Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment WIP :: Also need help

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys, this is my first newb post here! I've been looking at art here for the past year or so and figured it was time to ask for your guys' critiques on something of my own.

I just finished this up tonight for my Advanced Texturing class at school.

If the topic stills says "Also need help," ignore that (aside from critiques). The thread title doesn't seem to be updating in the forums.

Programs:
Maya 2008
Photoshop CS3
UV Layout

Project info:
5982 triangles (excluding character)
Several 1024x2 and 512x2 diffuse, spec, and bump maps.

I'm too newb to work with normal maps yet, but even if I did know how I don't think it would be particularly useful for this environment.

Thanks for looking :)!

ancientruins1280lt8.jpg

ancientruinswirefameonsxp2.jpg

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    hey this looks pretty sexy :)

i suggest to add some geometry on the large rocks - at least make the silouhette less low poly. maybe bend the tower curve it a little, and add a texture for the path?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Is that top screenshot rendered or realtime ? Does look quite good, so I'm hoping it's realtime...
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    normal maps could have been pretty useful for some of your smaller detailed textures and using crazybump wouldnt be hard to do, but this comes off pretty nicely without them imo

I agree, the screenshot looks great, like the atmosphere. Hope its realtime too. Also agree with kio, paint in a path would break up that surface, and the path kind of stops right now where I'd expect to see a path.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea about the path. I have a texture near the back (right of the large rock) for a path, so I should continue that texture towards the foreground more.

No, this is not real-time, this is rendered.

I don't know what "real-time" means :(

Does that mean after I've plugged it into a game engine or something?

Here are a couple texture files for your viewing pleasure :p

towerdck4.jpg

grounddja1.jpg

bridgedpv5.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    realtime = rendered as it's being displayed, so... Videogames, tech demos, etc.

(alternative is pre-rendered, baked out to a video or image, magazine renders, movies, etc.)

this is beautiful man, some of the individual assets have problems (i think the textures have too much blurry shading and inconsistent levels of detail) but overall it looks awesome.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ agreed.

And yea, this is very beautiful, nice work.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there some plug-ins for Maya I can grab to make the stuff viewed in the view-port more... appealing?

The only thing I know of is clicking the Render drop-down in the view port then checking "High Quality Render"

That never seems to make things look all that great, and I've always been taught to work to render.

Thanks a lot guys, you're all a huge help :)!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice color composition
    it resembles a bit Diablo 3
    top10july3diablo3.jpg
    and color wise also abit alfons mucha and his jugendstil
    MuchaDawn.jpg
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    this is beautiful man, some of the individual assets have problems (i think the textures have too much blurry shading and inconsistent levels of detail) but overall it looks awesome.

Which individual assets do you think need some touching up? It may be my environment fog and low glow affects that create the atmosphere. It could be blurring some things around the edges, which is what I want, but if something really needs touching up let me know :)!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to address the large rock a bit more with some texture touch-ups and some shadowing. I also broke up the major ground plane a bit more.

Could someone link me to a detailed explanation of "real-time?" A wikipedia or forum post or something. I want to read up on it.

Here she is:
    shermanisaiahancientruiwk9.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Real-Time vs pre-renderd really isn't that hard.
    Pre-rendered is when your CPU churns away at all the calculations software-wise (brute force to crunch everything).
    Real-time is when your graphics card computes everything hardware-wise (on hardware built specifically to calculate 3D) at 30 frames per second or more.
    Real-time is what you see in games, and it's harder to pull off inside your 3D application. Stuff like shadows is barely supported for example (they added flaky, crude realtime shadows to 3DS Max since 2 versions).
    But you shouldn't be too bothered about that, if you really want to achieve the same level in realtime without exporting to a game-engine, it really takes a lot of effort and knowledge; knowing how to program HLSL shaders a bit is almost essential.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Great work man. Colors, lighting and overall visual style balance are very cool as to me ;)
    For now i've got 2 comments:

1) leafless trees need some more work. They have too few branches. Cone-like trunk is too evident and branches look right away as flat poly with alpha because there are not enough of them. Moreover, those 2 leafless trees are seen clearly against the sky and there are nothing behind to mask their "lowpolyness" so u could do them more complex and interesting.

2) Textures are great i.m.o. but they are all unique and not-tiled. Terrain like that usually should be done with smaller tileable square textures that mix together to create variety , road or anything else.
    Same goes for wall. It could be smaller tiled texture but over the wall u could add decals with dirt, moss, cracks etc instead of painting them directly in the wall texture. In the way u did it u can't reuse the wall or its texture without actual duplicating the wall as it is.

Your piece looks great, but it looks like it is executed far from real production way.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs: Thanks. Now if only I could get an entry level job for Blizzard. That's not going to happen, though XD

Matroskin: Thanks a lot for the critiques. I want to take a short break from this monster and those trees will be the first thing I address. As for the textures, they are tileable but on a much larger scale, large enough you can't really tell. I also tried to really push hand-painting my textures so the base textures are heavily mocked up with my own Photoshop brush work.

That still might not be practical as you're describing, though.

I'm sorry for my confusion of real-time vs. pre-rendered. In school we've only covered one way of showing off your art. Rendered. Sorry for dragging this on so long because I'm trying to make sure I fully understand it so I won't have to keep asking once I've figured it out.

~~~

Is it "bad" to render out the images? Do companies prefer to see real-time work over rendered work?

"Real-time is what you see in games, and it's harder to pull off inside your 3D application." So does that mean I was correct in assuming I am looking at real-time work when it's in my viewport with High Quality Rendering turned on (Maya)?
    liveQuestion01.jpg

Also, here is a scythe I made a while ago. If I am correct above, then this is also real-time, yes?
    scythe02.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    realtime == viewport
    simple as that, it does not matter that much as I can tell you that your pictures here so far looked realtime- style.
    Renderings usually have more complex light rendering methods like global illumination, better anti- aliasing and better texture filtering

again I really like the colors- good work
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for finalizing my question, renderhjs. I get it now. So the way you describe how I went about my render, an employer could care less since I tried to limit my render to standard game maps and spot lights for lighting?

The only real addition I get in the render are the slight glow affect of the ground plane, the environment fog, and the transparency maps that don't work live.

I guess in a sense I created a fake, polished real-time image without knowing it... or something.

My final question is, should I pursue what I achieved here with a stylized render that looks like it fits in the game environment, or should I pursue creating environments that look really nice in the viewport?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renders of game-art are not "Bad", it's just a bit strange to actually render 3D stuff that was made for realtime use in the first place. We had a discussion about this at game-artist a while back: http://www.game-artist.net/forums/general-discussion/7632-game-art-high-end-rendering.html. I've actually even changed my opinion since then: even things like fancy-looking reflections can be achieved in the viewport, like I'm doing with the car I have a topic about at the moment.

If an employer would care: well uhm i'm not all that experienced with how employers think since i'm still looking for my first internship, but I always find it a lot more impressing when somebody presents a kickass realtime image, as I know the trouble and effort that goes into that. I think a lot of people here think the same, so I guess art-directors that decide about employment might do so too. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?
    Just look at it as a bonus, you can of course render your stuff but you shouldn't use super-advanced stuff like global illumination and glossy raytraced reflections. You're doing a really good job at that at the moment, since you almost fooled me it could be realtime.
    But uhm, i'm not a Maya user, but i'm pretty sure you can get those opacity maps fixed (they seem to work on some of the trees already?). And if it's possible to use screen post-shadres in Maya, you could even pull off a realtime glow and perhaps even distance fog.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, your presentation of this isnt as bad as a rendered shot that uses GI etc, you have tried to keep it within the realms of game standards.

I would start focusing on real time enviroments if your going for a game job.
    You can get stuff as nice looking as this in unreal 3 with little effort, and its more relevant to show you can work to an engine. Fog planes, bloomed surfaces and your color curves are easily done, so you wouldnt stand to lose anything youve featured here.
    From experience, having stuff in engine is always a positive when applying. To be honest, it only really makes sense, if you are a game artist, to show things in a game environment.

I do hope this discussion of realtime v rendered doesnt detract from your work, which is really nice
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, you're all awesome. I got a lot more information out of this post than I even began to imagine, as well as some solid advice for future portfolio work!

That post, Xoliul, is awesome. I'm bookmarking it right now. I think this post really answers my question further.

(posted by benclark on page 1 [slightly edited])
    "I agree that screens [viewport] are the best way [to present game art] but I don't see rendering as cheating. If you take that stance then 95% of all the entries in all 3 dominance wars are cheating. What i do see as cheating is using GI, FinalGather, depth of field and stuff that is highly tweaked and post processed"

That makes me feel better knowing that I did create a render that falls into the guidelines of game art, which really is what I wanted to do here (and want to do with my career :p).

ImSlightlyBored: Where can I grab the Unreal3 engine? I won't bog up this post about how to use the engine once I get it. I'll post all remaining technical discussion about this elsewhere to keep this thread focused on this artwork primarily.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem man, glad I am of such service!

And wel I didn't really talk about an engine yet, but Unreal 3 is good. Very powerful, so a tad complex from what I've seen. If you want to use that you will need the game Unreal Tournament 3 for PC, it comes with an editor that allows you to import custom content, set up materials and create levels.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome, only bad thing is the broken rocks near the camera on the bridge wall look like they have low pixel density even though they dont. Also they could use a bit more geometry.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    I really like this the hand painted textures you have here they have a great watercolor look to them. This is a great environment piece.

As for the Unreal Engine, I am currently working on a Medieval themed MOD for the MSUC contest using the technology. Its quite a change coming from Source engine. The material editor is great, and it is very intuitive to getting your models up and running.

For example, today I threw together this test environment to get a first hand look at how my wip's are looking in game(as opposed to 3dsmax).

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seigeconcept03mg8.jpg

If you are interested in working with the engine and/or creating medieval environments for a game, we are currently looking for another Environment Artist to join us. I would be happy to get you up to speed with the technology.

Here is a link to our site. Check it out.

www.Archasis.com

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul: Now that I think of it, I believe my school actually as the Unreal 3 editor for use. I'll have to get in touch with a certain instructor to see if he could spare an hour or so giving me the low-down on how to use it. That or I could take the Game Production class and I think they dive right into it. Thanks!

commander_keen: Do you mean the jagged bricks at the top of the bridge wall or the flat side of the bridge wall itself?

buddikaman: That sounds great. If you're working primarily in 3DS Max, though, I will have a slightly steeper hill to climb as all my work is completed in Maya right now. Ultimately I do want to want to get 3DSMax under my belt because such a huge portion of the industry is done with that software. I'm also a full-time student, freelance concept artist, and have a possible internship coming up, so I am incredibly busy. If you have a few pieces here or there you'd like created I'd be more than happy to do it!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the trees in the back and adjusted the geometry in a few places. I think the trees "fit" a lot better now.

shermanIsaiah_ancientTemplt_1280v2.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    the closer tree looks better; however, as to me their issue stays the same.
    They lack polygons, they don't have enough branches thus it is very easy to see each brunch set as one plane. Their trunks also remain very straight and cone-like.
    The left most tree (with leaves) look way better in terms of its trunk shape. If those leafless trees would have more interesting shape and be more big/thick that would help i think.

I know that similar aesthetical issues can be seen in many real games, but this is your portfolio piece done not in real prod environment and therefore it needs to have real-game-prod-rush-crunchtime issues as less as possible cause in your case you will not have an excuse ;)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a great point, Matroskin. I'll work on just completely redoing them soon. Thanks for putting it in perspective :)!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i think its awesome, but theres something bugging me about the dappled effect on the ground- it looks like tree leaf shadows rather than clouds but there arent any trees above the ground, so it gives an underwater appearance (to my eyes) like the light patterns on the ground in shallow water
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a tutorial on my process of creating textures since a few people PMed me and asked... I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here, even if you're not interested.

http://artofhaiasi.com/tutorials/shermanIsaiah_handPainted_tutorial.pdf

That's a good point, rooster (I love your art by the way). I was trying to have the light imitate as if it were coming from the left side of the image and the sun was going through the leaves.

I had a small issue with lighting the leaves, though, and if they were too bright it pulled peoples' eyes away from where I want their interest to be: the middle.

Maybe I should reduce the area in which the leave shadows fall?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    you can get a copy of the unreal ed engine by buying unreal tournament 3. I would by the collectors edition so you have the video tutorials of the editor, since they are really good.

Great work by the way.