IllustrativeRenderingInTeamFortress2.pdf
    http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/14485/PC/Team-Fortress-2/Developer-Diary/Team-Fortress-2
    Obviously you don't have to take it this far, but there is a load of info to be gleamed. Such as a strong silhouette, well defined shapes and an almost minimalistic approach to modeling and textures. Remember you zoom into the poly level and spend most of your time there, players are going to see your model from across the map most of the time.

Adding too much detail is like doing a FPS weapon and never checking what it will look like from the player pers (looking down the stock/sight). Don't overlook the only thing the player is going to see for the sake of "art" or "pushing the tech envelop".

(added pretentious BS)
    Boundaries are NOT there to be pushed, they're there to keep the game from crashing. Every attempt should be made to help stay under those boundaries and make the game enjoyable. Not every artist has to be Maverick flying Mach 5 with his hair on fire. Besides its feels damn good to read "I was under the min spec for the game and bought it anyway, to my surprise it runs great!"
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i tried to rework the legs and also had to adjust a few other pieces... im still a bit unsure about it but this is as far as i get tonight, i also completely smoothed out the legs in preparation for another disaster with them and the detail on the legs was never that interesting anyway, the only part i kept were the boots since they are a definite feature of this model that i need to retain (jump jet boots).

so hope you enjoy his nakie legs, hopefully tomorrow or sometime ill be able to go back to adding in armor features to it. oh one last note, i also took yet another stab at nixing the granny butt.. what do you think of this? (don't mind the cellulite around the leg/butt connection)

and thanks for the help on this, learning things about anatomy i never realized in cold hard facts.

aggregatewn8.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The form and flow of his legs have been significantly improved. GJ
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right direction, here's a quick and dirty photoshop job to show some adjustments:

planariaFix2.jpg

It's certainly not perfect, and I tried to take the bulk of the armour into consideration, but you can see how he has some weight to his stance now, rather than looking like he's tilted forward. (which will still come through even after he's rigged and posed, so it's better to fix it first)

For future projects, if you're creating armour, and not cybernetic replacements, it's good to keep in mind that the armour sits over the form of the body, its doesn't replace it. Like the boots, the boots are going to be bigger and a little bulkier because the guy's foot and part of his leg have to fit inside of the structure.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sucks u spent all that time on it only to redo it, the good news is that this is a big improvement. try and keep that detail level at about the same frequency as the arms and it should be golden.

whip's second comment is good. if u have the time sculpt the armor as subtools over the basemesh, this will significantly improve the proportions and weighting of the armor, caus its one less thing to worry about.

-Woog
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, this is all a learning process for you (I am guessing) so its a really good experience regardless.

In future projects I would suggest you draw some simple orthographics before you get into all of this. Using Saving Loomis orthos like WhipSwitch did is a great place to start. It would probably take an hour max to draw the orthos, and you wouldn't fall into any of these proportion problems. In the long run, that one hour spent on orthos could save countless hours of tweaking.

Anyways, I like the new direction! Keep at it!
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first off thanks for all these wonderful tips again, there have really given me some new insights into anatomy ecpecially the stuff about legs..

its 6am and i think the legs are looking good.. heres a beauty render of the whats been kludged..

aggregateyw5.jpg

and here is a more technical shot *note* front view is perspective side view is ortho..

whipswitch, thanks for the drawover it really helped me get more of a grasp on proportion alignment, was something i never really thought about in terms of proportions so thank you.

i reduced the size of the head a bit, and made the feet bigger and also tried to line up the feet to look more underneath the player. i didnt however make the butt/lower torso area pulled down/bigger because once i got done with the legs things looked pretty O.K. but its 6am so i its hard to concentrate on the subtelties of proportion right now!

aggregatenv6.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *deleted double post*
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heashottu9.jpg

its about 700 tri might have to reduce its polycount even more depending on the polycount of the rest of the armor. but for now that's what it is.. i may also just have the most closeup lod level be relatively high, like 5000 polies and then have a very fast lod step down so only in the most closeup circumstances would it be that high.

anyways head is "done" there are still some thing to cleanup some normal map artifacts.. and then there is the dreaded texturing .. bah ! but yeah first piece done. now to move onto the chest?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly DONE ! .. (or is it ?)

phew i finally got this finished.. total polycount for the lowpoly is 4724 tri . I will have 3 or 4 lod levels to go with this the first lod level will probably go to 2500-3000 tri and then after that probably 700 then something like a cube for the last level .. the way lod levels work in the game engine is you have to put a pixel level threshold for them to change at which was actually something i was wondering what peoples thoughts on where.. meaning at what pixel size should it reduce lod .. and by how much?

aggregatefg5.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job on the details. human proportions are hard to do, im still learning as well.

as for LODs, they change based on how far the object is from the camera. i was told at work that a LOD should have 1/3 the verts of the LOD above it. and i wouldnt make the last one a box. last one should be a really lowpoly character, and then eventually it would disapear if you get far enough away from it. but it all depends on the engine. are you going to put this in game?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im pretty happy with these results .. but im curious what others think..

also the level is a test level thats why its so fugly :)

darkwar000023.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd do the test in an empty space with just a floor. The background is terribly distracting.
    And if you aren't willing to drop the red light altogether, then tone it way down at least, it shouldn't overpower the color of the texture. If all you have is normals at this point, I'd stick with a white light to test with. It'd prolly be a good idea to stick with white light well into the texturing process for a while too..

That's said, its great to see him making progress.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i hesitate to post this because its in tgea which is just horrible at rendering things but i think ive managed to wrangle some not so horrible results from it.

mostly looking for crits on the texture, or ideas .. this is one of my more serious attempts at texturing so im still learning quite a lot methinks.

core00000007.jpg

and one more

core00000009.jpg