Home General Discussion

Ai vs GNWC (Vancouver, Canada)

Hi there. Ill be graduating soon and I want to know which school (if anyone has an idea) would be better for me to go to? (with money being not an issue)
I want to get into the Video Game Industry(Obviously).

Art Institute
3D Modeling for Animation & Games

or

GNWC (Great Northern Way Campus) http://mdm.gnwc.ca/
Masters of Digital Media Program
*requires portfolio*

I want to know what the other can offer than the other can't.

Thanks in advance ^^

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    neither head over to Vancouver Film School.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    I went to Ai Burnaby, and have a lot of nasty things to say about it. I've kept in touch with a few instructors, and it sounds like there have been many improvements, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I hear the best things out of VFS and ThinkTank, as far as Vancouver goes; I haven't heard of GNWC.

If I have the time later, I'll try and put together something for you to give you an idea of what to expect out of the curriculum, and whether or not it will prepare you for the industry following graduation. (The short story is usually no, you'll have to supplement all your work with personal projects in order to ensure you're ready out the door.)
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx..uhm gnwc is pretty new thats prbly why u guys hvnt heard of it. yeah alot of people are saying ai will let u in cuz u have money.. but I'm also thinking when I graduate from that school.. if they would help me with my career..
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Ai's idea of you "being in the industry" is you being a QA tester as a bare minimum, which they're readily happy to count as a successful student story. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being a QA tester, but it's not exactly what you went to an art school for, now is it? They do this in order to pad their stats for an education to employment ratio, and they won't work very hard to get you a job as an actual artist.

They won't help you get a job as an artist. The games industry is a balance of 'it's what you know, and who you know', rather than the phrase's polarized cousin. Make sure you're comfortable getting in on your own merit before you think about relying on a PR employee doing the unspeakable, and getting you an interview for an artist position.
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thnx Uly.
    Yeah i need to think more deeper into this. If you want any information for GNWC
    heres the link. I also put it into my first post.

http://mdm.gnwc.ca/

chek out their student portoflios.. theyre amazing.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Dont go to AI!!!!!!!!!!! avoid going to that school at all cost.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I graduated from an Ai and I don't have many positive things to say about it unless you include "you get out what you put in" and even then, that's not really about the school. The Pittsburgh campus is really the only one I've heard anything great about and even then it was the Animation major.

make what you will of that
  • killingpeople
  • yuhMEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok Im tking Ai out of my option. Iv been readng a lot . and i think im going to narrow it to GNWC and VFS.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    honestly, in my opinion, what matters is that you're in an environment where the people around you dont settle for dogshit. the problem with smaller cheaper schools like AI is that you're more likely to be around people who don't give as much of a shit, and went somewhere cheaper. i have some friends who teach at ai and who are great. the guy who teaches 2d to the 3d folks there is fantastic, he's my good friend.

you just have to be able to find the highest quality standard of work and hit it, without making excuses. if you can do that.... you might not need school.

thats my opinion.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Sigh... I remember when I was asking these questions man.

Just make sure you really know what you want to do (or try and narrow the scope a bit) and make sure you're a person who loves to work their ass off, cause it'll show in your work.

Be careful of all this advertisement too... its called propaganda for a reason :P

Make sure you can do some interviews with these schools as well, even more then 1 would be good because my first interview with my school was cool... but I think I would have gotten a better feel if I did a second and third one.

Also try and meet up or talk to people that are going to be in your year (class) and see where their minds are, because if you're grouped up with a bunch of morons, shit ain't gonna be fun. I think thats what I like about my course (Game Dev) is the classmates are like family now, and they actually work hard for something.

Again though... be careful, make sure this is what you want, and MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. These schools aren't here to like... make you into a super artist in 3 - 2 years (it just doesn't work... its what you do after classes that counts man), they are a business of course, and whatever brings in money is a good thing (this is what I've experience anyways).

If I had a chance to choose my school over again, I would do so differently. I know a fair amount of good students have come out of VFS... never heard of your other school (the video was cheesy as shit, but it must be legit because the dudes were wearing cool hats... aug!).

Good luck man, you is gonna need it!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    if I discovered polycount before deciding to do a game course at university I woulda saved myself a lot of money :(
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I went to school in New Brunswick (and regret 90% of it...) but have worked in Vancouver for a few years and have met lots of people who have gone to a variety of schools in the area.

I'll second, or third or fourth the thoughts on Ai. Though, for me it's just all second hand information. The general consensus is that it's "not great" though I do know a few instructors there personally and have heard they've made improvements in the past few years.

I've never even heard of this GNWC before and if it's fairly new I'd expect that the school will have a LOT of kinks in the system that will only end up hurting you. If you're going to waste a shit load of money on one of the many schools around here, you might as well go to a place that has a reputation of some kind like Ai, Think Tank or VFS.

<Personal opinion, don't take this heart, I just like to rant sometimes>
    I'm pretty jaded about my schooling and am one of "those people" who honestly think your money is better spent on equipment to use at home. I'm pretty much self taught (thanks to places like Polycount) I've NEVER been asked about any of my schooling at any of the interviews I've had at the various companies I've worked for in the city. Other than the few prodigy students who went to VFS, practically every one I've talked to about their school experience is never happy. Don't go there expecting you'll get the same level of education you'd get at UBC or SFU but in video game art. It just won't happen. These schools hire people either a) with little experience or b) people in the industry with very little spare time to devote to students (obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, but this is the general feeling I have and many others share.) You'll get a brief introduction into a few popular programs, probably a generalized "traditional art" program...maybe do some sort of project to justify what you've learned like a game md or something...but to be honest with you, unless you're some kind of freak, the quality of this work isn't going to be enough to get a job into the industry. Like Uly said, you'll be spending lots of time working at home to supplement your actual school work.

Anyways, yeah, like mentioned before, the general feeling I have / have heard is that "you get what you put in." In my mind, there are more than enogh online resources and a VERY receptive community of game artists and mod groups to help you learn the ropes. I think all schools, like you mentioned about Ai, will let you in if you have money...of course they will, they're a business. Have you seen their commercials? :P

Don't buy into the idea of having to go to school just because "everyone else is." The schools aren''t structured the same and, possibly, an industry like this is more relevant to something like acting or writing where your portfolio and connections get you work...not a framed piece of paper you keep in your desk :)

Whatever your choice is, make sure you know what you're getting into before you sign on. Talk to people, especially students, about what they think. Faculty at the school will always tell you the good side of things, try to get the opinion of someone getting an education there.

Cheers,
    Gav
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I would say this, if the career advisors are so great at settling you in for a job then wouldn't they be mega rich already? Now I've met certain people and they do point out certain helpful advice but it's more important to think for yourself.

Not trying to stop you from going to school but thing is it's what you can really fill in terms of needs in the industry and exposure is what will get you in. It's how I sort of made my way in to my employer.

Even if you made a nice worthwhile portfolio once out of school, a lot of times people would rather look at what you have been doing lately or else you'd get pushed to the back end of the bus. For artists it is not a good time.

If you have to, I might suggest putting in some money for 2d foundation training at Emiliy Carr.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I graduated from the Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design in Vancouver, and lemme tell you, it is hard as HELL to find work when your portfolio consists of non-objective abstract expressionistic pieces.

Sorry Pliang, ECIAD has a wicked reputation, but is absolutely horrid for teaching (and none of your teaching will be to build skill, its to write artistic manifestos on deconstuction of modernity.

:/

It is however useful to get an actual degree, and have the freedom to work in the states. (It adds a LOT to your prospective job stability).

If you are hardcore into going to school, I'd recommend VFS, just based more on the quality of work that comes from there, and the quality of alumni I've had the pleasure of working with.

:)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    How in the hell have you guys not heard of the Masters of Digital Media program? It's being put on by all of the major schools in the area (SFU, UBC, Emily Carr and BCIT), and is pretty big and seemingly kick ass. It's an actual Masters in digital and new media, which is pretty damn cool. They've had their hands in a lot of the events going around Vancouver for a while now as well. Things like Will Wright speaking at their Campus during KRAZY.

Anyways, yuhmee, if you are able to get into and want to go the full way for the Masters (it'll take a bit longer) I'd say definitely go in that direction. We had an intern from there and I know a few of the people involved in other bits of the program. From what I've seen it's very well put together. The students are getting real, valuable experience, and they've been doing great at placing them for internships and such.

If you aren't into taking a bit longer to get the full Masters of course there are other options. Among the other stuff mentioned here I'd also say that Think Tank is a good choice. My girlfriend just got out of there, and I work with a couple of other graduates. From what I can tell it is a pretty damn solid school, with nice small classes and some quality teachers.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    They never heard of it most probably because it hasn't be around that long and maybe there aren't a lot of grads, or good grads.

Anyway, if you're learning 3d skills, as someone who went to VFS, taught at VFS and a few other schools in town the best bang for your buck is Think Tank.

VFS, while a solid course and a good history has over blown tuitions for what your actually getting from it, where as Think Tank is a smaller school and still has some more things to work out has a really similiar education to VFS for less and the grads I see coming out of there are solid if they put in the work.

Also smaller classrooms = more hands on time, something VFS has been lacking for years now as they pack in 30+ a class with a skeleton staff.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I went to AiPittsburgh, it has it's issues, but it really is....oh you know what....

"going to school is what you get out of it..."
    "you will not be handed a job because you have a piece of paper..."
    "your portfolio is all that matters..."
    "go to an art school with a focus on fine arts..."
    "learn 3D by forum trolling and picking up tutorials..."
    "the industry changes every few years, and the real meat of what you learn in school will be out dated..."
    "there are countless different ways to get into the industry...do the research and pick the one that suits your learning style..."
    ...the list goes on.

Can we get a sticky about this? ><

I vote for:
    "What Polycount Thinks About Art Schools"
    "Polycount: An Art School Compendium"
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    MDM sounds cool but it is new and pricey. On the other hand they've been targeting it at grads of other schools so one would think it might be a little more useful than the average program.

Of course, I've never heard of any type of "higher learning" institute that isn't ran like absolute dogshit so nothing is guaranteed. Actually, considering it's got contributors from every major university around here can only be a bad thing. Too many cooks spoil the brew especially when all the cooks are idiots. And because it's way more expensive than other places around here I would expect it to be filled with rich Taiwanese kids sent over by their parents rather than people actually interested in art (not to say that rich taiwanese people can't be great artists too - I've met some and maybe you are one yourself! - but most I've met have had "BUSINESS BUSINESS BUSINESS" hammered into their head from birth and no passion for anything they do which doesn't make for a great working environment).

I've been going to the School of Interactive Arts and Technology at SFU for a few years and it's really just an excuse to spend time building up my own skills. They do very little in terms of actual teaching and what they do teach is very basic. I think that's really applicable anywhere you go. No one can teach you to be amazing, right? That's built up through practice. Use assignments as an opportunity to spend time practicing, and any "place of learning" will be useful for you. Heck, I just got a game I did on my own in 6 weeks into Time Magazine's Top 10 Games of 2008. SFU didn't teach me to do that, but I took advantage of the time SFU gave me to do it.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    One thing to try is look at their reels and portfolios of the graduating classes. A lot of them have contact info so you can contact the grads yourself and see what they feel they got out of it.

Don't just contact the guys you think were awesome, look at the not-so superstars as well, see if they felt they got their money's worth.

And if I may use a bit of a blanket statement, from my observations from my own program that I went through in Ottawa, superstars of programs are almost always awesome artists to begin with, they don't find themselves in a 2-3 year program, they already have clear goals and just want the last bit of guidance to make themselves even better.
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    What I've began to feel is that the whole school experience isn't about learning from the teachers, I mean sometimes you will get a really good instructor who will be able to open some new doors for you, however most of the actual learning is done completely on your time at the end of your fingers. I've started to feel that is is more about the people you interact with while at the school. I've already had a ton of opportunities to check out studios in the area, meet people currently working in the positions i'm looking into moving towards. It's really gratifying when you spend 6 months working your ass off and someone notices... I'm sitting at the 6th month half way point in my current course and have already had several offers come to me. If you have the money, I'm sure you'll be able to learn something, maybe not form the instructors, but definitely from your peers in class. At the end of the day from what I've been able to gather, a lot of this industry is about the people you know; school was just a really easy way to get a foot in the door.

I doubt this really will move you either way, but it's just what I feel I've gotten out of the last little bit. If you want to work in the industry it isn't hard, just don't be lazy.