Home General Discussion

Zombies don't run!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
http://io9.com/5076794/simon-pegg-demands-a-return-to-traditional-zombie-values
The best phantasmagoria uses reality to render the inconceivable conceivable. The speedy zombie seems implausible to me, even within the fantastic realm it inhabits. A biological agent, I'll buy. Some sort of super-virus? Sure, why not. But death? Death is a disability, not a superpower. It's hard to run with a cold, let alone the most debilitating malady of them all.

Simon Pegg's all kinds of awesome! :D!

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I agree fully with this man. Zombies... do.. not... run!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    True, true true. Zombies dont' but I'm glad he mentions the super virus- plague zombies from other movies (28 days later etc) that do in fact run.

They, however, are not zombies, though they look like them.
    - i find these creatures much more frightening than the traditional zombie.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    zombies do run. I've seen them do it.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree, but for a video game, if Left4Dead pans out to what the gameplay videos show, I would much rather have running zombies (infected) than shambling turtles of death. Or at least have one random one that runs at you pushing all the others aside to make some tense moments.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    In Left 4 Dead they aren't zombies, they're infected with a mutated strain of rabies.

The only actual running zombies I've seen (that I can remember) were on the show Dead Set which was on last week here in the UK.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    The only actual running zombies I've seen (that I can remember) were on the show Dead Set which was on last week here in the UK.

... which means that zombies run. They were zombies. And they ran. Pretty clear really.
  • killingpeople
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    do not blaspheme on the shambling of the dead.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Run yes. Swim no. Running depends on the condition of the legs. One legged zombies don't run.

Nice vid KP
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    ... which means that zombies run. They were zombies. And they ran. Pretty clear really.

I'm not sure if you were trying to make some point I'm not getting. I was pointing out to sicsided that in Left 4 Dead they aren't zombies, and saying that the only time I've seen zombies running was in Dead Set.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'm just pointing out - to everyone - that zombies do whatever the hell people tell them to do. If someone makes a zombie run, or swim, or turn into a butterfly, then that is what zombies do.

for they are not real
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you were trying to make some point I'm not getting. I was pointing out to sicsided that in Left 4 Dead they aren't zombies, and saying that the only time I've seen zombies running was in Dead Set.

I know Valve has called them infected, but they sure throw around "zombie" a lot with promotional material and on the blog.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I love Simon Pegg and as a long-time zombie fan(it's my yearly halloween costume) I get where he's coming from.
    Running zombies appeared in the 2004 re-make of Dawn of The Dead (while not as great as the original, I didn't think it was bad) and they scared the hell out of me. You see them ambling along outside of the mall in usual zombie fashion and then suddenly they get wind of the survivors and break into a full sprint. Completely unexpected and I thought, awesome. One of them is even wearing jogging attire and missing an arm.

I understand, with all of the mainstream zombie and zombie-like movies and games over the past years the desire to hold onto classic zombie values before it's completely bastardized, but I will keep my heart open to all terrifying and awesome hordes of undead.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    danr wrote: »
    i'm just pointing out - to everyone - that zombies do whatever the hell people tell them to do. If someone makes a zombie run, or swim, or turn into a butterfly, then that is what zombies do.

for they are not real

Zombies are not real? That's what you're pointing out? Spot on, brother! Can you give us the verdict on water as well? Rumor on the street is that it's wet, this water. Confirm or deny?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Aye, it has been confirmed. Water is, in fact, wet. However, a new discovery shows that upon reaching a mean temperature of 32 degrees farenheit, its consistency changes from "wet" to "unwet"

PS - My theory is that rigor mortis would kindof complicate running. Then again so would death.

In the end though, even though zombies dont traditionally have the ability to run, these new age fast running sprinting maniacle rabid zombies scare way more feces out of my sphinct than the slow shambly ones.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough to Danr and sicsided.

I think we can all agree though, that free running zombies is pushing things too far. I saw a trailer of a low budget film with zombies free running, sadly not able to find the clip though.

Trust me though, it didn't work.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    vermilion wrote: »
    Zombies are not real? That's what you're pointing out?

no
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Running zombies = scary. Shambling zombies = not scary.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    Running zombies = scary. Shambling zombies = not scary.

/= true
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i'd have to disagree:

leirun.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    leilei wrote: »
    i'd have to disagree:

leirun.gif

Yes, but, she's a zombie through magical / demon means, so that's kind of nullifying the generally accepted idea of a zombie.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    zombies are scary because of one thing numbers. It doesn't mater if they can only shamble because when you run away from them you end up running into more of them getting cornered. Also the slow movements don't pick up very well with our senses so they can easily sneak up on distracted people. Zombies can only sprint for very very short distances much like someone very very drunk. So say one ran at you all you would have to do is side step and it would ram its head into the wall behind you as it wouldn't have the reflexes to stop or turn. This way the dumb ass's could try this have it work then do a victory dance only to have it get back up while in mid dance and bite into his neck or legs. Im fine with zombies trying to run just so long as when they try then suck at it.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    leilei wrote: »
    i'd have to disagree:

leirun.gif

Yeh he got it wrong, AstroZombie dont run!
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Shambling..running..what about a shambling/running combo, running wildly from the fast ones would cause you to turn a blind corner and go right into the shambling ones. (I like that word, shambling..good one)
    Maybe just in case we should all train for both long and short distance running for when the zombie apocalypse happens, I like to be prepared.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing: speed simplifies the zombie, clarifying the threat and reducing any response to an emotional reflex. It's the difference between someone shouting "Boo!" and hearing the sound of the floorboards creaking in an upstairs room: a quick thrill at the expense of a more profound sense of dread...

He makes some good points in the Guardian article. I think it's a matter of personal horror preference and 9 times out of 10 I'd pick the slow-moving zombie movie. I'm glad Ogle mentioned the Dawn of the Dead remake, that movie made good use of the running zombie.

That said, if a real dawn of the dead were to happen today and the zombies were runners, pretty much everyone outside of a fortified structure would be fucked. One of the biggest advantages survivors are meant to have over the undead is speed.

Also, The Walking Dead comic. Good read, but I don't think 'The Sprinting Dead' or 'The Power-walking Dead' would really work...
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • danr
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And are known for dismantling corgie trousers presses.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    if they are capable of running then they are capable of processing information very quickly, and so must have active brains, and therefore aren't dead as death is technically when the brain stops working. or something. i dunno, whatever. point is, if they are able to process speed and sensory information that quickly, why wouldn't the rest of the brain be functioning too? it would be more like likening zombies to cheetahs than to insects in their behavior
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Shakespear put it best when he wrote:
    "When you whack a Zombie, do they not splatter?
    If you break their limbs do they not shamble?
    If you aim for the head to they not die?
    And if they bite us shall we not become one of them?"
    Don't be a hater, kill all zombies equally. Fast or slow they all fit into "the living dead" category. If it comes at you with hunger in its undead eyes, shoot, bludgeon, stab, smash or squash it with whatever you have on hand.

If you want to be a purest and try to reserve the word Zombie for slow moving undead beings that's cool, but some bokor might take offense, and I tink it could be not-so-pretty for you, mon... They've been making, REAL living drug-educed-zombies for far longer then modern undead film zombies have been around.

Yea the Zombie Survival guide is an awesome read (or listen on the way to work).
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Yes, but, she's a zombie through magical / demon means, so that's kind of nullifying the generally accepted idea of a zombie.

She's also Chinese which is a completely different mythology set with different rules/ideas.