Home General Discussion

Gearbox layoffs..?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Anyone affected and looking for a job, feel free to link your portfolio here. We'll get you back up and on your feet in no time.

Replies

• kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really sorry for everyone who was affected by this... like Adam said, post your work here and your contact info and we will hook you up!

ps: woah i havent posted here in like 3 years

Ninja Admin Edit: Ya Dan, what the fuck?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    How many were affected? I don't see any news on Kotaku or anything.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Damn guys, sorry to hear this. You'd think a larger studio like Gearbox with some solid titles would be able to endure the hard times. Hopefully Microsoft continues doing well :|
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    How many were affected? I don't see any news on Kotaku or anything.

rumor is around 25..... They had a wave of layoffs a couple weeks back that did not hit news routers as well.

Dallas is becoming a sad place now with within the past year: No more Ensemble, No more Paradigm, Ritual bought then those guys later laid off, Gearbox layoffs. Oh when will it stop?!?!?!?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Jesus. Ouch. Guess the poor sales of B.I.A. is really hurting them.

Feel free to pm me your portfolios. We are always looking for talented folks. Even if we aren't hiring so to say we may have spots open.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    How come Dallas is being hit so hard?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ensemble and Paradigm are due to the fact of the publishers that own them reorganizing the way things work.

Ritual was due to a mumbo jumbo buy out then realized they did not want to break into that part of the market so let the Ritual team go.

Gearbox... well I will let someone who has or does work there shed some light on that....

All I can say is I am glad I work for an independent developer!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Were looking for people here at monolith too so drop me a line if your interested in moving up into the northwest.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    it's me, I'm the kiss of death.....who's next?!?!?! anyone? anyone?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Were looking for people here at monolith too so drop me a line if your interested in moving up into the northwest.

Too close to adamBrome ........
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that sucks.... I get worried when all these companies are laying off people left and right or just going under. I'm on contract now so it's like... what's going to happen when that's done..

Looking for people at Monolith, nice :). I keep checking up on the website, but never see anything really for 3D artists. Working on something like F.E.A.R or Condemned would be awesome.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLichy wrote: »
    Working on something like F.E.A.R or Condemned would be awesome.

QFT!

I love the condemned series!

Sucks for more GBX ppl! :thumbdown:
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Too close to adamBrome ........

Nahh, and besides hes scared of me. I think he fears the wrath of my mighty tongue.

Were looking for senior character artists, art leads (character and animation) and engineers (all kinds).
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I was laid off during the first round in October. I'm sure everyone will find something, its taken me almost a month to get responses.

I've just been devoting my time to portfolio during the day and Gears 2 at night :D
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atrocity polycounter lvl 17
    Wow it's been a long time since I have been here. In fact my post count is more than likely -6 or something in that range. I was one of the 26 who got laid off yesterday, and I am looking around trying to figure out where I'm going. This is my current portfolio and my resume needs some updating.

http://atrocity.vertexninjas.com/
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atrocity wrote: »
    Wow it's been a long time since I have been here. In fact my post count is more than likely -6 or something in that range. I was one of the 26 who got laid off yesterday, and I am looking around trying to figure out where I'm going. This is my current portfolio and my resume needs some updating.

http://atrocity.vertexninjas.com/

Chuck,
    Best of luck on the search! I have forwarded your stuff to our design leads, I think we are looking for LDs and are in the area (Lewisville).
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much, greatly appreciated. My resume is a little out to date because it does not have Borderlands on it, but I'll have it updated tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again :D
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you land jobs quickly.

We'll be ramping up in January, also Seattle area. Seems the industry here is doing pretty well. (knock on wood).
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    sounds like gearbox just wanted too much.. so many teams and games, crazy.

Hope everybody finds a new work!
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I am going to apply at ID and TR tonight or tomorrow. I just got my site and resume up to date. I would love to go to Seattle but it's a shame the woman is not too big on that :(
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Layoffs are never easy. I've been laid off from my past 3 previous jobs consecutively. But if experience has tought me anything, it's that what brings you down in the short term only makes you stronger in the long term.

I would like to spin the upside and say congratulations to those who are getting laid off. Congratulations to new beginnings ahead of you. New friends, new contacts, new experiences, and not to mention the much needed vacation you have right now.

Good Luck to all affected.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I would have to agree with you Ephesians, for the 1st week i was kinda depressed wondering what I could of done better but now I'm like eh whatever!, new people to meet, new projects to work on.

Plus I'm enjoying time off to learn zbrush and some other tools I rarely got to use :)
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Man lee you were cut!!! you've only been in dallas about half a year right man that blows ass!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if the average pay is going to go down because of all these layoffs as people become more desperate for work....
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Can someone who got laid off from Gearbox please tell me....is Aliens: Colonial Marines going to be OK? I don't need details, I would just like a general evaluation of the health of the project. I hear about all these people getting laid off, and I feel for you guys. I've been there, I was actually in that situation this year. I hope you all find good places to work where you will be creatively fulfilled.

But at the same time, I'm also concerned about the project your company was working on. I'm a rabid Aliens fan, and Aliens: Colonial Marines pretty much sounded like an Aliens fan's dream come true. Monolith is one of the only companies that has done the franchise justice in an interactive medium. (no offense to the guys at Rebellion) And Gearbox just seemed like such a good fit. Not only are you guys known for making solid games, you also have experience coordinating squad-based play effectively. Throw some xenomorphs and space stations into the mix, and you've got a match made in heaven.

I'm not asking anyone to break NDAs, but what can be said?
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aliens was not dropped. But there were a lot of changes because how many people got laid off.
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir, that is a good question btw. I guess we will find out shortly.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    The junior wages might go down, but there are still so many companies, who have been looking for seniors for ages and didn't find somebody...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm sorry guys! :(
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    I wonder if the average pay is going to go down because of all these layoffs as people become more desperate for work....

Could be. I think people's asking price might drop a bit when jobs are scarce.

I'm worried that a decent amount of the lost positions will need to be filled at some point, but plenty might end up being filled by overseas outsourced work. The industry is getting much more used to the idea of outsourcing big chunks of artwork. This will put more pressure on people having a hard time staying employeed, and would put more downward pressure on wages in countries like America.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I actually survived but it really sucks to see so many of my friends and some really good people let go. :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Nahh, and besides hes scared of me. I think he fears the wrath of my mighty tongue.

Were looking for senior character artists, art leads (character and animation) and engineers (all kinds).

I hear you paint with it. The last thing I'd want draped over my shoulder as someone points at my monitor... is the tongue. Especially when its not you giving the critique... Besides he steals all the women when you go out with his "I can lick the bottom of any glass trick".

Monolith would be a great place to work I hope some of you guys venture up this way, lots of great studios up here. Lots of indoors weather also... so you'll have lots of time to get work done.

Sucks that gearbox is laying people off, sad downturn in TX for sure, hopefully something local will pop up. Seems that the game making capitol switches every few years?

The good news is that the years almost over, next years budgets are almost set and we should see a lot less lay offs and closures. Hopefully...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    All I can say is I am glad I work for an independent developer!

Gearbox is an independent developer ...
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did they get rid of their COGs stuff? Nothing on the main page...
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18

Seriously, just because you work for an independent developer doesn't make you immune to these layoffs, it's still a business.

Although I hope it doesn't happen to anyone :)