Home General Discussion

Sydney

godlike master sticky
Offline / Send Message
Neox godlike master sticky
My girlfriend might be going to do her Master of Arts in Sydney and asked if i would come with her if it really would happen, so i thought i might just ask here if someone knows interesting studios in Sydney or Surrounding, i don't know anything of the australian market.
And how complicated will it be to work there, heard of something like a point system to apply and artsy jobs don't have many points.
before really getting into thinking of it i'd like to read something of dudes living there, knowing how it works, maybe also intruders from good old europe with their experiences :)

Replies

• achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    sydney's preety cool - you've got the new 'dr.d' studios opening up whom are doing the next happy feet production - and many others like Team Bondi, thats's about as much i can think off the top of my head - actual residents of syd should be able to help more
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    other studios in syd: micro forte and konami australia
    for further info - check out http://www.tsumea.com for data on jobs in auz and nz

- i was also thinking, if you have a rounded technical proficiency in modelling, animation and all that jazz - you could look into actual teaching/tutor positions at the sydney tek colleges they have there (like Quantm or AIE, or even sydney uni arts)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    naaaa teaching always was just a sidekick of my work, it's ok to do it once in a while but i want to create on my own not creather other dudes creating their stuff :P

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Sydney's not a great place for trying to find games development work. Microforte don't have the best reputation and it sounds like things aren't going so well at Team Bondi. Theres a Take 2 studio in Sydney according to the Devmap, but I don't have any idea what sort of stuff they'd do there.
    In Australia, you main game development meccas are Melbourne and Brisbane. Theres Irrational in Canberra which would seem to be a good studio for someone of your talent. Its a fair way from Sydney, but closer than Brisbane and Melbourne.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    yeh sydney is not the hotspot for game development. melbourne or brisbane is the way to go.
  • Snight
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    Well you also might want to do some scouting of the rental situation before you make any plans (i hear the vancacy rates of rental properties in some suburbs is like 1-2%).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'll just be echoing more of what the rest of the Australian crew have mentioned about Melbourne and Brisbane being the two cities for Game Development.
    I've lived in Sydney for a short period of time and during my time there, I really disliked it. Mind you this was many many years ago, so things may have changed and improved since then. The traffic is a mess, it just seems like such chaos in Sydney.
    Bit of trivia, Sydney is the gay capital of Australia :D
    Good luck with what ever you decide to do, mate.

-caseyjones
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Sydney is pretty rubbish, don't know about work, but a poor place to live. Cost of living is enormous and not getting any better. Canberra is also rubbish. Melbourne rocks, is a much better sydney, and I have only been to brisbane once or twice, but it seems nice.

Whatever, come live in Perth, its fucking awesome (and I'm a Victorian, so I am not biased!)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are there any game studios at all in Perth? It's a lovely place, but not so good for Neox unless he wants to become a fisherman.