Home General Discussion

Xmas time = New 24" monitor!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Parnell polycounter lvl 18
So close to a year ago I was looking into getting a new monitor. In the end I opted to hold out and wait a bit. Now with Xmas around the corner I'm ready to dump the CRT and get a LCD monitor.

I've been looking at the Dell 24" Ultrasharp 2408WFP. This would be used for 3D modeling, texturing, day-to-day use and gaming (both 360 and PC).

Some sites say this is the best for your buck 24" LCD...then some user reviews say this is a steaming pile of shit.
Just curious if some peeps here can bring light to the matter as I need to get the wife the xmas list soon!
Thanks
B

Replies

• sicsided
    this isn't a direct review source, but here is a good article, with links to each one

http://www.gizmag.com/the-top-50-best-selling-lcd-monitors/10433/
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i ahve a 24'' monitor now too so awesome! i cant stand the 17'' monitors they gave at my work :P
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i opted for two 22" at work, but a few of the guys chose the Dell 24". They are sharp!
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I have the UltraSharp 2208FP, essentially the same thing but a tad smaller. It's totally rad, and is great for art and gaming.
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Thanks guys!
    B
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I have a 24 inch at home, and thought it was good. But at work I have a 30 inch, and now when i sit at home it just feels soooooo small. The 30 inch has a nice refresh rate, and I think they aren't too bad for the price.

Spark
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya i'd love to go 30", however I think the wife would nix it if i put it on the list.
    B
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    how much do 30'' usually go ofr?
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    If price was no object, this is probably the monitor you are looking for....

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101631

The control panel at the bottom is amazing actually...
  • Farfarer
    I've got that Dell 24", I use it for my consoles and it's pretty sweet. But I found it retina-searingly bright for day-to-day PC use, even at it's lowest brightness setting.

I'd really recommend the Apple Cinema HD 23", which is what I use on my PC. Fantastic monitor, but it's DVI-I only, so you can't feed any consoles into it :/
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the 2408wfp is what i have and i do like it. it is quite bright and the default color settings are too intense for graphics work imo but other than that ... picture is good allround and it has loads of connectivity and the pivot function. not sure how other screens are in this regard.

it is not one of the fast and shite TN panels tho so not sure how it would fare in gaming with high contrast images.
  • greenj2
    I've got the Dell 2408WFP too, at home and at work. I've never had a problem with either and being able to hook a console up to them as well as your PC is very handy.
  • EarthQuake
    I would really pay attention to which dell monitors you're looking at, dell has some CHEAP 08 models, they are mostly all SHITE TN panels with terrible view angles. Ultrasharp used to mean a quality MVA/PVA panel but not anymore. I would look for an 07 model if you can, or research the panel types before you throw down a big chunk of change on one of these things(or you know, look at it in person and see if the viewing angles are a problem =P).

Its funny to see people using 22" monitors here, all they are is 20" monitors with bigger pixels, you've got to go up to 24" to actually get a better resolution than 1680x1050. OMG DOT-PITCH. Also there are virtually(absolutely? i couldnt find a single one) NO 22" monitors that aren't crappy TN displays with bad view angles. You people call yourselfs artists? =D

Anyway the 2408WFP should be a VA panel, just watch out for the E248WFP and the like of cheaper Ultrasharp monitors.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, dells have always been good to me. tbh though the 30" is THE absolutely best upgrade i've ever gotten for my computer, bar none, like once u hook it up u'll feel like all the way up till then you've been peering through a key hole, i'd just save up and get one of those, they have regular discounts and coupons on the dell site all the time so you can usually get it for much cheaper than the regular price. only thing is you have to make sure your video card can handle the resolution, they operate at 2560x1600 and i think only like the top cards support that, for nvidia anything beyond 8800 will probably work.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I bought a dell 2408WFP and i ended returning it to dell, too bad for what i expected. Coming from a CRT, you may be so disappointed as me. The dell mounts a s-pva panel and it presented so many bugs for the european version. It had like flashes and not the standard refreshing mode of lines going down. This is something very bad for our eyes, and something you easily can check with a digital camera.

monitor_002.jpg
    Exagerated noise...
    monitor_003a.jpg

I don't know how to post videos, so here's a link with a video showing the flickerings compared with another Dell monitor (4:3 19") http://blog.whiteblaizer.com/?p=183

I'm looking for a good monitor too, but i don't see anything i like. Almost all tft monitors have image noise, you can't have a plain color in photoshop. Banding, imput lag, dead pixels, etc. is something terrible, i have bought 2 24" lcd monitors, and all them were returned :D.

I'm still working with my 22" flat CRT (1280x1024) monitor because i don't see anything better with images.

Some friends have recommended me the new hp lp2475w but i have my doubts because i can't buy it yet (in spain)

The best features: h-ips panel, good colors after calibration, ARC (the three modes), not so much imput lag, etc.

The base is ugly! this one can be pivoted too, portrait windows hehe
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-hp-lp2475w.html

To buy a tft is a headache!
  • EarthQuake
    NEC makes some IPS LCD's that seem to be rated pretty well, i dont know about 24" tho, and you'll pay out the ass to get one as well.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hehe, i know, but they NECs are very expensive as you said :D

The hp lp2475w is around 550 euros, and the 24"-25,5" Necs around 1100 euros. Almost the double :D.
  • solar
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Hazro also do some nice monitors, haven't got one though so can't vouch for them. TFT central have some reviews. NEC are pretty much the best if you can stretch the budget though. NEC 24in compared to the dell here.
  • mLichy
    Just make sure to get one with a high resolution obviously, and as low refresh time as you can for a good price, as well as high contrast. I would rather have a 19" with 2ms response and 10:000-1 contrast over a bigger screen with worse specs.

I have a 22" right now with i believe 2ms response, 1680x1050 res and 3:000-1 dynamic contrast ratio, but the colors could definately be alot better. But this costs me like 200 or less so.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'm surprised to read praises about NEC stuff. we have shitloads of them at work and i found them rather... subpar (these are not TN panels either). is this goodness only related to certain models, perhaps? because my LG's and the dell at home seem vastly better than what i have to put up with at work. ;)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, newegg has an awsome deal on a sceptre 24", for 199.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112011

And no, I don't work for Newegg, but I have 2 of these and love them. Only problem is when I bought them they cost around $400.00 each!