Home General Discussion

Resident Evil 5 360 demo - Anybody playing?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
God damn, this is both ownage and annoying. The game itself is great, but flawed.

I dont know what to think so far... Graphics are amazing, but old school... I cant help but think of everything and say "but..." at the end...? Its like, the graphics, they rock, but how much longer can capcom get away with stretching such low res textures over the floor? The gameplay, its awesome, but how many more times are they gonna just make the enemy run at you? The controls, much better now, but still, why cant I aim while amoving?

At least the demo is coop on and offline, so I'll try that in a bit but still...

Anybody else feel this way?

Replies

• SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was only a Japanese Demo initially. With a US and PS3 version to follow at some point.
    But I guess... not?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You guessed correctly... But you can download it online, burn to disk and play. 100% legal, too.

Or if you have a Japanese account, download that way.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    How can you play burned games without a modded xbox? Unless you're using a devkit or something.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Erm, its a demo chap. Everybody can download and burn demos to play on 360 lol.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I thought the eye textures were especially low-res.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats funny, really. Why dont you go jump into a bath with Cheap alert and suck off some low poly goblins?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    actually all trolling aside .. that got a good chuckle out of me .. i totally wasnt expecting it.. apologies in advance odium :)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm betting the textures will get sharper in the final product. I agree it would be nice if you could shoot while moving, at least from the hip, but I was glad to hear they gave us at least the fps style movement controls. It seems they want to keep it somewhat survival horror style with "turret mode".
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    its is a lot of fun, i downloaded it with a japan account, and played it last night and this morning....and at lunch from work! GOD....its so good. Plays just like RE4 and has some nice added tweaks...though the AI for the chick is def retarded....really retarded.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lot of fun to play, co-op seems great but pleaseeee aim and move lol
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this demo on xbox live?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yes, but they region locked it now so even with a japanes account you can't get it anymore.

I really liked it, felt like RE4 on steroids, looks gorgeous too
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are people asking for aim and move?

That's like asking for guns in mario or something, this isn't a third person shooter, it's action survival horror.

Also seriously odium don't be such a poor sport, you're not going to live that down for a long time.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Aim + move = a staple of shooter mechanics. I put the controller down for RE4 when I realized I couldn't shoot & strafe.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Turret mode gives you a sense of urgency and desperation. It heightens fear because you know you have limited options. You have to make a choice at the point.
    Do you try and take out the zombies (increasing the likelihood that you'll get attacked)?
    Or do you run (know that more may come your way while delaying the inevitable fact that you have kill those zombies at some point shortly)

It's a totally different kind of mechanic from other 3rd/1st person shooters.

All other RE games have had this mechanic. Very limited options in terms of combat added on top of limited supplies and a very dark and frightening atmosphere.

Giving the player much more ammo/items/weapons have considerably increased the action aspect of the game and to some degree the fun.

But they couldn't have gone and given you full movement and aiming because I think that would have taken away what the franchise has done so well. Once you include simultaneous free movement/aiming then it detaches you from the game a bit. A larger potion of your attention gets diverted to concentrating on more frantic movements to keep yourself safe. It isn't as frightening knowing quick-twitch controls can save you.

It'd be a bit like Left 4 Dead. I didn't think that game was that scary at all. Simply because I had a great sense of confidence knowing that I could just dodge my way through zombies if I got in trouble (through many many years of Q2 and Q3 playing). And I kind of did. Quick twitch controls meant that I could run in, slaughter zombies left and right without ever feeling that there were serious repercussions if I fucked up.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    i uploaded the demo on demonoid if any one has an account there
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Aim + move = a staple of shooter mechanics. I put the controller down for RE4 when I realized I couldn't shoot & strafe.

Then you missed out on a phenomenal game.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »

Yeah man, you're totally right. *I* quit playing half life 2 because it was first person, i mean, come on, being able to see yourself is a staple of third person shooter mechanics.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Just finished playing through, seemed pretty cool. the environments look fantastic, nice to see some quality linear style environs rather than the mass replicate/quality over quantity of the recent rash of open world games.

the texture work is really good, normals dont show up that well though it seems, but the overall impression if great, has a palpable feel to it. the controls do feel a little awkward at 1st but you get used to them, its kinda disorenting not having a reticle to aim with, just the laser sight but that adds to the frantic feel of it i suppose. will def be grabbing this one when it comes out.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I understand a bit what adam is getting at, i actually read this and it suddenly dawned on me again that you cant move and shoot in the RE games... man its been that long.

Fear shouldnt come from hinderance though, by that i dont mean ive shot myself and im limping hinderance but more ... this makes it harder to aim/dodge. Atmosphere has always got me more scarred than the shock itself, f.e.a.r did that well... when you werent doing the run and gun corridor stuff.

Guess this aint the place for a debate about gameplay mechanics but who cares \o/
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    What SouL said.

Also if you have run and shoot then the zombies and baddies would have to change AI and attack patterns and quite literally the entire style of the franchise.
    It's the same play mechanic that has been there from the start, only now the camera is over the shoulder instead of fixed in a corner.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is looking sooo nice, and smooth! Rather hard tho, and it's not very fun to be stuck in a room right at the start. RE4s beginning was much more fun I think...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    In past RE games not running and shooting was fine, because there was only so many. In RE4, you had large spaces with 3 or 4 max on you at once.

So in RE5, explain how it "Still works" when you have a 10x10 foor space with 30 zombies all running right at you, while a massive thing that takes way to much ammo to the face is after you, and your dumb AI slut partner is asking for help so often you have to go through so many "real time" menu clicks just to help her...?

Come on... I'm one of the biggest RE fanboys around, so much so I have things bought that I really shouldn't. But saying this games perfectly fine and doesn't need to evolved is silly imho. They changed the camera from static to this and it was great. But now they need to change a few more things...

Oh and this demo wasn't scarey at all, in the slightest. Is this whats to become of RE? An action game of sorts...?
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am surprised at how amazing it looks and how well it runs. I think the textures and lighting detail look great, it has such good texel density compared to a lot of recent games.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Had better luck when I switched the controls to RE4 style. Had it rough for a while till I realized I needed to get out of the house. Game looks great and plays just as good. I could maybe see them adding in running/gunning, but make your aim go all to crap like you would in real life when being chased by zombies.