Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular stuff for portfolio

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hiya, after some crits had a bit of a rethink so wanting to get the best result possible I made this wall which has modular bits that fit together...

What I want to do is create some low poly walls and normal map onto them but I'm wondering is this the right way to go about modular?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Why have three when all you need is one wall piece and one end cap? Then you can make 3-4 unique versions of each of those for constant, unrestrained variety.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    In addition to what Chris mentioned, be thinking about the grid as well. If your objects are modeled in standard dimensions and on a grid, they will be much easier to snap together in engine (or a 3d package).
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, no...I see why he has 3. But, the 3rd needs no column on it if the reason you want that is what I'm assuming. You just need the brick wall+metal railing without the end columns.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Medestruit, I don't think you've fully understood what Chris is saying. All of these 3 wall sections are essentially made of 2 pieces - the wall & railings, then the end pillar.
    You could create all of these sections with just 2 models.
    If you wanted to go a step further you could even make the railings a separate model so you could choose to just have the low brick wall without railings on top.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, the props are essentially made from 4 pieces. Main wall, pillar, pillar cap and railing. It would be possible to have a tile for the brick work, with the perpendicular bricks being laid out onto a different part of the tile map. The railing could have a tiling metal map. The pillar cap might be tiling, but it depends if you want to add dirt/scratches on the edges. You can texture the walls without making a high poly model.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    OK gotcha, will use the end cap and wall segment as individual pieces and try to snap them to whole grid squares. The reason I made 3 is because of what I had seen in modular design so far, it just struck me that each modular piece was a whole individual object that could be connected seamlessly.
    The other thing I'm not quite sure on is altering the high poly bricks and adding dammage etc, how far to go before the modular pieces look tiled if there are a few of them.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Medestruit, I don't think you've fully understood what Chris is saying. All of these 3 wall sections are essentially made of 2 pieces - the wall & railings, then the end pillar.
    You could create all of these sections with just 2 models.
    If you wanted to go a step further you could even make the railings a separate model so you could choose to just have the low brick wall without railings on top.

No, I fully understood what he meant. However, for it to be "modular" design, breaking it up into small pieces would break that. It's not really modular anymore if you are just using generic A with generic B and generic C; when A + B + C = D. If that makes sense. The more you break 1 piece down into many, the less generic modular it becomes. The point of modular design in gaming, or anything for that matter, is getting to your completed design in the smallest amount of steps possible.

True, the wall and the pillars are all you need. I was just saying that breaking it down further than corner angle, wall with 2 pillar ends, and wall kinda destroys that "pre-designed" look.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    If you had to present something that would be considered as fully modular would you expect to be supplying a whole object or two parts that latch together? Just don't want to get this wrong and if possible minimize that amount of work required and of course take everyones advice but the last reply has me a little confused.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No it doesn't. You can create the exact same set of 3 pieces from the two core components (pillar and wall). It's actually more modular by breaking it down into the bare minimum of parts.

The whole point of modular design is not to reach the design in the smallest amount of steps... it's really to be as re-usable as possible - the bigger and more specific you make your pieces, the less flexible and re-usable it is. For example, with his current set he wouldn't be able to use the pillar fallen over onto the floor next to a damaged wall section, since all his pillar parts have wall attached.

I have been working with modular design professionally on games for the past 3 years, I'd hope I know what I'm talking about (same with cholden, he is a very big proponent of modular asset construction).

While I can see what medestruit is saying (ie. you could build a "complete" wall layout in a level faster with your initial setup), that is not the final word of what designers and artists commonly call modular. Modular is when you can re-use it as much as possible in as many different ways.

To really complete this set I'd make a 4th section of wall which is maybe a unique-looking archway with a gate in it, or maybe take one of the standard wall lengths and knock it down so you could have a section of "destroyed" wall in the middle of the regular wall pieces.

Edit: Picture worth thousand words:

modularity.jpg

Note that all of these pieces are on a regular grid, too - 1 wall section is 4 pillars long, the gate is same width as wall, everything is designed so it can run on from any of the other pieces. So it's incredibly easy to "snap" them together on a grid either in Max/Maya or your favourite level editing tool. Basically you just end up with loads of possible combinations instead of limiting yourself to just the "specific shape" pieces you've made.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm bringing in modular from an architectural/mechanical engineering background, and that is what we would refer to as modular.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps you didn't notice this is a game art forum, and not a mechanical engineering forum? :)
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I realize that...but that is where my basis of defining "modular" comes from. And that is how I've carried modular over into what I've created for games. I'm quite sure most people's definitions would differ either way.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    wow MoP awesome picture. I too would have prob done a modular wall similar to the OP but using just the one section. Looking at your pic really helps think about even further breakup for more reusable use.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Medestruit: Sorry if I sounded harsh, I can totally see where you're coming from - I'm just trying to clarify things to prevent confusion, cos GCMP did say he was getting confused by the mixed messages - probably best if we keep everything in the realm of game art, since that's what we're doing here... although it's always useful to learn from stuff like architectural processes to see how the "real thing" is actually handled.

Obviously on the flip side of the coin you don't want to spend ages breaking everything down into really tiny pieces just so you can put together a billion different variations of pieces!

And as with everything in game art, there are no absolutes - there's just best working practices for different situations. If I was gonna be making a bombed-out housing estate then I'd definitely use the method I've shown here, since it'll give you the most variation and mileage without making tons of assets.
    However if you were making a level where it was just one house with a small walled garden, you might want to make larger, less interchangeable and more unique pieces just so the visual quality stays high.

One thing you must be careful of when working modularly is the "lego blocks" effect - too many pieces all at 90 degree angles, repeating one after another really obviously. One neat thing you could do with this set is have a longer, curved wall section where the ends are at 90 degrees to each other, then you could have nice round corners here and there to prevent everything looking too "snapped together".

Plus you can then do stuff like put decals on top to add dirt/damage, or have ivy/bushes/trees/rocks to place in front of the walls at irregular intervals to hide the repetition.

maybe i should write a tutorial on this, heh
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks for the advice MoP, the pics look great but a tutorial on this would be so important for good level and scene design in general, hint hint:thumbup:

So I snapped to grid at 200m per grid square, the pillar now occupies 3 squares in x and y, the wall 2 in width and 10 in length. The height is also in multiples of 2 though this may not be relevant?
    There's one brick there mostly sized up, was thinking of chamfering it, meshsmoothing it, adding some noise distortion to lay the wall out and then normal mapping onto those boxes there.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • Carl Brannstrom
    You could add some variation to the colors of the bricks. Usually they aren't exactly the same color:

http://www.bigfoto.com/sites/galery/background/background_brick_wall.jpg

You can also add some over all variation like holes, cracks, moss etc.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could chamfer your hard edges on the outer corners, as those bricks would be more worn there than anywhere else. Would produce a better normal for your low poly.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    corv - okay cool, will add some texture effects as overlays later but for now just the generic stuff till the set is complete, will update this soon :)
    Medestruit - ? Not sure what you mean by chamfering the edges, these are modular snap together bits so if the edges were chamfered that would mean they wouldn't be seamless anymore + I would have to start over with a new model and textures, correct me if I'm wrong but that's a huge leap backwards isn't it?
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would only be on your high poly, it would not affect the model other than the normal map and the texture. Your low poly wouldn't change. It would just make your corners look less um...forced, I suppose, in your texture. They would have more natural flow. Just a personal preference though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice progress for the colour variation i have a tip.

create your HP bricke=s with UVs (making sure they join in a cross formation, then duplicate them, and do an automatic layout on them once all postioned, then apply a brick style texure (no mortar just brick) with variation in colour across the map. this will randomly give each brick space in the uv map which will mean random varition great start with no painfull PS work just an extra bake for diffuse

this is sommit i made with this
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Shepeiro/roofsection.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    ...create your HP bricke=s with UVs (making sure they join in a cross formation, then duplicate them, and do an automatic layout on them once all postioned, then apply a brick style texure (no mortar just brick) with variation in colour across the map...

I had to read that 3 times before it made sense - ugh, my head!

GCMP: Go back to your first brick pattern, it's much more interesting.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    I had to read that 3 times before it made sense - ugh, my head!

i had to write that three times befor it made sense to me sorry, the flu's been posting in my brains absence
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    killingpeople - you mean the first post with the larger bricks?
    SHEPEIRO - going to do some stylising soon so will try out your idea :)
  • mziskandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mziskandar polycounter lvl 14
    Hi.. I've made the modular wall before with max + shockwave. Just want to share my experience.

When aimed for realtime + low poly, major problem attaching modular walls and objects are z-fighting - and I have implement a lot of face removal.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    two problems I see,
    1) adjust the UVs at the top of the wall so the the brick highlight is at the edge, right now the there's a shadow right at the upper edge.

2) the corners aren't right, it looks like these are big slabs of concrete with thin brick tiles on them. If you google "brick wall corner" you'll see what I'm talking about.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks for pointing that out, will get it corrected and post back with some broken sections soon
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    12 tris on the low poly wall segement? Is there a need for the 2 tris that are underneath the wall that never show?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Well possibly, MoP gave me an idea with overturned walls, just trying to keep it open so that maybe a non-broken wall section may be overturned also and half buried in a pile of rubble, something along those lines.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin