Home General Discussion

Gears of War 2 Artbook for the fail.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hi so I just got my gears of war 2 special edition in the mail today from amazon.ca Opened the box to take a look at the art book, it's hard bound glossy paper super cool and it's in fucking French! What the fuck? So for people that don't know when games ship in Canada what they usually do is include a French instruction manuel seran wrapped outside of the game box. In this case for whatever reason the main artbook is in french and the seran wrapped lower quality soft bound non glossy paper art book is in English. I feel ripped off.

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    is the art in french?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    OUI OUI CROUISSANT!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Even in English the book is fail. Filled with images you can find on most gaming sites and even then they're the size of a postage stamp. Very poor showing.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so not nearly as good as the first book.. :(
  • rich_13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah... All the art books that come with games are fail imo. I'd like to know about their creative processes and company guidelines. I want an insight, not just the pictures!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish they'd go the bioshock route, release a pdf or something.

Or release an art book that didn't have to fit in the dvd casing of the game, I'm guessing it's not the artists choice though, having their artwork shrunk so small.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    you're in Canada, don't they speak french??? :D

I bought the LE strategy guide for Gears2 thinking it came with a kick ass art book like this Gears1 ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Limited-Strategy-Official-Guides/dp/074400859X[/ame]) which I already own. Returned it when I found out no artwork inside from a friend. /me sad
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Super wrote: »
    Even in English the book is fail. Filled with images you can find on most gaming sites and even then they're the size of a postage stamp. Very poor showing.

I have to agree with this.
    Even the UT3 artbook was kind of a disappointment, Epic should learn with Bethesda, the Fallout3 artbook is pure win!
    It has a wide range of concept art, from weapons, environments, characters, props, etc, etc.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first LE i ever bought... and they had to do this to me

french 'art' book.
    i wanted to see concept art, sketches, high res models, and all that stuff
    instead i get already-released images

-sigh-
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I got what I was expecting from the artbook. Then again, I bought the game for the game.
    Sucks about the French, malcolm. I only flicked through my copy but I don't think you're missing much in terms of text anyway. But like you said, you got a soft cover version with the English translation.

-caseyjones
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i bought the gears 2 comic for £2.50, and that has some seriously win stuff.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    There's a "standard" new tinbox collectors format someone made up, that seems to be used cheaply for alot of games, and usually it means that the collectors content are quite slim, gears of war had it too.

gears-of-war-collectors-edition-box.jpg

now THIS is how I like my collectors boxes:

ageofempires550.jpg
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Still sounds better than the Fable 2 collector's edition... the DLC content is cool but the bonus dvd has a making of that is available for free on XBL (has been put up in sgements since late spring), concept art that can be found elsewhere (like the art book with the strategy guide) and a kick in the balls video showing the Hobbe figure that was originally planned, at all these cool locations across Europe.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Yeah the part I'm pissed about is the fact I bought the special edition only for this hardbound artbook, no other reason and after shipping and tax it cost 100 dollars for the game. And then they send me this piece of crap softbound english version of the book seran wrapped outside the box with a tear already on the book and damaged corners. Basically I paid extra money for something and did not receive it as advertised, I just phoned amazon.ca and it looks like they are willing to do a refund even though I had opened the seran wrap as there was no way of telling the book was going to be in French.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah... i like Blizzard's collector's editions they are usually packed chock full of goodies, and their art books alone are easily worth the extra money.

as for french, all i have to say is ... chocolat mousse
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Dekard wrote: »
    so not nearly as good as the first book.. :(

The first little book sucked too, to be honest. I can't stand the tiny "fit it in the tin" art books. The fallout 3 artbook also sucks.

I picked up the collectors edition strategy guide for Gears of War (first strategy guide I had bought since the SNES era, I think :) because it came with a GoW artbook. It's absolutely wonderful, full of huge versions of a lot of awesome stuff. I don't believe either version of the strategy guide (why the hell are there multiple versions of a strategy guide) comes with an art book, though.

Which sucks, because GoW2 is more beatiful than the first.
  • killingpeople
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yah the Age of Empires collectors edition was definetely a good one ( and I even got into the book ), along with what Blizzard did for there collector's editions for the WOW series. But that is mainly the difference between the PC version of a collector's edition, and lets stick the collector's edition to the size of the xbox/ps3 game box for shelf space. I say do them like the PC bonaza, and just keep them in back for people to get ahold of.

Spark
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    voulez vous du beurre?

...that's too bad though.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    The first little book sucked too, to be honest. I can't stand the tiny "fit it in the tin" art books. The fallout 3 artbook also sucks.

I picked up the collectors edition strategy guide for Gears of War (first strategy guide I had bought since the SNES era, I think :) because it came with a GoW artbook. It's absolutely wonderful, full of huge versions of a lot of awesome stuff. I don't believe either version of the strategy guide (why the hell are there multiple versions of a strategy guide) comes with an art book, though.

Which sucks, because GoW2 is more beatiful than the first.

My "The art of Gears of War" book is like 8x11 or so... I don't think we are talking about the same book. (i might have gotten it with the guide)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    voila mon passport.....
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Dekard wrote: »
    My "The art of Gears of War" book is like 8x11 or so... I don't think we are talking about the same book. (i might have gotten it with the guide)

Yeah that's the book that comes with the guide. The CE of Gears 1 came with this little 20 page hardbound art book that's about the same size or possibly smaller than the Fallout 3 CE artbook.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I got the Resistance 2 art book [quite small-tin box sized] and graphic novel [which I don't think is released yet] like 2 weeks ago for free, cause I works at ze Target and they sent us a folder of R2 stuff, and my manager said I could have it. Score! Also got a cool Little Big Planet poster...

I think it is cool the R2 collectors edition comes with a Chimera action figure. That's the kind of shit I love to see in collectors editions.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    IMAGE SPAM!

these are the prizes I acquired as mentioned above. [sorry for cell phone pics]

lbp.jpg

r2.jpg

r2two.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rawkstar wrote: »
    chocolat mousse

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhh smoooooooooothhhh babyyyy

fwiw, Gears1 had two art books: one that came with the CE (the small book w/ concepts & other images), and then a larger version w/ a lot more detail. Not sure what the state of one is for 2 (did a handful of the layouts in the first one).
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Good god... Nice prizes but Resistance 2 was so fucking dull...

As for gears 2, theres a full blown art book out there for 20 bones?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Just so everyone from Canada is aware, we can get hardcover english art books sent now -

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/support/games/gow2/