Home General Discussion

Let's buy stuff

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hi all!

I am about to get myself a secondary computer. My first drive was to get a laptop, but I realize that my needs might make the choice a little trickier than expected. So I thought I'd better ask for advice here. I am looking for a solution fitting the following :

- Small form factor.
It is intended to be somewhat of a bedside/couch computer. Hence the more portable the better (but not necessarily a laptop).

- Video output.
I want to hook this up to a video projector for movies and emulated games. This rules out the newest Macbooks since it seems like they have no DVI output.
I also want to hook this up to a Cintiq12WX. Meaning that I need the thing to be able to output 720p for the proj (1280*720) but also a native 1280*800.

- Power and usage
I don't intend to do much threedee on this secondary station, and it also seems like since it's being software rendered, Zbrush can run on anything anyways. Hence 3d power is not the main thing. My main use would be Photoshop and maybe even more often alternative programs like SAI and Artrage - on top of the multimedia uses mentioned above

- OS
I don't really have a preference between Win and Mac. I just want to avoid Vista since I have seen way too many issues regarding its handling of video acceleration (black screen switch)

- Price
Around 1000USD

So far I found the following. But maybe I am missing some important specs so let me know

Dell Studio Hybrid
Dell Studio 15
Mac Mini
older Macbook pro

Maybe a tablet PC could fit aswell but I really don't know anything about them...

Suggestions welcome!

Replies