Home General Discussion

game artist job interview - how to dress?

kakikukeko
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys,

My job interviews are getting close now, and I was wondering what kind of clothes to wear?
Would a pair of jeans & sneakers be fine (of course not too grungy :) )
I guess a full suit is a bit to much for an artist position..
Or in between then?

Thanks!

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just dress nicely. If the jeans are nice and the shoes are decent, go for it. Nice shirt too. Don't bother dressing to the nines, especially for an artist role.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It *DOES* depend on the company. I'd never go in a suit, not even to an interview. Dress smart, but not in a suit. When you are there for your interview you will likely see what others are wearing.

On the whole, must of us are scruffy bastards who go 3 days without shaving (and thats just the women).
  • Farfarer
    A nice pair of trousers/jeans and a smart-ish shirt seems to be about right.

It's probably more important that you don't smell offensive, rather than look offensive.

But don't turn up in a suit.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Suits only if you're on TV.

Real point: For most of the time, be casual in the sense of nice shirt and jeans, maybe the Polycount getup but I'd try not to be obvious. When I went for mine I tried not to look like a slob and got a haircut.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    to echo what everyone else has said, a clown suit. i kid i kid, i usually wear a button up shirt and a pair of good jeans, theyr not hiring you based on your clothes, go there and blow em away with your art and they wont notice the dirty splotches on ur shoes..
  • Eric Chadwick
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If you're the nervous type who sweats easily under pressure wear something comfortable (but not too comfortable!). Visible underarm sweat stains not lookin good. Talking about yourself and selling your abilities to a room full of pros ain't easy.

I'd go business casual instead, as opposed to jeans and sneakers. I'd want to give the impression right away that I'm ready to talk business, pimp my skills, and deserve more than what they're initially going to offer you pay wise.

If it were a phone interview, sure wear anything you want or not. But make sure you're ready to answer when tough questions come up (you'll likely be in a conference call with room full of pros on the other line). Hesitation and awkwardness over the phone may net you a rejection response.

Good luck.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    <obligatory suggestion for stormtrooper costume>

Seriously though, just make sure your stuff is clean and you don't smell bad.
  • EarthQuake
    More important than what to wear and who you give handy's to is what to ask.

Remember, you're interviewing them as well. So research the company, and ask as many questions as you can, ask questions that you know the answer to. You want to seem eager to learn about the studio and the process. The worst thing you can do is make the interview one-sided and only answer they're questions.
  • Mark Dygert
    Be comfortable. The last thing you need is your cloths throwing you off your game.

Personally I've nailed every interview I've worn a bowling shirt and khakis (not pleated) to. Also don't forget what your shoes say about you. My personal preference is for a pair of these (90% of the time) or these (10%) if I'm really trying to make a statement.

And yes flipping the interview around works great. It puts you more at ease because they are doing more of the talking, you find out info and for some reason people perceive people who, listen more then they talk, to be smart and capable. So any chance you can keep yourself from babbling incoherently, take it.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Look for a company photo on the companies website. Check out how the employees are dressed, and go a small step above that. Most onsite interviews are simply to see if you will fit well into their work environment.
  • Gameloft-Mtl
    Offline / Send Message
    Gameloft-Mtl polycounter lvl 8
    think of it this way: Would you prefer to be the "leased dressed" person there?

As a recruiter I would suggest this:
    -Be yourself but do be careful about somethings
    - Shave/Hair kept
    - Clean clothes
    - no hangover face
    - Shower!!! (too many candidates smell bad)

Belive it or not I have seen people come to interviews that looked like they had slept in their clothes and weren't fully awake.

the great thing about gaming is that there isnt a formal dress code. But if this is the dream job you are looking for, why not take a little effort and making sure you are presentable?

most of all be comfortable in what you are wearing

Also very important, and Ive seen people mention it:
    - Research the company
    *too many people tell me "well i don't know, i haven't had time to check your site". thats usually a real bad start there since its pretty much one of the first question asked
    - Ask question about the company, why should you work for them. But use some tact (dont be cocky).
    - Be prepared, either for a test, or have an extra copy of your resume/portfolio

Avoid:
    - Sweat pants / sports gear / sport jerseys
    - Dirty clothes
    - Beanies/hats/sport caps (please oh please avoid cowboy hats)
    - jeans/pants/shirts with holes (yeah it happens)
    - if you bring a Ipod/Cd player please put it in your bags/pockets before the interview
    - close your cell phone. if it rings flush it, dont answer, thats a direct insult to the recruiter/manager there
    - dont have a smoke before your interview, its a really bad smell in a small interview room

hope this helps!
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    lots and lots of pink spandex...you have to represent your package in a way that is non threatening, but shows off your goods

Good luck K...you've got awesome work man
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    Belive it or not I have seen people come to interviews that looked like they had slept in their clothes and weren't fully awake.

Very important! Especially if the company flew you in and you're jetlagged.

I was part an interviewing team once, and we flew in this Sheridan grad for an animation lead position. His portfolio checks out but the morning of his interview the dude was sad looking. Zero enthusiasm. Not sure whether he was playing the less-talk-is-more strategy or his dog has just died.

Post interview, one guy mentioned this observation during evaluation. So the dude lost out on what should have been an easy process for him. All he had to do was show positive vibes.
  • maltuna
    pimp this. you will get hired.

tuxedoshirt.jpg
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    maltuna wrote: »
    pimp this. you will get hired.

true story
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget to bring a Lobster. For luck.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 19
    remember "the tighter your pants, the better your chance"
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Imagine if you turned up wearing the same outfit as the interviewer, you would just die of

embarassment.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    - Beanies/hats/sport caps (please oh please avoid cowboy hats)
    - jeans/pants/shirts with holes (yeah it happens)

think i wore all of those ;-)
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Dress as Che Guevara and tell the interviewers you hate being told what to do.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Damn vig thats some ugly shoes here!
    hehe

I'd say dress with whatever you plan to wear on the job!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    speedos, what about wearing speedos in an interview? tight and black that - surely can't be wrong?
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I heard about wearing a red dress which shows lot of cleavage and proper brushed hair and pretty nails would do the trick.
    So far I had no luck with it...

Maybe it only works for women...
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    A French maids outfit always does the trick, maybe throw in a stormtroopers helmet too if your ugly.
  • Michael Knubben
    How many of you wear khakis on a daily basis? Polo-shirts? Seriously, it's not hard to appear to be well-dressed among gaming enthousiasts, don't worry so much. Just don't wear a suit.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I turned up to my interview in a t-shirt, skinny jeans and a pair of Nike high-tops (Its what I wear on a daily basis, except it mix it up my Nikes :D). I actually got props for my shoes by one of my interviewers (and we still talk about and pimp our kicks to this day).
    We hired a guy who came in for an interview in ripped jeans and a sleeveless t-shirt (not that I would recommend showing up dress like that), so as long as you're presentable and smell nice, you'll be fine. Its all going to come down to your art, enthusiasm and your personality.
    Good luck, dude.

-caseyjones
  • Azreality
    what about a tie?
    nice slacks, button up shirt, nice shoes, and a tie with "character"?

I'm personally a big fan of ties and dress up, but if the trend seems to be casual I guess I better change up! ;)
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    My buddy shows up to interviews in corset, hose and heels. he's not had problems getting hired. Wear what you're comfortable with.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Azreality wrote: »
    what about a tie?
    nice slacks, button up shirt, nice shoes, and a tie with "character"?

I'm personally a big fan of ties and dress up, but if the trend seems to be casual I guess I better change up! ;)

When you say 'a tie with "character"', do you mean a comedy tie?

Seriously, wash yourself, chuck on jeans and a tshirt. An interview is usually to see what you are like as a person. If you rock up looking like a maths teacher people will laugh at you and call you a paedophile after the interview.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it's not difficult really

do not wear skinny jeans and a waistcoat. Actually, no, scratch that - DO wear skinny jeans and waistcoat, just so we know you're the sort of person that wears skinny jeans and a waistcoat and we won't run the risk of hiring you cos you're clearly a twat

if you're predisposed to wearing a hat, take the bloody thing off indoors

just ... just ... just use your common sense, fercrissakes.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    On your body:
    32T03BPNK_normal.jpg

On your head:
    bachelorette-dot-com_1962_7_textmedium.jpeg

On your feet:
    57643.jpg

THE JOB IS YOURS FOR SURE
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I think we can all safely say this thread and it's topic have been beaten to a bloody pulp.

Consensus: Wash your shit, dont be a jackass.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ah yes ... "wacky"

ohh, the wacky ones. They're great, aren't they? They surely do stand out from the crowd. Which is what counts, isn't it. Make yourself known.

There is nothing better you can possibly be, in an interview and in a paid job, than wacky.
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I love how threads like this turn in 35 posts of rediculous shit...seriously brightened the end of my day, thanks guys. XD

I think all of my usual suggestions have been covered and Slum said it in the best way possible.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man, this thread brought the lulz, along with being quite informative as well. I especially like that penis tiara advice, gonna try this one soon.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    [ame]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SUJwjM6d3Yg[/ame]

As much I like this movie, there are some things that are reflected to this thread.

But again, don't dress like a slob and try looking cleaned and ready to work.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    When you say 'a tie with "character"', do you mean a comedy tie?

Seriously, wash yourself, chuck on jeans and a tshirt. An interview is usually to see what you are like as a person. If you rock up looking like a maths teacher people will laugh at you and call you a paedophile after the interview.
    QFT!

-caseyjones
  • Azreality
    but hey my math teacher rocked!!!
    guess I was refering to a tie that looks good on said person... but flashy, nerdy, or bold tie was my example. I get your point though... not too much character (not my intent to wear a poo bear tie)

cheers
  • benclark
    I just wore a casual shirt, jeans and a clean pair of trainers for my interview, and that seemed fine. Rick couldn't take his eyes off me the whole time
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    benclark wrote: »
    I just wore a casual shirt, jeans and a clean pair of trainers for my interview, and that seemed fine. Rick couldn't take his eyes off me the whole time

He was wearing makeup and a pushup bra.
  • Azreality
    He was wearing makeup and a pushup bra.

sexy! :poly142: lol